soccer player wip

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Rekmar polycounter lvl 19
been working on this for the last couple of days
it's a soccer player, generic for now

http://geocities.com/rekmar11/es-player-wip1.jpg

I'm looking for crits mainly on the body, as well as the overall topology
the look on the face is temporary for now, until I decide which real player I will make this model become

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hes got no eyelids right now.

his arm looks a tad broken at the elbow. Forearm bends upwards too much.

You can probably kill some polys right in front of the ear.

those are the main things im seeing. Otherwise its looking good.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Firstly - nice work.

You have several triangles around the shoulders, and in my opinion and experience this is one of the wort places to have them - the deformation will not be as nice as pure quads.

I've been skinning 50% of the characters for our games for the past year, so in this case that jumped right out.

The ears are too small and *perhaps* too low down the head.

The clothing seems very straight - use some of those loops to kick out a few large wrinkles. Look at your clothing right now - I bet you are wearing tshirt and jeans. The shoulder might be squared off with the thicker stitching then the fabric drop, and you will almost certainly have several horizontal folds or half folds.
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    A Player that i think will be the revelation of the Germany WorldCup is the Argentine LUCHO GONZÁLEZ.
    lucho.png
    He plays on my Club FC PORTO and he made a Magnific season, So i think u could try modeled him smile.gif Just a idea!
    The model looks ok, but his ears are to small and in rong place, who gives a strange look to the face.
    BTW Mexico is in the same group of Portugal so I wish u good Luck for the world cup!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pffft

Steven Gerrard and his 26 yard shots are the win!
  • Rekmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grrrrrr, I hate writing a long post and getting it deleted (then again, who likes it?)

seems I woke up the soccer fans in this forum, you don't see much of this in here smile.gif

updated the model
    improved the face topology (I think it's better) and the shape of the face, added eyelids, fixed the arms, killed some poly's at the ear, and I think I made the shoulders better (need more input on this)

ok enough briefing, pic:
    http://geocities.com/rekmar11/es-player-wip2.jpg

I also made him look a bit more to who it is intended to be, but I won't reveal his identity yet, nor will I ask you to guess until I texture him (not much to guess with a plain low-poly model)

Rick: I followed your advice except on the cloth wrinkles and folds. that will go in the texture as the model is already heavy at 4096 poly's and it's for a game (tho the programmer says it's fine), and yes you got me I am wearing a tshirt and jeans as I do everyday, are you spying on me? smile.gif

ultra: sorry but I only pan do to players that are already stars, if I were to make the face of an Argentine revelation it would certainly be Messi
    btw Mexico is with Portugal but also with Iran and Angola so it won't be that hard. actually Mexico is said to be in one of the easiest groups (see also Spain and Brazil). Good luck to Argentina with the Netherlands and Serbia & Montenegro

Gerrard is high on my list too if I am to make more faces for the game, but this one won't be him

I'll be waiting for info about specs before I can texture him (info of normalmapping if we decide to use it, since mirrored UWVs may not be supported but if they are and I make the UWVs unique it would be a waste)
    so for now I'll just be focusing on the model
    thanks for the comments, still looking to improve
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Uau! that looks alot better now. Not much to say about it, looks great to me.
    His face seems to me Wayne Rooney but his body seems Zinedine Zidane. But i ll wait for the texture to guess who is he.
    Thats for a game? a new i believe. ProEvolutionSoccer and Fifa´s models are very low poly, so i think is not for that games.
    Btw I am Portuguese not Argentine :P
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Rekmar. I feel like his arms/shoulders are a little bulky perhaps? Maybe it's just in side view. Footie players tend to be somewhat pear shaped (an exaggeration of course) in that they have very muscular legs and slender upper bodies for obvious reasons.
    The forehead seems to kinda jut out a little, but for all I know he's like that in real life, whoever he may be!

Nice model.
  • Rekmar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your comments guys

yes ultra it's for an indy game that I just started working on with some programmer (his idea, his project), I'm a ProEvo fan so I will try to have an influence on how the gameplay works so it feels abit like ProEvo

the body is generic and it will stay that way so that faces can be changed in-game, so any resemblance to a real player's body would be pure coincidence. I don't want to exaggerate the look of pear shaped legs and torso (like Roberto Carlos, and EA FIFA's models) because it is generic and there are alot of players that don't have those proportions (barcelona's Edmilson is a good example)
    what I did was to make the shoulder area just very slightly less bulky (thanks Daz)
    no new pic since the changes are not too significant.

I've now uwv'ed him but I can't start texturing yet until I get more info about the layout (should we decide to use normalmaps, I need to know if they can be mirrored)
    and so, I will now start rigging him

now, I am wondering what is the best approach for rigging him, considering he will go into a game (OGRE based). So far I've only rigged models using biped (using skin) and nothing else, so I'd love to know about the advantages of a more complex rig and how complex I should make it, if there are any downsides, etc.
    also, if I can use biped with a complex rig as well, or if I should just forget about biped and go for bones (I like how biped can translate animations from a character to another one, but in this case it might not be needed)
    also also, is the 3ds max rigging tutorial good enough? is it really neccesary to have 5 bones in the spine?
    any info/tips/theory about the whole rigging thing would be apreciated
    thanks

later