Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dinosaurs!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tully polycounter lvl 18
Well, just one. I haven't had any time to model anything for quite a while, but I've been working on this for the past couple days when I really should've been doing other stuff.

It's an iguanodon. I always like to think of them as similar to very large cows.

iguanodonwip5.jpg
iguanodonwip6.jpg

This is definitely a WIP. I'm going try rigging him, but I'm quite new at that stuff and still have very little notion of what I'm doing. Crits welcome smile.gif

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm liking it... with my face, of course.

I think the contrast range is a bit shallow. Right now all the value is coming from the change from dark to light in the pattern. I'd try to push a few more areas of defintion to really show the viewer that you are going for subtlety in the texture, rather than leave the impression you might not have taken the darks far enough.

Very impressive overally, just needs a bit O tweaking in my opinion.

poop.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i think poop hit it pretty good. other than that i like it smile.gif

that amount of value contrast might be nice if you planned to do the whole normal/spec thing, but even so..

anyway nice work smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Maiasaura.

Hmmm. I'd almost add just the winkles again as a multiply layer with a gaussian blur of low value to "fake" Ambient Occlusion lighting, Do that on a separate layer frm the pigment of the critter's skin. That would help. But the anatomy and the proportions looks spot on.

Scott
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    great job tully. ITs nice and easy too look at. Simple and effective. Texture looks great for such a low poly dino.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits, guys.

Poop: You're right, it needs more contrast.

Ruggels: Close! Iguanodon smile.gif Maiasaura would have a flatter snout. Good suggestion. I'll have to try that when I get the chance.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow T, that's nice!

I love the realistic look of it. Its seems like your texture is rather lowrez, which makes it look even cooler wink.gif

I would like to see a lit render - the textured screenshot seems close to full self illumination, and I feel like the texturing style you are going for would greatly benefit from a few lightbulbs in the scene.

Also I don't think it really needs more details or such... Maybe just some broad color variation somewhere.

I so want to see the others, as the title implies!