Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Would like feedback on model

StormShadow
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
StormShadow polycounter lvl 17
Hi,
This is my first attempt at UVmapping and painting a character. I would really appreciate some feedback.
The character is a Cobra B.A.T from the 80's GI Joe series.
cobraBat.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wires?
    But the skin is definitly too 'solid black'.
  • StormShadow
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here's the newer version. It's still a work in progress. I added more detail to the map and made more of the black cloth into blue. And i added the wireframe model.

cobraBat2.jpg
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Just looking but his proportions seem off and he also seems a bit chunky from the BATs I remember. Long and lean!
  • StormShadow
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a pic of what they look like.
    ic12.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    The ancles are too fat, in the "ref" the bat is wearing modified combat boots which are normally tight on the ancles and calves. What you have on the model right now look a bit too much like something a Dragon Ball Z character would wear... I would spend the extra polys and make some proper boots which conform tighter to the shape of his actual feet instead of wierd moon boots from the 80's.

You might also want to think about the position and size of the head it seems a touch small and it looks attached a bit too far forward on the torso? I normally like to push heroic guys shoulders and heads to the back of the torso and puff out thier chest a bit.

How about some side views and a peak at the texture flat?

Lookin good all over for the most part, off to a great start Keep going! Go-Joe! =P
  • Zergxes
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think you need to model the recess in his chest- you could probably fake that detail in the texture.

Pretty darn good for a first uv'd character.
  • StormShadow
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I definitely agree with the comments made about bringing the head back and about the boots. I think one of the problems is that I was using the actual action figure as reference and I probably should have stylize the character more.

Luckily I don't see any major stretching issues with the UVs, but I do see I could have done a better job breaking up the geometry.
    The boots and the hands could have been layed out better.
    wire.jpg

Question:
    If I could have made the belt UV's completely straight across, would it have cause stretching? I just kept the shape the way it unwrapped. for fear of stretching.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The action figure is allready stylized, mostly to ease manufacture, and to allow it to be posed even if it's small. It probably would have been more in line, if you had roughed out the proportions as a ""heroic Human", and then applied the costume details and equipment from there. That way a lot of the oddities of toy proportion would not have been a factor. Make sense?

Scott