Home› Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - Concept General GAUSS

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
ALRIGHT YOU SLAGS, I FIGHT TO WIN

now i don't normally post these kinds of pre-emptive "staking my claim" nonsense posts, but this is war. i haven't made a model in a long while and i don't think i'll be starting now, HOWEVER: just as with our previous polycount challenge, as a dedicated member of the polycount camp, i'm going to help the war effort as much as i can.

<u>THIS MEANS that i will help out anyone who needs help with a big juicy concept for this challenge</u>. first of all i'm looking for a primary collaborator who needs a concept, but my invitation is open to all polycounters who are serious about this challenge, since there are no rules about multiple submissions. the rules stipulate that you can only have 2 people work an entry, so if you're confident about your modeling and texturing but want some extra muscle at the design end of the spectrum, let me know.

we can't let those cgchat dogs show us up--those cg_inserthere_ community sites are a dime a dozen! horribly messy subforums sprawling everywhere, teeming with insensate masses clutching their lumpy zbrush rejects and over-budget "low poly" models--ARE WE LIKE THEM? NAY SIR, I THINK NOT. this is our time, no excuses gentlemen!

just setting up a list for my own reference:

Sectaurs - fleshtank - done
EarthQuake - gunbot - first pass done
katzeimsack - mecha hitler - done
Downsizer - floaty psionic girl -first pass done
Whargoul - special sauce in progress
Scoob - Scoob's got it COVERED
Slum - General Birdstein done
almighty gir - demon engine
flaagan - voldo grievous
nkoste - saboteur
Narusol - Naru's got it COVERED!
dur23 - tagged!
aegix - concept done
hedhunta - concept
Asthane - tagged!
resin - gavku supplied a concept!
infectedletters - concept
pseudo - concept
psycho - concept
bort - tagged!

edit: if you would like to see all of the concepts i've done for this contest all on one convenient page, visit gausswerks - construct:

http://gausswerks.blogspot.com

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Sir, I need a concept, sir!

I would gladly take your construct into the trenches [or towering over them, should he prove a biggun] against that chattering horde.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good sir, i would like to place an order for 1(one) robot with multiple comicly large guns(preferabley each gun bigger than the robot itself). That is of course if you're taking requests, otherwise just throw something at me big guy.

[edit] would also be cool it if could fly.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...teeming with insensate masses clutching their lumpy zbrush rejects and over-budget "low poly" models--ARE WE LIKE THEM? NAY SIR, I THINK NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gauss is an ANIMAL!

Go Gauss go!

We need more Open Canvas brainstorming sessions.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    soldiers, this immediate of a response brings a tear to this general's eye... too bad 100 years of unabated bloodshed has left me an emotion-less killing machine, to say nothing of the fact that my cybernetic laser-eyes are physically incapable of crying!

Sectaurs: i'd be proud to see you help a concept to completion, do you have any particular type (human/cyborg/alien etc.) that you know you do better with, or a kind that you'd prefer to work on like EQ's? let me know so we can get CRACKIN'!

EQ: ROBOTS with LARGE GUNS is something i can DO, SOLDIER! flying is also exceedingly useful, tactically speaking, so i'll keep that under advisement as well! i'll bounce some ideas/thumbnails/etc. off you tomorrow.

Pseudo: right you are soldier. if we can get more opencanvas sessions going throughout this war, doubtless we'll have a leg up on the enemy!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Give me something organic. Something not human.

Hell, give me a quasi-sentient flesh-tank for other's to ride upon, to carry the proud standard of our peoples into war. With a big gun on his back.
  • EarthQuake
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    What if I have a basic concept, but just need to "spruce it up" a bit?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    what if i make a gargoyle

now what
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    gauss something cool you should make is a very cool polycount symbol we could commonly use for the comp! so that every entry have one
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I think that is been done allready
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=97405&an=0&page=0#97405

From my last post there:
    [ QUOTE ]
    On other"look and feel" should we go with clean futurist design (my pref usually), or something else? What flavor of Evil? WIth the SF design, I'd shy awy from Metalgothic horror, in general, and try something.. oh.. say predatory and dangerous looking, but "lively" as opposed to undead?

[/ QUOTE ]

So Gauss, you think you want to take the "general" direction of things, and make this look like a Team of Soldiers, or a Mottley band of Pie-rates? or what?

Scott
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorted now smile.gif
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Can I get you to do a concept and then use it for the CGChat team? Heehee tongue.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    General Gauss I'm gonna hit you up for a concept tag very soon!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I need a cybog Hitler, with many hightec attachments and two laiserswords on his hands (like the protos warriors)

Just don't have the time to do a good concept frown.gif

e: should have an old look (damage, wounds, dirt so on)
    I like the gears of war marien style , but he should definatly have some antik/german god skills (thor)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I need a cybog Hitler, with many hightec attachments and two laiserswords on his hands (like the protos warriors)

Just don't have the time to do a good concept frown.gif

e: should have an old look (damage, wounds, dirt so on)
    I like the gears of war marien style , but he should definatly have some antik/german god skills (thor)

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, make that a double order! Give him the supreme powers granted by the Spear of Destiny.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs: that sound perfect for you. "flesh-tank" is a really great jumping off point, i know i can develop something from that.

Valandar: so long as you're not planning on having a different collaborator to help with the skin or something, since the rules stipulate that only two people can work on a given entry... so long as that's the case yes, i'd be happy to help you troubleshoot/refine your concept!

Cheap: i don't see how we'd expect you to make something other than a gargoyle for this contest... if you want help, it's available to you.

ramucho: yeah, if you want to use an emblem Vailias' is good, but i think with the evil nature of our side of the Dominance War that an emblem's really not all that necessary.

Scott: i think it's in our best interest to diversify--for the aforementioned reasons, i really see this side as being an almost Nietzschian eclectic of very bad dudes... so yeah, i guess "motley band of pie-rates" style by default smile.gif i think the more variety the better, getting everyone synched up would just be too difficult. but hey, if you want some "clean futurist" kind of take from me, i'd be happy to knock around some ideas! smile.gif

Rick: Sorted!

SyaPed: traitorous dog! laugh.gif

Snowfly: would LOVE to bat some ideas around with you my man!

katzeimsack: a cyberhitler, now that i can do laugh.gif not so sure if those light swords are going to work out (come on, light swords? this isn't adolf vader) but i will give this concept a go.

Xeno: we can't have two cyberhitlers on the team! they would clearly destroy each other, making no benefit to the war effort at large.

Downsizer: sounds like an interesting concept to me, i'll get on it when i can. i think i'll approach these in roughly the order they're received, but don't worry, i'll get around to this one smile.gif

alright gentlemen, i'm up early and about to start thumbnailing. i'll be on #md as well available through PMs on this board and gauss_9@hotmail.com on MSN.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    not lightswords like vader frown.gif

just some hightec swords on the back of both hands...
    But other weapons will be fine
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm just razzing you, don't worry. i'll see what i can do smile.gif

addendum for everyone looking for a concept: because of the number of people wanting a concept, the submit and feedback client-style design thing just isn't going to work. trust that i will put a lot of work into the concepts, but i'm not going to make significant alterations without a good reason. just so we're clear about that. smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Downsizer
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love for you to do a concept for me, it's about time I get off my ass and work at home again. Do you still have time left for one more?
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    Whargoul's in? Jesus, get this man a concept stat!

-LD
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    And some cake, happy birthday!
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    downsizer: sounds good, man.

Whargoul: are you kidding? After what you've done for me there's always a concept left for Whargoul! and happy birthday man, don't think I'll be able to get around to one for you on your birthday but I will get you one.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    alright--i'm going to try to give each idea an initial pass, get a little feedback from the artist the concept is for/let it sit for a bit as i work on the next one.

so first up is Sectaurs: not quite a "flesh-tank" but that was the basic idea i started with... he's got a gun on his back, of a kind... more like some re-arranged anatomy for war smile.gif it's an alien species highly adapted for war. most creatures' GI tract is devoted to the absorption of nutrients and then the expulsion of waste; but like a poisonous reptile, this alien has a specially adapted metabolism for producing a highly toxic bomb/spray. the rest should be self evident from the prelim concept:

sectaurs01.jpg
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Gauss, that's vile! Definitely outside-the-box too.

-LD
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Never mind. Got into a big brainstorming session last night and came up with some ideas to 'flesh out' my concept. But thanks anyway!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I would be happy to take on some of this load if anyone wants me to help with a concept. I do think Gauss is better than I am at the designing, but still, who knows. On that same point, General Gauss, feel free to paint over, edit or give me suggestions for my design.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bwahahaha!

I love him. I will hug him and squeeze him...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Okay got it, Since we have a lot of folks on your ticket right now, How about I do something, and then pass it by you for a revisions pass?

Scott
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I'm down with that if it is cool with Gauss. No worries though, I'm down with whatever.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Gauss: Oh man, if you didnt have such a long line of people waiting first, I'd ask you for a concept, but I think I'll slog it out on my own.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    no no no, i've only got 5 people! i can get through that lickety split! EVERYONE IS WELCOME!!! smile.gif especially my old friend scooba doof smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, well I'll ask! You've twisted my arm!

I was thinking some kind of brutal Venomous hulking mighty Crab/Lobster-like general, with an army of sideways walking skittering minions. His not humanoid, but not exactly crustacean carapace & limbs decorated for war, and scarred by battle. Truely a terror to behold.

Oh, and a gigantic weapon that fits to his arm(the big claw arm), some sort of Bio gun or Vile poisoned Harpoon launcher. However this beast prefers the upclose kill, tearing his foes limb off with his powerful claws & mandibles.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, awesome Gauss. I've got an idea for something, I'll show you it later. Basically it involves a bird, a tank, and gore.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    if i decide to enter in this, i'll definitely want some help with the concepting. got a few ideas.. we'll see smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I would be interested Gauss, but I would want to work collaboratively with the person. Meaning we come up wth the idea together critique their concept, I model the high and low versions. They texture it, and I bone/pose/light it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Gauss SIR! i need a concept if im to enter the battlefield and earn my place amongst the ranks of polycount!

DO NOT ABANDON MEEEE D:
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    YOU WILL NOT BE ABANDONED

warbanner.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    post that in the Flag thread, gauss smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok gaussy-pants, think i've got an idea.. think voldo (the nimble knife wielding nutcase from soul caliber) in a kind of General Greivous / Battle Droid (the kind that could kind of collapse into a smaller shape) form. The knives would rotate along the arm's axis (can be 'stored' in the arm's open framework when not being used). When you get a chance to mess around with this just rough it up first, I'd like to go over some stuff with yah (in #md possibly) as far as certain designs on the guy.

Thanks as always dude!
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gauss, PM me and we'll work out some cool design or something.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss, (Lee bows humbily) look at the concept that i found online, i want more weapons!. Think the dreadnoughts from warhammer laugh.gif. Let your imagination flow!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan and Whargoul: sounds great guys.

ok, long since time for some works in progress update: here are Earthquake's gunmech (w/female pilot i talked him into) and Mecha Hitler. EQ's mech still has a long way to go, i still have to nail down the main shapes, especially for the gun arms. the red on the sides of the torso are heatsinks.

eq_mech1.jpg

Katzeimsack, i'm sorry this isn't really what you described, but laserswords (protoss or otherwise) still don't fit with the subject matter, and furthermore the idea of attributing "german god skills" to Hitler is troubling. since when is Thor a german god, anyhow?

I went with a mech design that seems to fit vaguely with mechanical themes of WWII... Hitler's undead head is pickled in the airplane style canopy glass, and he's got a pair of souped up MG-42's. since he's fighting 1000 years after he lived, he's not quite himself anymore, and really very few other people in the army recognize who he is. he mutters incoherently to himself occasionally, but his only real purpose these days is on the battlefield. soldiers fighting with him find him a capable, if savage and deranged leader.

this is just the first pass, naturally after 1000+ years the mech is going to be a lot more beat up than this.
    mechahitler1.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

mechahitler1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I <3 Gauss and the world trade center.

This concept just made my day, great work dude.

poop.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Norse mythology and germanic mythology aren't clearly separable, apparently the germanic tribes believed in Odin, Thor, et al, too. How about Tyr runes on his weapons?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: wow, i wasn't aware that Norse/germanic mythology weren't clearly seperable... but come to think of it, what do I know of germanic mythology? You learn something new every day, eh?

However, I still don't think attributing god-like aspects or associations to Hitler is appropriate, particularly the mythological. To me, that would suggest that Hitler actually managed to end up something like what he always pictured himself as, which would be giving him way too much credit.

I'd much rather depict him akin to the way the film Downfall portrays him: a tired, completely deluded old man. Something of a pathetic figure. Here (and this will hopefully born out in the later versions of the concept), it's 1000 years after the fact, and although Hitler's head has been preserved in this completely ridiculous mecha, his mind and his legacy have not. In the distant star systems in which this war is set, no one knows him or regards him with anything like what we do today, and he himself is a revenant, an insane ghost in the machine.

Okay, so maybe this is a bit much waxing philosophic about a MechaHitler concept, but I want to make my position quite clear laugh.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    hrmm am I on the right team? LOL!
    awesome work gauss!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    hrmm am I on the right team? LOL!
    awesome work gauss!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Fear not Steady, we dont discriminate here, we kill everybody! We're not anti-semites, we're anti-Cgchatites.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to argue with gauss or anything (I can completely understand him not wanting to glorify hitler), but there were secret groups within his reign that believed in and worshipped (in their own ways) a whole list of different beliefs, and hitler himself often supported these groups as they served to dig up prophecies and support for his reign and the idea behind his "1000 year Reich".

But anyways, glad you like my idea, I look forward to workin with yah on it!