Home General Discussion

Warhammer Online

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
If there was already a topic for this, my bad.
But, I really want this game.
Warhammer is just the kind of thing I love. Dark, gritty, violent. Primitive technology, all that stuff. I want this. Screw WoW, I'm getting this when it comes out.

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    humping Rhino, Xenobond, or Cholden's leg may get them to work faster on it wink.gif
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I've been a warhammer head for a loooong time...infact I probably remember shit about the history of the chaos gods that prevents me from remembering my phone number or something useful. Can't wait to see how this game turns out. So far I have intentionally avoided playing MMOs because I know the impact it would have on my time, and I don't have enough as it is....but I think I'll come out of hibernation for this one. The original Warhammer RPG was the first game I ever played that had a "gore chart" ...now that's good times
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I simply can't wait...
    Too bad lizard people aren't playable, that would rock my face off.
    A 'lil blue lizard slaughtering hundreds of animals = Win.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i dont work at mythic anymore, so dont take my word for this, but the good thing about mmo's are expansions, so if the race you like isnt in the first round, maybe it will be in an expansion. one thing i know about mythic is they sure do love tons of races.. i think there is 16 in camelot, sure sucked repainting all those for catacombs. wouldnt of been so bad if doc rob didnt make the base ones so damn good, so not only did i have to paint 8 for each race, they had to be good. what a jerk!!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    the game does look very nice in the screenshots, plus im getting bored of WoW now I finally have a mount.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    my warhammer online wishlist:
    - vampires
    - me on the beta list ASAP!
    - A more personal aproach then WoW. In wow everybody looks the same, and has the same skills. Make every player unique, it'll rock!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    pfft it's just Warcraft knock-off. wink.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if people would have called it World of Starcraft if it was based on WH40k.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah it looks like every other MMO out there. Orks and Dwarves. FFS it would be nice if someone had an original idea every once in a while, maybe an Arcanum themed MMO? That has yet to be done.

But talk about beating a dead horse. Why did'nt they just use 40K? Tons of original races/creatures there.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer, I officially relinquish my sig and pass it on to you. You have earned it 1,000 fold.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.warhammeralliance.com/article/war-news/war-of-the-previews.html heres links to some previews and tons of screen shots, and heres a fes shots for this thread
    warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-20060403103333076.jpg
    warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-20060403103418981.jpg
    warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-20060403103437715.jpg

i posted the ones withthe most horrible compression i could find.. cause they were teh first ones i found..
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    UGH Rhino! Those are MFIN NASTY. The bad compressed ones from IGN and the like really make the game look like shit.

Worthplaying had some nice ones: http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=33155&mode=thread&order=0
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i'm just sick of it. and i really dont see how you can feed developers by supporting the same rechurned crap games over and over. I'll take the sig with pride.

50 bucks says it'll play like every other MMO too, grind grind grind, mine mine mine, sell sell sell, no cutscenes, no endgame aside from pvp, same terrain, same time period/theme, same weps, same races.. same everything. from a business standpoint yeah they'll make tons. but i have little free time to waste on these repeats, so i'm picky. Tell me that does'nt look like WOW, same races, same cartoonish proportions, better textures.

The art is great, but the concepts are getting old fast. maybe i'm just sick of orks and dwarves?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Warhammer has been around for ages. If anything, Warcraft borrowed from Warhammer.

I'm so sick of MMO games, but I'm a huge Warhammer fan so I'll be playing the hell out of this game. Woo!
  • Asherr
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool rhino, when are you guys getting some lighting? is andrew working on it? everything i have seen looks vertex lit and there are no shadows on anything.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer, find another topic to troll, you've already hit 2 in this thread, other threads need your attention

arsh hopefuly soon
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    A not-so-little-known fact is that Warcraft was based on the table top game of Warhammer and Starcraft was based on WH40k. So if anything, Blizz copied GWI first.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, after checking the shots, you guys are doing an awesome job on the art. this guy is my fav i think, i bet 100 bucks mr tohan did this

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/748/748723/img_3501592.html
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    If it doesnt have chaos dwarfs I wont play it!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    god i love warhamer art...those statues..so much detail and character...god i wish i was working on that game...
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the River Troll is tight. Long live the old school. Too bad they have been gaying up WH for the last few years. Dumbed down rules, Demonettes with clothes, I mean, WTF?

I painted my brother's Slaneshi Blood Bowl team and converted a beast "man" mascot with a single giant exposed titty and massive erect penis. Everyone in the league agreed that he had the best painted/coolest team.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh, are the trolls playable or whatever?
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, waste your money then. how is giving an opinion on the topic of the thread trolling? i'm not exactly being overboard, since it's even been pointed out in penny arcade and about 5 other review sites.

As for who did what first, what does it matter. You know how many titles i can name off with orks and dwarves? It's getting stupid.

Like I said the game looks great, but i'd like to see something different. If you think thats trolling, well you may want to find some actual trolls threads.

Cause it sounds to me like you cant' take crits, and single out people when you can't defend it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no jimmies, trolls are not a playable race at launch, playable races are Dwarfs, empire humans, high elves, orcs & goblins, chaos humans, dark elves
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Huh, are the trolls playable or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but the trolls tk did weren't built to the player character system.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, shits, no skaven? Looks like i'm going with Goblins, then.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Skaven won't be a playable race till a later expansion. They have been building them with the character system in mind, so they won't change too much other than some variations in tones and armor to distinguish a player from an npc.
  • Jelmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelmer polycounter lvl 17
    No dead guys? I demand to play an awesome vampire lord, or the times of heterosexual love are over rhino!
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    I just wish they had followed GW's art style. That would have helped set it apart from the pack, visually at least.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argh, No skaven. Dissapointment...I was hoping to be a little plague ridden bastard. Argh, looks like i'll have to wait.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, i don't like the art style much myself. I like the water falls in one of the screens.
    It seems like some were going for a grittier, more realistic (and pixelated) art style while the other half of the texture/skin art looks painterly WoWish, with the models however not following that cartoony style... which makes it all look kinda weird. It's not the one nor the other style.

The old cancelled warhammer MMO had a much more darker and realistic look which seemed to go better with the harsh environment warhammer is.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I kind of like the exaggerated cartoony look in such gritty world.
    Isn't that how the tabletop game was, anyways?
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The table top game is like that a bit. But that's because 1 inch tall miniatures need exaggerated cartoony proportions and bright colors to make them look strong and powerful. None of the artwork or concepts GW produce is like that.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    This is going to replace WOW for me also. I've been drooling over this game since I saw the first screens. I'm hoping they show a ton of new stuff at E3 and that I nab a spot in the beta. WOW just isnt cutting it after playing since release day :/
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Ok I couldn't stand this... the pictures posted earlier are all bad compression and are old. Here are some shots I found in an article that actually have a good compressions and are a little newer I think. There are tons out there though so I'm sure you've found them by now if you're interested enough. But hey what ever.

warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning-20060404052839484.jpg

551_16.jpg

53097-15-2.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    downsizer, although coming off as crude, does have a point in lack of originality within this industry, so much so that less and less of the industries demographic is playing games.

Now, obviously when first looked at WO seems a lot like WoW; orcs, goblins, dwarves, etc. but what will be the difference maker, I hope, is in the gameplay.

I'm with downsizer in wishing for more original titles - be it MMO's or other genre.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what you guys are smoking. This game looks awesome, and about a billion times better than that other companies attempt.

I think they nailed the art style! Maybe their first few races are gay choices, but I'm sure you'll be able to play Chaos Dwarfs, a Tomb King, or a Slaan before too long.
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry bout that... fixed the post so the first picture actually shows up! laugh.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    The style is awesome, it looks way better than wow. And from what I read, the gameplay sounds more promising than many other mmos.
    I just wonder why the weapons are several quality levels below the rest of the game.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with scottish, all da way.
    I'm assuming the weapons are WIP.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    downsizer, although coming off as crude, does have a point in lack of originality within this industry, so much so that less and less of the industries demographic is playing games.

Now, obviously when first looked at WO seems a lot like WoW; orcs, goblins, dwarves, etc. but what will be the difference maker, I hope, is in the gameplay.

I'm with downsizer in wishing for more original titles - be it MMO's or other genre.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats like saying "this ghost in the shell movie is crap, why it's just copying the matrix"

ever bothered to think where orks and shit really became popular?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    remember the first attempt!
    oldwarhammer.jpg
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    It's certainly a heap better looking than the first attempt, great job to all you working on it.

I am really disappointed by the choices for playable races though. Now I realize that Warhammer was the grandaddy of all things we see in WoW, but that's not the reality of the market today. WoW beat WO to the punch, so 99% of all gamers who see this one on the shelves are going to think 'Son of WoW' before anything else.

Why not have the Skaven, Lizardfolk, Chaos Dwarves, etc. from the get go? For goodness sake, do something to set it apart to the uninitiated. Not everyone is going to look at it and go, 'Sure it looks just like a higher rez WoW, but I'll get it anyway and see if the combat system, crafting etc. is slightly different..."

Too many times these MMO's come out and you can almost feel the sheepishness of the devs in the interviews you read online and in magazines.

"Well sure it's just generic MMO world #257, but we've fine tuned a very unique crafting system and have a streamlined combat system that eliminates grinding (always a lie). We're really excited about it."

I'm not saying this is necessarily the case for WO, but goodness, why display shots of burly Orks and Dwarves running around in hopes to entice folks AWAY from WoW? If I were a WoW player, why would I leave a sure thing for a crap shoot if it looks nearly the same?

Maybe I'm in the wrong demographic for all this.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    remember the first attempt!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer the first attempts style with Mythic's more professional skills.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Its sad i dont know who wins between eq2 and the first try at warhamer.... they both use normal maps really badly so i dont know who to call the looser...
  • Xeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xeto polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Its sad i dont know who wins between eq2 and the first try at warhamer.... they both use normal maps really badly so i dont know who to call the looser...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate EQ but I think we can all make a safe assumption here....

Warh01.jpg
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone seen the animations of the old warhammer mmo? They were among the best game anims I have seen so far. The Goblin magic animation was simply great. I don't know why the rest of the graphics suck so much
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I was wondering about fantasy IP. Are things like orcs, goblins, and elves considered public domain? The first time I saw Warcraft I figured Blizzard had some sort of agreement with GW because the Orcs were, in appearance, nearly identical to the GW Orcs. I realize since then they have divereged, but there is still an enourmous amount of resemblence, and I've never heard of any such agreement or partnership. Is it just a legel non-issue because there is no clear creator? (although I believe tolkien was the first to use them in a non-fairy tale way) What about the extreme similarity in appearance?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    well, according to gaming legend, Warcraft started out as a Warhammer game in the long long ago but the deal fell through and Blizzard turned it into their own game.