Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prague National Theatre-Environments

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
pliang polycounter lvl 17
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/pliang/prague.jpg

Hey guyz, this is prolly my first post...I'm a game art student currently tailor an environment reel, I'm making two scenes and this is one of them...which is the Prague National Theatre in Czech Republic that I'm planning to texture it in a stylized texture, I'm UVing it but right now I have the shaded model showpiece so far...the theatre
any crits and suggests on the model and texture scheme for my level of detail? The count is under 30k tris...I'm fixing my profile rite now so the image cannot be shown yet

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be pimping and previews, 2d/3d is for technical questions and stuff. Yeah i know it might be sorta confusing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Moved.

The image is really low-res and blurry, given the size of the image.

It would be much easier to see the usage of polys and such if the screenshot was clearer, just make your viewpanel bigger and grab that.

It looks pretty good from what I can see though.
  • tom.drin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tom.drin polycounter lvl 17
    Nice likeness.
    Did you have any special reason for modeling Prague environment?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnx guyz, I'll take note of it...as for the 3rd reply
    I'm modeling it for a city scene that I'm gonna try texture it to look like Hell Gate: London for my theme though it isn't london for my environment reel
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I've been working split between my school GPW work and portfolio at the same time but I did managed to squeeze some more work into my first and most will be, my showpiece scene which is about half way completed overall with all features in.

I'm currently finishing my final camera walkthrough and fixing the motion sickness within it.

I'm attempting to have it lit in a dusk like ambience (Haven't tuned lights yet)

Also I'm editing my exusting textures to final resolution of 256 or lower while combining the neighborhood buildings

and I plan to have three cameras, one panning and looking at the theatre, two panning thru the streets and showing off the houses built.

Feedbacks appreciated before I attempt more.

Thanks for the comments guys

tobeposted.jpg

tobeposted_two.jpg

tobeposted_three.jpg

tobeposted_four.jpg
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey there, this is looking great. I was actually just wondering if you're at the art institute in Burnaby? sounds like ya might be. smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I am, nor would I be too surprised haha...

Thanks for the comments...I'm almost done feature wise as in what should go in there but becoause the size of my projects is rather immense I'm having a hard time setting up my lights...I heard ambient light is the worst and I found out about that but what I plan to light around is my theatre building and the streets the most to showcase moy buildings within a dusk lit time of the day.

If anyone can bring in a hint of two on how to balance that out I could really use some of it.

Thanks guyz
  • madC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking quite sweet.

In the 4th image there's a problem with your windows. The third building is 4 stories tall where as the 3 buildigns surrounding it are all 3 stories tall. The problem being that the 4 story building is the same height as the other 3 buildings.

In the third picture the building to the far left you could place those windows at the door level.

And I guess you could add more lamps in the inner streets.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so far I got the textures in there and near finalized but I'm trying to get my lighting in there (pretty much my last step) and maya 8 keeps crashing as I try tuning the lights (even just hitting render), it happened right after I added a projection mao with my spotlight (it could be the root of the problem)

so far I used a light dome and couple of spot lights and projections along the trees with some point lights in the distance to create the distant lighting but its not working quite well.

I changed my skybox for this scene too as the one before was way too rezzy (low res)

image_to_date.jpg

advice and pointers welcome

Thanks guyz
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just had a question in mind as I tweaked my first pass lighting...

anyone knows what is and how "Final Gathering" works in maya 8? I only know that it probably has seomthing to do with light renders in mental ray but I have not touched it before, if anyone can show me and/or describe what tha tis I'd appreciate it.

thanks guys