Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

fat frankendude

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
JordanW polycounter lvl 19
Here's a guy I've been working on for a lil while, I still have a bit to do on him but i figured i'd post how much i have thus far.... crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

franken.jpg

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Holy Franken-christ Batman! I take it he's for Doom3/Quake4?

He's awesome in a cartoony ugly/cute kinda way. Nice normal map. My only crit so far would be that the toes on his left foot look a little mussed up.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    gross! that's awesome. all you need is a drool particle effect from those nasty jowls...
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Really well done jordan.

But, honestly, do you club like feet get you off? I am gonna throw something at you now. too bad you wont be reading this to know its coming. Fixxxx the feeeeeet.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that is a cool character and well done smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heyhey supercool! Digging the green, spotty, bumpy skintone. Would you mid showing some flats?

My only crit would go for the pipes, they look a bit overdone in terms of volume faking. Simple patterns might work better.
    Is that an Xnormal glow we see here? Nice touch!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    pretty sweet stuff, tinman. also, thanks a lot for not showing up at the boston pcounter meet, i'll never post to one your threads AGAIN frown.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a hermit. what can i say. frown.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well i guess i can forgive IF you've been spending your time crafting beasties of this caliber. laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great job man laugh.gif the eye is my favourite part, and the mushed up toes, although I suggest defining the toes a little bit in texture so theyre not totally merged.
    Brill stuff
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is made of WIN. Some of the colors are a bit too vibrant i think. Making it more obvious that you're trying to do too much with the normals, makes the wires and stuff stand out too much.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love it ! the tubes are overdetailed, but that was already mentioned so you can wash my mouth with poop smile.gif

love the colors...excelent use of normal maps...mind showing the texture sheets ?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    wow @_@ awesome dude. Absolutely love the face, so much character.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's some friggan texture sheets! and a wire frame too
    confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif
    frankwire.jpg

frankflat.jpg

I was greedy and painted all the maps at 2048, which btw my computer hates....................
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That absolutely rules tinman. But yeah, what stoof said. The feet are begging for polygons. Great work though man.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    That f'in rocks tinman. I really like all the shades you used in your diffuse map. totally sexy. Well and all the stitches.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    yea man, really nice job! agree on what others have said though. Why not take him up a few hundred and just smooth him out a bit overall. The tubes coming out of his back/neck can need some extra segments aswell me thinks

anyways.. this makes me slap myself for not beeing able to even complete a normalmapped weapon lol (damn work! smile.gif

nj!
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Haha freakin awesome!!
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Wow..thats...disgusting... tongue.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I love it!
    I also like how you put a good amount of detail into the diffuse as well, too many people think that they can just let the normal take care of all the detail and leave the diffuse looking bleak.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i certainly love it.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    This is great. But I'm curious what it would look like if the spec wasn't so prominent.
    This is sort of a general question for everyone, but is there a way to make a normal mapped model not have that "normal mapped" look. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ha soul.. i think u want some x-tra tex only for material-behavior .. so skin more diffuse with more usage of the skintone and metall - sharp / lightcolor

where are the programmers *shout* wink.gif

but honestly i think we should wait für the nextnextgen or nextnextnextgen .. thats something mathematicans are solving

ahhhhh btw wink.gif love this model.. very cool look and i love the skin-tone
    only crit: don´t relay like the tubes-texture.. bit wired and with no real idear behind them .. and yes the feets could use three polys more wink.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    You bastard
    I hate you.
    (but love the model)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    very nice indeed, I like all the aspects of this model. The modelling is sharp with no wastage. The texturing as sweet too but you need to fix the feet and the spec map. The club feet really do detract from an otherwise spectacular model and the specularity really needs to NOT make it look like a model with specularity, if you know what I mean. IT can be done, look at quake wars. They have done a beautiful job with the spec. Something which is rare.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the specularity really needs to NOT make it look like a model with specularity, if you know what I mean. IT can be done, look at quake wars. They have done a beautiful job with the spec. Something which is rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey sorry, don't mean to pull you up on this point for the sake of it, but I think as common courtesy for tinman and edumacation for us all this needs to be explained better. It's a really vague statement as it stands now. Everyone is conscious of over use of spec in conjunction with normal mapping. So, I read your sentence a couple times over and I still don't understand the point. Do not get me wrong here. I think Quake Wars is a fantastic looking game so far, and I am chomping at the bit to see more of it, but I just re-examined some screenshots just now and I'm failing to understand what is so unique about how they handled specularity? So your point could deinitely use more detailed explanation thanks!
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    How about dry, chaffing knees and other bits?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I think I may know what he's getting at Daz. By looking at the spec map, and his first rendered out image, it looks like all bits of his monster have the same level of specularity, like the skin has as much specular as the metal bits do.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illusions that would make sense except if you desaturate my spec the skin is much darker than the metal. I'd also like to see what KR means by making model that's shiny...not look like a model that's shiny 0.o

anyways thanks for the comments guys i'm going to be making the specular sharpness map and rigging this guy soon, had to take a break cus i was getting bored w/ him.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    holy crap that is awesome!! hahahahah coolness.

The spec is very uniform in its values, specificly the flesh. Try thrwoing in some pure blackness in areas like dirt, cracks, pores, warts, callouses, etc. You definately dont want to go overboard, but a little bit will really help pop your awesome diffuse and normals. The metal spec could go for a little more contrast too. You could try duping that layer once, grayscaling it, and jacking the levels up to some stupid level (so you get aliased black and whiteness), set it to multiply over your current spec layer, tweak, and check it out. Adding little details like that (and at the same time, adding a slight color shift in the dark areas for the diffuse) will really make stuff pop, and break up the highlights as they move across a surface.

Specific areas im thinking about would be his belly. The details are aweosme, but that one, bright spot there is really distracting, and very open/clean for such a filthy looking creature. Breaking the spec up a little bit can still keep all of your non-realworld style going on, but at the same time add a little more depth to the surface.

tinman: i think what he wsa refering to (shiney) is that metal reflections generally are not specular. Ie, a highly polished metal surface will still reflect its environment whether it has a strong light on it or not. Point being, that reflectivity is mostly diffuse. You can kind of force smaller highlights on metals too by breaking up the area that is metal with black streaks and details. It is touchy, too much hurts, but a little can go a long way. A slight blur on metal speculars helps stuff too!