Home General Discussion

Keepin' it real in video game commercials

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/40916/
I don't know if this was already discussed here but I was just watching tv and saw the commercial for the new Dungeons & Dragons MMO and it was all cinematics. It just pisses me off that they advertise these games without showing any actual in game footage, so you don't know what your getting yourself into really. If they were able to successfully deter companies in the UK from doing this, why not do it here in the states?
What are your thoughts on the matter?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I use this as a healthy filter of what games NOT to buy. In my mind I think "Wow, it sucks so much they can't show it." That's why I like the BLACK commercial, it shows a real representation of the game, then shows game footage. Anyway, I agree that not showing game footage is BS.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have the same problem with a current Sonic game commercial. Can't judge a game by it's cinematics.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've always thought it's bordering on disgusting. How on earth can you legitimately advertise a product by showing something other than the product?
    I remember seeing the TV spot for Call Of Duty 2 recently, and it was an entirely pre-rendered cinematic, alongside statements such as 'truly next generation graphics' or something. I can't quite recall, but I think that it was definitely misleading, particularly since the general public probably dont yet have a solid idea of what next gen machines are capable of.

I wasn't aware that in the UK they'd managed to achieve that. I remember a law called the 'trade descriptions' act that was in place to cover false or misleading advertising. Perhaps it fell under that banner.

*edit* doh! Just read the complete article sorry! Makes sense, and that makes me happy! smile.gif Yes, the rest of the world needs to get with the program.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    You were watching Battlestar Galactica weren't you?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Another thing decent video game adds lack is explaining what the game is about. Yeah, get a narrator to explain.. "in this game you can do this.. and this, and here is what is different, and this is why its fun"

Usually its just a horrible montage of action, humor or a witty tag line. Its all TOTALLY EXTREME and IN MY FACE. I'm usually left with nothing. Good thing i research my games on the net, and get a vibe for what other people think before buying my games. I know most people dont do that. But if a commercial delivered useful information, it might help? maybe. yeah and actual game footage.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I remember the Zelda commercials of back in the day, after that I wondered what the game was even about (dancing?).
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I saw a fully pre-rendered ad of Ghost Recon AW recently.

That's just ridiculous. Why take a game that's already one of the best looking out there, and not even show it? I get the feeling companies have gotten into a bit of a downwards spiral (not that this hasn't been going on for a long time). and are thinking "Call of Duty 2's ad will make our game look bad, so we better fake our ad too!". Now Ghost Recon's ad will make everyone else look bad. I'm sure the Killzone trailer is still in everyone's minds too.

Blizzard's been notorious for this for years too. There were tons of people running around screaming "did you see the new WoW graphics? OMG!!!" after they released their "trailer". What did the trailer have to do with the game? Absolutely nothing.

Ah well. MGS4 and UT2007 still beat the pants off them all anyways.
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    While I agree that Blizzard likes to advertise with their cinematics they have never made bousts that their games are true next gen. They have always been known for their stunning cinematics which is why I wouldn't put them on the list of miss direction.

Yes call of duty2's ads were rather bad because of the pre rendered high quality graphics and the same goes for Ghost Recon.

As for MGS4 and UT2k7 we will still have to wait and see until they actually come out. As of right now UT2k7 would take a major comp upgrade that no consumer between the ages of 15-24 would really concider. So I expect to see major shifts with those graphics to more of a Fear or Black level. MGS4 is just for PS3 and the PS3 has been pushed back to an unknown date even though it was suposed to come out this summer. Which could mean a major shift in those graphics as well. In all if someone would be to upgrade their pc or buy a new one to play UT2k7 the way it is now they could use that money for something else thats way more important.