Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

steampunk princess

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
This is something I revived a little over a week ago. I first started her back in May for one of the Polycount Challenges and never finished, but recently decided to give her a make over.

Princess.jpg

PrincessTex.jpg

princess.jpg

The plan is to import her into UT2k4. But the recently announced "War General" challenge is going to delay that, so I'm showing her now.

I'm proud of how the skintones and metal turned out (edit: self-illuminated btw). My confidence in texturing is finally setting in.

Also, I've been trying to speed up my productivity since October. I'm doing what I can to get a unique portfolio together, and I'm beginning to send out resumes to local companies. But as far as being able to land a nice gig, I don't feel I'm quite there yet. What advice is there for me? I know I have somewhat of an "against the grain" personality, but I'm willing to listen. Maybe meet halfway. I realize I need to prove that I'm capable of creating what studios are looking for.

My goal now is to keep working, and learning from my mistakes. But, am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I remember this. Turned out great!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i thought she was an amputee at first
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye looks great

dude i think u r totally on the right track,
    dunno why u seem to doubt urself so much but hey - that's probably what keeps u tickin' eh? wink.gif

as for critic i think u r tinting your lights too much, try pushing some soft warm/cold in your bigger shapes /value gradients.

see how on the metal some areas have "thicker paint" as part of the texture? seems to me like the highlight the edges have should appear on the edge of those thicker paint areas, just a touch of light hitting them from above, making them pop a little more. either that, or reduce the highlights on the metal. the key is the detail 'resolution' - the texture implies very small detail but the thick edges imply less. u gotta keep it consistant

im trying to come up with some extra crits for ya.. if anything i just wanted to say i think u should polish out the concept a little more if u'r going to include it in the folio
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dunno why u seem to doubt urself so much but hey - that's probably what keeps u tickin' eh? wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems so. My own worst critic. :P

I know what you mean about the metal details not consistent with the highlights.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great stuff! This model/concept should be pass on to Blizzard so they can make the gnome epic Mounts look better =)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Huge improvement dude, you should feel proud. My only critique is the mis-match of the texturing between metal and flesh. The skin looks mostly hand painted with a bit of a light bake overlay, but the metal parts look mostly like light bake+texture overlay with only a teeny bit of hand done stuff over top. I think to match it up better you should apply some more heavy handed painting to really get it to jive. Overall though I think it's a great piece.

poop.gif
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    lovely, nice character, its an interesting them yougot there. Great job!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    What an odd combonation, yet it seems to work. Great job, I like it. Sort of gives me some ideas.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    She's great, only crit is her eyes arent focused on anything which makes her look like a stunned mullet. turn the eys inward a bit so she is focusing on a point and it will make her look alive.
    Fix that and some of the things others have said and she wil be an even better folio piece smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    yay! you finally posted her!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Holy shit, it's a low poly "BRATZ!"
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with zeldrik... the eyes are whats not doing it. Also in the texture map the eye is cropped off, if it was a full eye, you could play with it more, and not being layed in behind both eyelids.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I like the design but for some reason the posing of the legs bothers me. It looks unnatural and uncomfortable. Maybe have them hanging down more, only slightly bent? All I know is that holding your legs like that even for more than a couple minutes is damn near impossible heh.

That aside, both the model and texture are well done, very tight and clean... I can just see her opening her mouth to reveal some razor sharp child-eating teeth. Good show.