Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fortress Assault -2D Finished - Illustration

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
Title: Fortress Assault
Name: Manny Llamas
Software: Photoshop

Image created for story art illustration for Digital Extremes game.
I began by placing ingame prefabs in Unreal Editor to create the fortress, and its security barricades. When I had the silhouette and eye flow desired for the photograph a screenshot was taken into photoshop to continue the rest of the scene.
In Photoshop I painted in the atmosphere, details, sfx, color palette, movement, lighting, terrain, water, sky, etc.
I attached the two production steps from Unreal Ed to PS below..
Hope you enjoy. Thx
Credit for kick ass in game prefabs used, goes to DE environmental artists. wink.gif

<<Hi-Resolution Image>>

fortress_mid_res.jpg

Step 1 & Step 2
tofrom.jpg

Replies

• Dark Sepiroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Sepiroth polycounter lvl 17
    Nice editing Austin.
    Nice colors, lighting and effects.

props
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Damn, I really hope the atmosphere of your version is brought to life in the game! Great work!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hehe very nice work my friend smile.gif been a blast to see that one rising...and I know you have some more !!! show !!!! smile.gif

as I told you before, I love the attention to detail you ahve, and those little marines trying to go through the canal always make me laugh smile.gif
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl: lol .. the little guys.. they are trying so hard...
    I gotta touch up the other one up man, its got some real ugly spots still ^^
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    very nice indeed. I love the feel of the piec and the overall composition. Some serious shit is going down in that picture smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    really nice work austin, glad to see you posting stuff again, especially 2D work like this. i like the overall cool tones, and the fact that there's a lot of diagonal motion between the floodlights and the missile smoke trails. i guess the only thing my eye keeps searching for is a strong foreground element to counter that helicopter, and to be a source for those missiles being launched from the lower right hand corner. like a nice big amphibious tank or some such smile.gif but other than that, it's good work, and a great example of time-effective use of photoshop and existing assets to create effective concept art. thanks for posting.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Heh heh...daddy has a new desktop image. Excellent work. I love the sence of motion imparted by the blur on the helicopter. And smoking missle trails are always a welcome addition. (they help to give it a greater sense of depth and scale)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Is this how PS3 "screenshots" are made?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a ps3 screenshot, isn't it?
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very nice indeed wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That just made my day (it's just morning anyways) laugh.gif
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work mate!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    some of the brush strokes are still a bit raw (around the closest lights), buildings look a little squashed like the perspective has been tightened up horizontally.

Sharpen filter has been pressed too many times for my liking.

In general I find it hard to figure out whats going on and what sort of story it's trying to tell me. Why are the missiles lanched from the ground not targeting the helicopters? Who's fighting who? Are the helicopters and marines attacking the missiles being launched off screen? It's not clear what they are being launched from, which makes this slightly hard to read. We can't identify the "attack" as it were.

nice natural elements, really getting sucked into the richness of the water and foliage.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss: I know exactly what you mean.. and your comepletly right, perhaps I'll add one of the scavengers tanks in the scene.. that spaces is screaming for attention and reason. However, the other illustration piece for the game shows the other races, and I wanted to keep each piece dedicated to each team alone.
    kdr: LOL, nice one.. if you only knew tho.. hhahaha
    hawken: the brush strokes are deliberate, if you look closely, they are apparent throughout most of the piece, the prespective was not modified either. Also, if you look at the background some, you can see the missiles are being targeted at the barakades/towers.
    And you are correct about questioning whos shooting the missiles.. (I would have liked to add something more there.. (explained above why)
    thx for the crits =)
  • chico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chico polycounter lvl 17
    hehe here's manny's cool stuff:)
    i like how you painted over the initial environements I did:)
    Show them the one with the mecas, it was awesome:)

Nice work dude, there's a reason why you go got the job of your dreams:)