Home General Discussion

Brick, a detective story

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
www.brickmovie.net/

it's in limited release these days (I had to drive to Chicago to see it), but for the love of all that is hard-boiled, if you like classic noir or detective films, SEE THIS MOVIE.

The basic rundown: it's a classic, Dashielle Hammett style Noir, but played out in a contemporary high school. I know that sounds either like just a joke set-up or a really cornball throw-away idea, but it's invested with such conviction that it works really well. Unbelievably well. It's got very stylized, staccato dialogue that recalls classic noir without copying it; takes a bit to get into, but once you're in, you're in all the way.

It was shot on 35mm on a handful of locations and relatively small cast for about half a million dollars, which is of course paltry compared to most films these days. Not dirt-poor indie, maybe, but it's enough money to make the film look really moody and atmospheric--because hey, good shot composition don't cost a dime.

Anyhow, I'm not going to prattle on about how I was all smiles coming out of the theater, or how the interplay with genre conventions makes for some very big laughs in the movie--I repeat, if you enjoy classic noir or a good detective yarn, you cannot miss this movie. Brilliant stuff. Check out the trailer on the website above, or this review from the OAV: http://www.avclub.com/content/node/46825

Currently scoring a 75% fresh rating on rottentomatoes, in case you trust that particular metric smile.gif

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    When I saw the preview, I kept thinking of Rorshach. But Im not sure he will like the HS theme?
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    It's a detective movie, first and foremost. It's set in a high school, but there's no high school theme, nor is it a "high school" movie. The writer/director said that he chose the setting not only for practical reasons, but because he wanted to be able to explore the genre liberated from the typical signifiers--private eyes with trenchcoats, etc. And that the intense, emotionally subjective world of high school makes the genre sensibilities work surprisingly well. That said, you're right. I also thought of Rorshach, but also doubted whether he'd dig on the whole high school angle. smile.gif

But I stress that this is no way "one of those" high school movies, you know. The kind of self-aware, condescending movies about high school, falsely nostalgic or otherwise. Rian Johnson (the director) says that the classics like Maltese Falcon and the Big Sleep were influences, as well as the Coen Brothers, so I challenge Ror and other cinephiles to give this movie a shot.

Only trouble is, as you can see from the website, right now it's only in select cities. Hopefully in one near you.