Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Samurai - CgChat #32 continuance

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
didn't manage to make the time to finish this one before the comp ended, but I have kept working on it over the past week or so as the hours present themselves. Its still in progress, but should be done soon.
Its 1710tris and a single 512. Under spec of 2ktris and 512s. Image is Unlit, ie texture only.
NearlyDone.jpg

Thoughts and crits welcome. I must improve myself, as I wish to garner a real job this summer.

Replies

• Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I want 'facial' hair for some reason, and bigger swords. Not sure the legs match the character. Cool mask.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    You've painted the mask up well, but the rest of the texture is lacking. I would fool around with different colour schemes, as the red, green, yellow, that your using at the mo really don't sit well together.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser:No hair on this mask. smile.gif perhaps on a varient. The legs I think need more armor but once the feet are done that should help clear it up.
    Gav: I've been feeling similarly. The mask is nice, but the rest is kinda bland, but I'm not sure where to go with it. I've found myself just heavily referencing a single armor piece. Do you have any suggestions as to where to go with it? I'll definatly look into other color combinations. The yellow is eventually going to be much more "gold" once I get to it.

I'm thinking I might want to just put this on hold for a week and do a deamon, then come back with fresher mind.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea.. that color scheme is not workin for me. I'd say thats what you should work on the most.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Now that I see it textured, I think his head could actually be a little larger, and have the center placed a bit higher. He actually looks like a normally proportioned character with a face for a chest-plate, instead of a bean-warrior. Doesn't help that the gold things on top look like a hood.

Also looks like you're using a lot of black to shade. Thats a no-no.

Perhaps give his legs a harlequin pattern to them? Thats about all I could think of for color adjustments.

If you put him aside to do a deamon, you'd better not forget about him or i'll unleash hordes of malnourished cats on you!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually there is very little to no black in the shading. The gamma on my laptop is quite different than the lcd im looking at now, and I see why you would say that. The only black in the shading occurs in the deep shadows of the helmet, the eye sockets, and some of the plate joints. The rest are deep semi-desaturated shades of the primary color.

I'll try a red, black or navy, and gold varient. hmm anyone else a 3d.sk member and know if they have a samurai armor set? I've got a mideval knight set, but I could use some good referance for samurai armor.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    o_0

Thats um. Scary. Sorry XD