Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realtime Village scene

shardy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
shardy polycounter lvl 18
Hi All,

I have been working away at this small village area for a while, and I think its getting a bit stagnant on me frown.gif. I cant think of any items etc to populate the area with, at the moment it looks very bland.

Theres the structures, but nothing to go with them!(as you can see below)

map3.jpg

So fire away at anything you think should be included in this scene, as wacky or plain as you may think it is, I would love to hear it smile.gif

Thanks!

Replies

• noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    cant think of anything to populate the scene with!! good heavens, that's the fun part. try to think about where the village is located, and who lives there, and what their lifestyles are like. are these tents permanent or temporary? how do they gather food, and prepare it once it's gathered? do they have means of transportation, storage, commerce, or religion? what building materials do they use, and what tools or apparatuses (apparati?) would those materials require to be used?

think up some answers to questions like that and you can come up with interesting, relevant stuff in no time.

also I'd scale up the UVs on the ground plane, those pixels are really hurting. the weedy plants in the foreground are nice. those mountains in the background are way way wayyyy too steep, unless this is supposed to be an extremely stylized fantasy setting, I'd make them more like real mountains... and the mid-range texture on them is a bit odd. very crisscrossy.

what engine are you showing this in? I just noticed the message box in the corner. and is that a tiny person by the middle tent??? now I'm very curious.
  • shardy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shardy polycounter lvl 18
    Hey there thanks for the comments smile.gif

The engine is the Torque Engine (www.garagegames.com) unfortunately I cant scale up the UVs on the ground frown.gif they are stuck at a 256 texture with crappy scaling i know.

I guess I probobly should have given a bit more of an idea of the theme, I am looking at a stylised fantasy setting.

the inhabitants here are known as the 'Ayotlqui' or Turtlemen essentially. They are a nuetral race that live in small villages within jungle environments.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Well, then, think about, or find out about the following questions:

What do they eat? Do they eat it raw, or cook it? How do they store food? Do they trade? if so, what? How do they transport it? On their backs? on Travois? On a cart? a wagon? Do they fight? if so, with what weapons? How do they express themselves, or worship their gods? Most art in early cultures was for instruction, such as "this was a successful Hunt", or, "This was a big event for our tribe", or for religious Reasons "These marks indicate that this individual had pass a rite to become and adult", or "This god is great, and powerful!". So do they decorate representationally (Lascaux Caves", or abstractly "Early North African Cultures, or the Jomon people of Japan? Are there weapons racks out side the tent or inside? Is property community, or indivdual? Answers these, and you will soon figure out what props and associated "clutter" these people will need to make the village look lived in.

Remember Hobbiton in Peter Jackson's films? They figured out these questions, and then built the town and left it out in the wweather for a year, so that everything had a "lived in look, but you saw things like fences and gate, meaning the Hobbits were somewhat territoruial. Their dwellings were from the outside modestly decorated, but had extensive gardens, for not only vegitables, but Flowers. But the insides were well joined woold and whitewashed plaster, very clean, and well crafted. Showing that the Hobbits were very houseproud. Think to that sort of level of detail and the decision become easy. Does this help?

Scott