Home› Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - [fogmann]

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
fogmann polycounter lvl 17
Hey people, wait for me! I want to go to war too!

Err, not me, but my general - he's impatient to get to the battlefield.

fogs_war_gen_01_small.jpg

Background
Global warming eventually melts all the ice from the poles, which then results in major floods. Man has realized that he needs to adapt to the water more, or else...! And the genetic engineering created some nice wonders, such as the fish and man crossbreeds. General Aquadon the Third is the most prominent representative of the species. He's riding a hovering skateboard, on which he can do flips and all kinds of crazy stunts, because the metal soles of his boots keep him on the magnetized board surface. He can also dive and breathe underwater. His armor/suit is equipped with plenty of robotic parts, which aid him in battlefield.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks great! nice design, well balanced- only thing I'd suggest is a handle on the bazooka as it looks like itd be tricky to hold onto doing tricks and flips. a handle or maybe a strap?

edit: or maybe a small strap where his hand is on top to keep it attatched
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call, I was thinking about the strap too, and will add it most definitely.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started blocking in the shape, I hope to catch up with the rest soon. Right now I'm at 1416 tris. I've never done anything quite like this, and I'm not exactly sure about where I'm going with it. Hopefully it will turn into something... before the deadline.

aquadon_wip_01_blockin_sm.jpg
    Thanks for stopping by smile.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress for tonight...
    Body geometry still needs some major tweaks, and edge flow fixes, and I plan to add more details, but that will happen after I'm done with the gun and the hover board (not sure if I should keep bazooka-like thing, it might not work too well in the winning pose, any thoughts on that?) - just to make sure I don't run out of polys.

The general thus far:
    aquadon_wip_02_lowbody_sm.jpg

And the design for the gun:
    lazerblaster_profile_sm.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    CLICKEY, lol,

Nice meshflow. I think the design looks like a lot of the nerf advertising style (nerf guns). The gun as well.

Keep it up dude.

poop.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A tiny update for today:
    hiresgun_sm.jpg
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on hi-res body. It's still actually in medium res with subDees on, but it's coming along... argh, more like dragging along, slowly.

I'm still not sure what I'll do about bazooka - most likely it will be taken out. It's not very appropriate for general to be shooting rockets - unless he has some magical rocket dispenser, somebody would have to carry rockets too, and load them up. On the other hand, I want the general to carry something heavy, because he is strong, and doesn't just go around and give orders, but actively participates in battles. I'm also redesigning the hover-board, to make it more interesting and dynamic.

And the lower body snapshot:
    aquadon_wip_03_legsmed_sm.jpg
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update:
    aquadon_wip_04_mres_sm.jpg
    Upper body needs some more work. Head as well.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    not bad. kinda freaky. he looks a bit short in the lower leg area.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think his lower legs might look short since his knees appear to be lower than they are, because of knee pads and boot design, but I will try elongating boots a bit and see if it looks any better. Thanks for noticing.

I am still trying to figure out what could replace bazooka. This is the only thing I came up with so far:
    generalsurfsalot_sm.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    lol I actually think you got something there, itd be awesome to have this surfer dude general who strolls onto the battlefield with a ghettoblaster and takes amazing potshots with his oversized pistol, casual as anything..
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I like that! Maybe I should add some built in speakers into the hover-surf-fly-board, and the bass intensity would just blow everyone away. But not sure how could I showcase that in the winning pose.

Ah well... Maybe next time. For now I figured I need something more to show the leadership status, and I thought additional pair of fins looked better than anything else I tried - it also adds quite a bit to his silhouette. That, in addition to surfer-like suit would reinforce his relation to water, I think. I'm about done with low poly, going to lay out UVs next. I have few dozens of polys left to spend, and I'll try to squeeze in some detail that will make the general asymetrical, if I still find time for it.
    aquadon_wip_06_lowall_sm.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    his torso looks too long. I think this one will be really awesome if you can nail the proportions.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments and optimism. I went in and tried adjusting the proportions. The legs are now about 15% longer - the belt and crotch are raised and legs extended a bit. Here's just an ortho silhouette, I hope it's better to see the proportions this way:
    aquadon_silhouette.gif
    If he still looks short (not heroic figure, less than 8 heads per height) that's probably because of his highly raised hat - which I'm thinking of lowering down if that would make his proportions stronger. Although I wouldn't like him to have a very tiny head - he's a smart general after all smile.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reporting some progress.
    UVs laid out, 4981 tris used.
    uvsnapshot_sm.jpg
    aquadon_checker_sm.jpg
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on high poly, part by part. Here's the arm for now, click:
    Arm_highRes_sm.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New proportions look great! Keep it up man, I'm loving this character now.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, thanks!
    Here's the head:
    Head_highRes_sm.jpg
    Those little slits on the side of his neck are fish gills. I figured I wouldn't want to spend too much time defining the area around the eyes, especially brows, since they will be mostly obscured by visor anyways.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal map is done:
    normalmapsdone_sm.jpg
    I'll be adding finer bumps as I paint texture, and there are also a few issues with normal map that need fixing.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    amazing detail! the suit look very cool!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're making great progress! The normal maps look nice.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i second that! it's been quite enjoyable to see this one take shape, i appreciate the extra detailing put into that themed base of his as well. get this general finished up on time to command his troops on the battlefield! smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    yep it turned out really nice, your model really fix the doubts the concept may leave, which is a great thing, get him textured now !! smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    looking good smile.gif get him textured! this guy definatly looks very original laugh.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Looks spiffy! Are those fins going to get an opacity map?
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for comments! I'm really excited about finishing this one up. I started up on the textures and yes - there is an alpha map, so the fins will be more defined. Here's the quick render with alpha beside it:
    transparencyfins_tn.jpg
    I also need to add specularity map so that the transparent parts don't get any specular highlights.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohooo I'm getting there laugh.gif I made some progress, as follows:
    rigging - done (not really rig for animation, but bones for posing, rather);
    skin weights - done;
    color map - almost done;
    specular - done mostly;
    opacity - done;
    glow/incadescence - done, although I need to tweak the glow once the final lighting is in place.

I'll be putting together a base, probably nothing fancy, just a little rock sticking out of the ocean, and will try to find some nice sky image, or just paint one if I still have some time left.
    Here's what I got so far:
    aquadon_texture.jpg
    Oh yeah, the shadows are off. But coming soon!
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's this for the winning pose? ooo.gif
    aquapose.jpg
    I think I'll submit soon, cause [yawn] I'm kind of getting sleepy [/yawn].

Not sure if I should keep the rocks. The hover-board is not really pedestal, it's his vehicle, and without the rocks there wouldn't be any base, just the sea. The idea is that the general has just returned from the battle, and on the land there's a mass of... hmm... _folks_ wishing him welcome.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I submitted my entry on time, got some sleep, learned a lot in the process of creating my general, and now I can more clearly see what should've been done differently, in a better and more efficient way. And now that this got me hooked to Polycount, I'm sure you folks here will see me around more often smile.gif

Thanks everyone for comments and feedback, I appreciate your input, and good luck to all in the finals!

Oh almost forgot, the submitted images can be seen here:
    Thumbnail
    Concept
    Winning Pose
    Beauty
    Texture sheet
    Wireframe
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Turned out nice, fogmann smile.gif
    Look forward to seeing more of your work around these parts!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A great submission! I really really like the detailing on the fins those give it so much character.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job man. I really enjoyed this one!