Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg Assassin

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
vahl polycounter lvl 18
HEY !! long time no pimpage, so here's a little something I've been messing with before moving to canada and that I continued this week ( plan to finish this weekend so that I can start on my WarGeneral)

anyways, body without equipment

Cyborg_Wire01.jpg
Cyborg_shade01.jpg

and start on the head ( click)

cyheadthumb.jpg

hope you'll like, I plan to normalmap this boy ( after the comp, though ) and maybe try to make a cool picture, dunno yet.

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! I love the muscle-like tissue on him. What's that guy weigh in polys?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    kick ass vahl.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    beautiful! Is this based off any concept art, or modeled straight outta your brain?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Mighty Nice Vahl. Were I to attempt something like this my topology would be 10x messier.

I see youre using the "floating detaily bits" method for when you normal map this sucker...
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    looks badass, vahl, like the mgs4 version of ninja.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Not wild about the face, it also reminds me of some other game character. Other than that it's awesome.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    *humps Vahl's leg*

Awesome work mate, I think that the full effect won't be seen on this fella until you texture him up to show off the different materials you've got in mind, definately inspiring to see what can be done when someone purposefully chucks a load of polys at a model.

And it's a good job you didn't use the other head you made for him, the other one made him look like a dodgy version of Sonic the Hedgehog :P
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    The face that comes to mind is the Eva-Unit-02.

I definately think the face could use more work.. Or even a redesign.

What if the head resembled a helmet intermixed with human anatomy. An improvised skull shape, with muscles strewn about?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Nice!

crits: first off, its too awesome. secondly, I like the head design, but could use something to push it a little further. The only thing I came up with is making wires and shit come out of the 'mouth' sort of cthulhu-ish, with little tiny manipulators and needles and doodads on the end.

Yeah... I got nothing.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the head looks like the head piece on hotsuma in shinobi for the ps2
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I was thinking of Hibana from Nightshade but since that's the sequel to Shinobi I guess Hotsuma started the trend tongue.gif.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    that is crazy looking dude.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The topology is so beautiful *sniff*

The head kinda reminds me of iron man though, except with six eyes. Nice Stuff!!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Beautiful! This is going to look real nice with colour and what not. The head looks nice, but the 6 eyes look a bit strange.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, i thought at first that this was the robot from SATURN-5. A movie made in the late 70's with Harvey Kitel and Farah Faucet.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh SNAP, i really enjoy the sinewy muscle bits on the body. now i REALLY can't wait to see what you turn up for the contest laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    NOPE. no. I can't think of anything to say that won't make me sound like a total fanboy laugh.gif envy!
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    wow man, kickass mesh, very impressive.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Man that is awesome.....the only thing that looks a bit out of place are those straps on his right thigh. Can't wait to see your War model.
  • J03M4M4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J03M4M4 polycounter lvl 17
    yea what is up with the straps on this guy? Is that holding him together? LOL, your understanding of muscle structure and flow is outstanding, You MUST show us your work flow some time. We could learn so much from you I bet. How are you modeling this? Low poly then smoothing, or what? What is your biggest help getting the muslces to really feel like they are muslce fibers of polygons wrapping all over each other.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    beautiful! Is this based off any concept art, or modeled straight outta your brain?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering the exact same thing.

Anyways, too cool for school.
    I wonder what kind of head you will create on top of that body.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the kind words guys

Swampbug : I did a little head revision but I really think I'll change the back of the head to something fitting the musular structure idea a bit better, as you suggested, just avoided this until then to try not falling in the terminator thing, you know.

Ikraan/Ferg : no drawn concept for this one, this is project I built in my head for like 2 months, mainly because I can hardly draw something that complicated. but I exactly know where I am going ( chunkey can confim this)

JO3M4M4 : these are not straps, as scoobydoofus stated, I'm using the floating meshes technique to add my detail so the "strap" thing will in fact be carved into the mesh once normalmapped.

Slum : the smoothed highpoly weights around 1.500.000 tris I think ( at 1 iteration)

As for the inspiration thing, I'm inspired but yukito kishiro ( battle angel alita/Gunnm/Last order/Aquablue) and Masamune Shirow ( appleseed, dominion, ghost in the shell, half-naked womens and crotch views). Though I played Shinobi and watched evangelion so maybe some influence came from here.

anyways, here's the new pic
    cyborg_pimp_30.jpg
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Beautifully intricate work vahl. Personally I think he'd look more elegant If his arms were a little more slender. They feel a little over bulky for the character design ( not to mention in comparison with the legs, butt etc ), I don't know why. Top stuff tho'.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Best character model of 2006 so far!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    remeniscant in a way, of both grey fox, and shinobi.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love it, o much detailing makes him unique, i agree about the design, but i dont care looks very good !
    keep us updated please wink.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    looks great only thoughts / complaints would be,, the leatehr straps on his leg,, are they there for a purpose? cause i've never understood the trend for artists to randomly toll belts onto every part of a caracter,, mcfarlane was crazy about it, belts and straps, EVERYWHERE.

and his left hand to forearm connection in the left image in the last pic posed,, looks pretty off from that angle,, kinda weirdd, thats theonly angle where it looks bad in those pics tho.. great work
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The butt looks too plain, otherwise pure ownage smile.gif

Oh and the back of the head would probably look better if it was more connected to the body in some way.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    dammmmmmmmmmm! (picks jaw from floor)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys ^^
    as almost everybody here, I'm too much into the dom war thing to continue on this one so it's in standby mode until I finish my entry.
    Anyway, now, the replies ^^

Daz: thanks a lot, yah indeed the arm is a bit too bulky compared to the rest of the body, hopefully i'll be able to tweak this quite easily on the lowpoly model, and everything will flow better then smile.gif

Rhinokey : no, don't worry, the straps are here because a knife holster ( with knife) will be attached here it is already designed, I just need to model it smile.gif. As for the hand, I noticed this also, figured out that was because of the bulge I have just before the wrist and that can only be seen in that particular angle, so I though that was not worth it to edit the mesh, as this will be fixed by the lowpoly model.

JK makowka : yep that's really what I don't like with the two heads I have now, so I'll change the back of the second one to fit the body way better than now smile.gif

thanks again for the good words, this is something I'm really doing for pure fun and as some kind of tribute to yukito kishiro's work. I've put a lot of efforts and heart in that one, and hesitated a lot before posting it. I also plan to make a lot of inside mecanism as an alternate skin for some kind of stealth mode transition, like kishiro depicted it on this last order artwork :
    http://jajatom.moo.jp/album_e/file/LOskeleton001.jpg

I will certainely make a nice render of the posed normalmapped model, as my portfolio seriously lacks thse kind of things (and is not up to date at all).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    favorite model I've seen for a while here on the old green and black ugly. nothing to add, keep up the good work.

Kinda reminds me of the film "saturn 5" which I must get some time and scare the shit out of my GF.