Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First humanoid.

egoncalo
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
egoncalo polycounter lvl 17
Hey all,

I've been a lurker here for some time, and I am slowly learning to 3d model thanks to you all and classes. Recently I started my first humanoid model, and I did it through an editable poly and with cylinders. I learned alot of it through Ben Mathis's tutorials... Thanks Ben! The flow on my mesh right now is really really bad I think. I've got some pictures on my artist blog just in case you'd like to see what's going on. I do not know how to render with wire/facets on though... can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Blog:
http://egartistblog.blogspot.com/

(Also, there is a seam there because the left side is an mirror instance)

-Evan

Replies

• Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The parts that look okay are the legs, ribs/stomach, and forearms. The hips/croch looks a bit wonky, but by moving some verts I think you can get it looking okay. In the front view, I feel like I should be seeing the polyflow of the thieghs flow across the front of the leg and to the bottom of the hip (to show the sartorius muscle) The shoulders and face are a bit of a mess.

There are more or less standard ways to model upper arms. Maybe fixing the shoulder will make the arms look better. They are not too far from acceptable.

The flow on the face looks aweful, but that may just be the smoothing. There is only so many details you can model on the face within a thousand tris. I would like to see a wireframe so we can see where you are spending polys.

Good work. Keep it up! Some of my early models looked just like this.
  • egoncalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your advice! I'll try playing around with the hips and crotch, as well as the shoulders. But I do not know how to render a shot with wireframe or facets on? Do you know how by any chance?
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    turn on wireframes in the veiwport and hit printscreen! smile.gif
    By the way, what is that drawing your working off of? looks cool, although a bit stretched wide. Face needs some work. but you'll figure it out.;)
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    in the material window there is a check-box to make the selected material show as a wireframe, but does not cull backfaces, so it can get confusing.

I'd say your picture is stretched too wide, and too 'deep'.

make sure the plane you've applied it to is the same proportions as the image - and easy way to do that is to make the max units match the pixels, then uniformaly scale it to whatever you need.

if the images are, in fact, unstretched, I would suggest your first humanoid be something a little more traditionally proportioned.
  • egoncalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the critiques guys. Images requested have been posted in a new a blog entry. Including wires, facets, and the concept! Thanks!

EDIT: Sectaurs you must have posted like the same time I did. I've gotta get ready to go out, but when I get back in tonight I'll try seeing if the proportions are correct. Thanks bud! cool.gif
  • egoncalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghost_Rider just got in from work and randomly clicked your sig. I realized you work for Iron Lore in MA! I'm from MA as well. I absolutely love Titan Quest. Do you have AIM or anything... I'd love to chat sometime if you had any free time?
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, I would take 2 or 3 horizontal edge loops from the stomach/ribcage area. I would delete the boob and replace it with a geosphere one.

I think I would redo the head. Getting the flow right for the head is really hard. I would skip doing eyelids or lips.

Your instructor may have told you to work only with quads. I hate doing that, and it isn't standard practice for game art anyway (unless you are taking the model into ZBrush). The rule for game art is that if a triangle isn't defining shape, it shouldn't be there.

How many triangles are you at right now?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i disagree with ninjas, althou games only work with triangles, if you are aiming for model that allow you a more free usage of polygon, for example a 4000 triangles character , you should try to make the edgelooping consistent and flow, it doesnt need to go to zbrush for that , it only shows professionalism.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What Ninas said is an absolute truism, so I'm not sure what's to disagree with. Working with 100% quads is_not_standard_practise for realtime models. It just isn't. In doing so you are slowing yourself up and making a less efficient model.

econgalo, your model looks to be suffering from 'modeling a face from memory' syndrome. The sketch isn't working out for you, so get good front and side photographic reference of a female face. Import them at a higher resolution than you are currently using and you'll see how far from human your head currently is. Look at some faces, and *definitely* find some good wireframes of models at similiar resolutions to yours and study. Your topology is all over the place.
  • egoncalo
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys thank you for all the advice! I'm gonna start working on it again tommorrow. Daz do you know of a good place or search term to come up with good references. I joined conceptart.org and I can never seem to find models with multiples angles in the t-pose or even references for a face. Any idea where to get these? I suck at drawing, but I'm practicing, so that's out of the question. I'll post some updated pics soon!