Home General Discussion

Copyprotection malware

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
It doesn't effect me as much as others, as I am playing most of my games under Linux (where this crap is still very uncommon), but here is a nice article about the insanity that comes with modern 'copy-protection' software (or should I better say 'hurt the legal customer' software?):
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/30/anticopying_malware_.html

Flame away smile.gif

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Now this is insane. Unrestricted root access for all applications?

Just found it on my system. Strange, I don't think I reinstalled X2 after the last OS wipe... Sounds like I really should start downloading again, buying legal is becoming way too dangerous these days.

Can't we sue 'em under some computer intrusion act? Granting users root access is a severe threat, if that were to happen on a company computer the consequences could be devastating.

Someone should hack and disable StarForce's IT infrastructure, maybe that'll get them a clue when it comes to hacking prevention.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh, I believe Trackmania uses this type of protection, and I have it installed frown.gif
    It's a shame, because I really like the game, but I'm sure they could have protected it in a different, less evil manner.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh, I hate this sort of thing. I have to crack most games I get nowadays because my cd drive is old and doesn't function with most 'copy protection' and let me tell you, I've never had trouble finding such a patch/fix/whatever, so they're obviously not doing any good.

Makes me want to swear off PC games and stick to consoles.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Ugg if you go to their website, (starforce) the letter on the main page reads like a religious fanatic. I vomited in my mouth while reading it, thrice.

poop.gif
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah funky copyprotection, fucks up the users system but fails
    to prevent what it was menat for. The only one who get the harm
    is the one who buys the game. And rumors that the protection
    mess your system up is true, made my DVD burner useless and
    i needed to reintall my OS. Nope never buy a game that has a
    Star Force protection !
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html List of games and game companies that use Starforce. I for one will not buy any of these games for fear of my system stability. WHOOPS looks like corporate scare tactics backfired on your sales projections.

poop.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ugh, I believe Trackmania uses this type of protection, and I have it installed frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That uses DefenceLine which may be a Starforce knockoff. I've got it installed and I can't find any Starforce drivers on my machine. heh
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, sounds like The Westerner is to blame for my infection.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap, I should have elaborated, TrackMania Sunrise is the only Trackmania game I have installed right now, although I own both. Sunrise uses StarForce 3 protection.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've also have sunrise and nations installed, both of them use defenceline for me. maybe the euro versions just have starforce, dunno
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Starforce seems to be more prevalent in the Euro regions. Kinda strange considering EULAs aren't nearly as useful for covering your ass from damage claims here as they are in the US.
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah all TM have have SF, and TMN has too, because without it, hackers would be able to modify the .exe, cheat, and crack the the protected commercial versions (sunrise and original).
    I don't know the subject enough to argue here, I just think we are nice people at nadeo and that this anti SF war is full of rumors and wrong stories.
    I just agree with people asking for a more visible SF installation (something like : this game is going to install SF protection Yes/No?).
    I don't think it's malware. I've had more problems with Norton than with SF (actually didn't have any problems with SF yet ;] ).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    True, I haven't had any problems with it yet either, but it's worrying to think that it allows this level of access to the user's system without making it clear when installing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Even if they add "yes no" to the install. Its a bit late for the user who can not return the game.

The threats they are putting against critics instead of addressing the issues raised is another strike against them.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah all TM have have SF, and TMN has too, because without it, hackers would be able to modify the .exe, cheat, and crack the the protected commercial versions (sunrise and original).

GCW says there are cracks available so where exactly is the advantage of StarForce?
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

GCW says there are cracks available so where exactly is the advantage of StarForce?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i turns your os into crap if something goes wrong and
    crackers need an extra day of work, big deal. And for rumors
    @OgrO i daubt that SF can destroy your cd drive but it can
    send your os into oblivion, ohh and before i forget, special
    greetz to "The Suffering - Ties that bind" at least ive only
    lost 5 euros on that game /me hugs ebay
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    GCW says...

as I said, the starforce encryption protects our .exe against cheats.
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    Mop : I don't know if this level access story is true or not, so I can't really comment wink.gif.

Edit : (sorry for double post, I'm getting old )
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So cheat protecting the exe is worth compromising your customers' security?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I should note that one of the programs on that list, Freedom Force vs the Third Reich, only has this stuff on the European version. And it's not Irrational Games who put it there, it's their European distributor, Digital Jester or something like that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think I'm gonna get a mac
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    As I said, I don't know the subject enough, I'll ask if it's true that customers are in danger because of starforce, I doubt it, but who knows.
    Actually, thinking about it, there are a lot of games with starforce, I'm wondering why they haven't been attacked yet, if there is a security hole.
    Anyway, I trust everybody at nadeo, and I doubt we would have used starforce if we had known.
    So, 2 solutions : it's false, or we didn't know. I hope it's false, because I don't want to see TMN more famous because it's been transformed in a worm can by evil people.

Personally, I see this anti starforce campaign (followed by a lot of hackers groups) more as another way to get rid of that protection, because of it's efficiency.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, efficiency at crippling your system yes.
  • OgrO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OgrO polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I've finally got some true answers.
    Starforce has no security problems at all, and can't damage hardware. But it is indeed possible it's messing things in the windows system with drives.
    If you encountered that kind of problem, I suggest you make a bug report to starforce developpers to help them fix all that, we all need to go ahead. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks OgrO, that's reassuring. I haven't experienced any problems with the protection system at all, I was just worried about the potential security problems smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this out in Game Informer. If you do have Starforce installed, and you don't want it anymore. Use this, http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

poop.gif