Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment : D-Day Cliffside

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys...

Created this environment for my high school "senior project" class. We each had to set a goal for ourselves and needed to accomplish it my the end of the school year. My goal was to create a 3d environment utilizing Maya and Photoshop that I could use as a portfolio piece.

The poly count came to 24,693 faces. The textures were :

---COLOR---
256 x 256 - 5
256 x 512 - 1
512 x 512 - 12
1024 x 1024 - 5
---NORMAL---
256 x 256 - 1
256 x 512 - 1
512 x 512 - 7
1024 x 1024 - 3
---Alphas---
256 x 256 - 2
256 x 512 - 1
512 x 512 - 1
1024 x 1024 - 2

All textures were either created from scratch or pictures I took around my neighborhood that I then edited in Photoshop. No texture CD's were used.

080kp.jpg
108rw1.jpg
141hf.jpg
154zi.jpg
037mm.jpg
021ig.jpg
094vk.jpg
041gq.jpg
114sw.jpg
124ct1.jpg
018tt.jpg
061bq.jpg
053kh.jpg
079hz.jpg

Textures :

019jp.jpg
020jt.jpg
038bq.jpg
045ne.jpg
054sa.jpg
061kq.jpg
076ue.jpg

Wire :

017lb.jpg
025oe1.jpg

Any crits or comments would be greatly appriciated.

Replies

• hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    IMHO the planes of grass ruin the whole thing, what does it look like if you remove them? (the single plane grasses)
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    The texture underneath the grass tiles very well, and I can also put clumps of grass in instead of the planes. Worth a try.
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I think you could cut some polys on that cliff face. The sand bags seem proportioned more like pillows than sand bags. The cannon could use a texture.

Maybe play around with the hardware render mode. It tends to look a hair more like something would in a game engine. Or heck, put it in a game and then get screengrabs of that.

Nice show, particularly for high school. Keep posting!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Dude ming showing me a few pics (Wire/texture) of your bushes? I'm making a load of foliage models atm and TBH i like yours, just not sure how to go about it.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hm...its too clean for my tastes ... solution : dirty it up laugh.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, just abotu to say - this looks far too clean.

it's like a first pass - laying out the geo and the base textures. Now you need to go in and make it look like what it is:

It is a bunker
    It has been lived in by many men for quite some time
    There is a lack of sanitation
    It has been attacked.
    It is coastal, so will be eroded by wind and rain
    Sea birds will have decorated it.
    Sand and dirt will have blown all over it.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it has been attacked (I doubt the gun would have been left in there after the attack) but it could use moss and perhaps coal dirt. Also I don't think people live in these things, they just go there while on duty. Seriously, these bunkers aren't nearly large enough to be actual housing. Maybe you could fit a table for playing cards in there but no beds. Not like there aren't enough villages to live in nearby.

The cliff needs more layers of rock, cliffs don't have a monotone colour. Erosion should be more prevalent on the lower areas, especially near the water. The grass on top prevents erosion somewhat while the cliff is made of sandstone or limestone, which is easily eroded by rain.

I don't quite get what the hedgehogs are there for, vehicles aren't going to drive up that cliff.

ShowcaseFedericEberhardtNormandyCoastAB_0006.jpg

photos of such a bunker
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It WAS attacked, seveal times, but Dey Jermans, dey won. Dey bummed our chippy.