Home General Discussion

New Spore Video!

polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    wow that planet with the spirally mountains is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game!

hope they release this on the Wii
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one who thinks this game really wouldnt be that amusing to play more than one time. It seems like it would be fun for a day or so, but then it would get boring.

Despite all the customizability that it has, almost all of it is entirely aesthetic. The game seems like it would play the same every time.

Now Im not saying it wouldnt be fun, cause I love sandbox games. I just dont see this being able to hold my attention for a particularly long time as is the case with the sandbox "genre"
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    From what they have said, all the critter customization influences gameplay.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Am I the only one who noticed Polycounts smiley logo pop up when he was clicking on the insects about 40-45% into the video?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't that just a happy, green smiley?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    it's a normal smiley face. just very similar to the polycount smiley logo.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Am I the only one who thinks this game really wouldnt be that amusing to play more than one time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dito. I'll probably get the game, but I anticipate getting bored of it fairly fast.

And yea, I noticed that PC smilie as well. laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Im actually getting a little concerned about the sandbox feel too. It's starting to feel *very* Peter Molyneaux to me. Having worked for the bloke, and played all of his games, I never quite understood how he earned his god like status as an industry guru. Even as an employee I felt like Bullfrog games were fun to tinker around with for half an hour but then got old fast. Here's hoping they steer it away from the Populous re-hash that it's starting to feel like now. I'm not sure why, but I actually prefered the earlier videos. It seemed fresher somehow, and the stuff at the cellular level more interesting. The sound and music in this is fantastic though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I dunno. HL2 felt like a sandbox game to me
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't that only with Gary's mod?

Daz: That's the difference between Peter Molyneaux and Will Wright. Most of Wright's games had a lot of long-time value because the simulation was deep enough to support a large variety of possible scenarios and always bring along enough problems to keep the player occupied. Compare the complaints and wishes of your people in Black & White and Sim City.

I don't see much change eween this and the GDC presentation except this is obviously much shorter and as such missing many elements.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I really like it, I can already imagine playing around making little critters. The way I understood it is it didn’t truly become a full-on sandbox until you’d basically beat the game. I doubt I’ll uninstall this game anytime soon after purchase. Unless it's crap.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's a normal smiley face. just very similar to the polycount smiley logo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Black & White 2 had extremely similar polycount smileys, too
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the difference between the first one and that one seems to be that the first video actually showed your progression through the game and how it could be played. This vid seems like pretty random clips of gameplay with no context to what the player is doing.. Which is why it seems kind of unemotional to me. Still really looking forward to it, I think they made a mistake just throwing together a bunch of clips
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Eh?
    What's not to like about Peter's or Will's games?
    I still play Sim City to this day. If they had a version of Populous or Power Monger for PC, I'd still play that as well.

I don't see where the idea comes from, that these games are only fun for short periods of time. Look at games like Resident Evil, or Halflife. You play through them once, and beat it. It's always the same game, regardless of how many times you play it.
    Games like Spore, Sim City or Populous, change when you play them. They are always differant, and that adds replay value.

Sure, the gamePLAY is always the same, but it's like that in any game. Point, shoot, run, open door. Repeat.

I'm very much looking forward to Spore smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that with e.g. Black & White the short period of fun is shorter than the singleplayer campaign.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Really? I played all the way through it. Hell, I played through nearly half of Black & White 2 in one sitting.

I dunno. I like those kind of games smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    You are weird.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    devils advocate.

no sandbox game has ever lived up to it's hype. black and white 2 especially.

The game EVO for SNES is very similar to this title, so I would'nt really call it original either.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    "no sandbox game has ever lived up to it's hype."
    Sim City! GTA! Deus Ex!

What's original about this game is procedural/user created content that is autoswapped over the internet.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I would'nt call GTA or Deus Ex a sandbox game. Sure you can do whatever you want, but there are usually only a couple ways to progress gameplay. Especially Sim City Scenarios. Sure build how you want, but if you are trying to lower polution you typically would'ny build coal plants every 3 feet.

What i'm talking about it a progressive sandbox game, where your choices, no matter the path still progress gameplay. Spore claims this, as it is the heart of the concept. But I'm still going to wait for more proof.

GTA is just trash. It's scripted nonsense, and the only sand boxing you can do is run people over or shoot them.

As far as user created content goes. I can't wait for the Spore DBZ mods. Look I make SAYIN 50 GOKU Ameoba!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who says Spore won't have challenge scenarios where you have a specific goal? Sim City is a complete sandbox if you're not playing the challenges and most players probably keep playing the freeform game most of the time. Of course you can run out of money in Sim City but it seems you can do the same in Spore AND have to prevent your species/town/planet from being destroyed.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    gta is trash?? man I couldn't have a more opposite opinion.. some love went into that game and Im not talking about hot coffee tongue.gif. as for sandbox I reckon its half and half. Sure there are story bits and missions, but I played it way after I had completed those