Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments.
    You're right, I can improve the front and back view of my UV by putting arms and legs together (as for the side view).
    Putting arms and legs 3 sided is a good idea too.
    I don't understand the "central loop" concept. Could you explain what you mean please ?
    You're right, this character is very tiny on the screen but if I can reach to a 32*64 texture map, it's a good gain for me.
    My NDS 3D Engine doesn't handle miror mode, I must map each tris.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    @Japi

You got me wanting to try and make a 160 tri human so I figured I would show you what I meant using my WIP to illustrate.

tinyguyuy6.jpg

The red line on the wireframe shot is the center loop. Basicly you build half the model and unwrap/ texture it then you mirror the model and colapse the stack. So essentialy you have 2 models sharing the same texture, that is what mirroring is. I find it hard to believe that your engine does not support it.

Anyways texture is still WIP as you can see by the clothing. 160 tris is a tough budget to work with especialy if you want it to animate :o I think I dun it though lol

C&C welcome.
  • Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok for the "center loop". :poly121:
    It was not like this on my character cause I want to create some asymetric clothes and to decrease the poly count. But I'm going to try to improve my character by using every good advices you give to me. My new pedestrian is 124 tris now with better usage of the UV map but before posting it, I want to improve the head.
    You are right for animation, It's hard to go down with the poly count if you want to keep a good structure for animation.
    My character called "Joe" has a biped structure. He walks not too bad. But, sure, I can do better and I'm going to.
    Your character works on my NDS engine because you've got an edge on your red line (center loop).
    So, I can mirror the texture by flipping my second half body.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    ok here is the dark-cleric.
    he is at 461 tris, weapon included, and 1x128 texture.
    dcleric2.jpg

and a little team shot so far.

chaosteam.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very nice mrawolf! the last one is definately the best IMO! could use some more color variation, but other than that it's great!
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    thanks Japhir,

Yeah I need get some colour variations in them,I agree. maybe on the next pass i do, hopefully when there all done a i can coordinate them a little better.

onto the trickster/rogue next i think.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work mrawolf, some solid low poly work there. Great use of tris.
  • Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back with my very low poly character.
    135 Tris - 64*64 - 256colors.
    The head is brand new with a center loop to mirror the face.
    Same for legs and arms but I keep the bust like this for asymmetrical clothes.

Fred2.jpg
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    thanks Xaltar and okno.

Having alot of fun doing them.:)

Japi, I don't see your model.?
  • Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there is a trouble with my old web server.
    http://site.voila.fr/div/Fred2.jpg
    Here is the picture.
    Fred2.jpg
  • TotallyAwesome
    bestestmodalevar.png?t=1210633189
    Feer my doom warior! Not textured yet, but unwrapped. I wil probably get SuPa- to texture it.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    slight change on textures...
    dcleric3.jpg
  • oidipusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, just found out about the polycount boards, shame on me!!!
    Great work you guy's are doing. I always loved low poly game art, finally gave it a try. By the way, I know only finished projects should be posted here but dont know if I'll ever completely finnished it anyway so...I'm sometimes pretty lazy with my own projects.
    Let me know.

cheerz!
    mgjerrytotal.jpg

-Oidipusss
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Hey Oidipusss,

Very cool little mech, love the grabby thing at the front.:) nice texture too.
    And welcome to the lowpoly boards.:)
  • BrodyB
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    thats awesome Oidipusss,
    is it MGS or one of those Maschinen Krieger things?
    you should try and take one pixel brush to sharpen up some of lines of detail.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's something I did today. It's my avatar dude. He currently sits at 540 tris, and I can't figure out how to bunk him down much. Any tips?

littlelieutenant1wv8.jpg
  • oidipusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats awesome Oidipusss,
    is it MGS or one of those Maschinen Krieger things?
    you should try and take one pixel brush to sharpen up some of lines of detail.

Thank for the nice words!
    It's a Maschinen Krieger H.A.F.S jerry, always loved MG (maschinen krieger) designs. I guess the Metal Gear concept could be based on MG, not sure really.

cheerz

-Oidipusss
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Army dude update.
    UV'd and basic texture done.
    Shaved a few more polys off, but it's still overweight (534 now).
    littlelieutenantxs9.gif
    lltexci0.png
  • Japi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to decrease your polycount without changing your model, you can delete every tris that we can't see from a standard view. It means every tris under your character and under feet, under the jacket, ...
    To decrease more, you have to imagine what will be the size of your character in the game during each phase. Every details that you can't see in this situation could be deleted (like poly between hand and arm, which could be too small to be seen in the game)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also think about the silhouette. eg: that edge loop on the bottom of the torso doesn't need to be there, the legs could be downgraded to pentagonal cylinders or even less and you could break things down on the shoes a bit more where it doesn't contribute much to the silhouette. Also, I think maybe the flaps on the back-pack could just be done in the texture, and maybe make the back-pack itself simpler and I think you could sacrifice a few edge loops on the head. Depends how much lower you want the polys to go but I'd prioritize it in that order.
  • TotallyAwesome
    BewareOfThisWip.png

Beware! My sucky half textured wip is up xD
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    it's a tank
    on a grass
    it's got bad uvmap on a pair of 32x32s
    just a 3dfart in 40 mins total, including the grass
    i couldn't turn off the bilinear filter in time.
    tank.png
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    started another character for my game project:
    mutter_progress.jpg
    but I am not yet happy with the textures,- guess I´ll have to work more on them
  • oidipusss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet renderhjs I like the color theme. Maybe give her eye's a bit more 'twinkle'. Could give her more personality.
    Can you post the diffuse, I'm seeing the famous tile trick if i'm not mistaken.
    keep it up!
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah renderhjs that looks really good! Also a big fan of the colors. Keep working those dress patterns and it'll turn out great!

A nose wouldn't hurt unless you're obsessed with a low polycount.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth

totallyAwesome loooking goood , mesh looks good tho, texture needs a little more degrees.

renderhjs i dunno how that model will work..? what res is that texture, and as for animation..i have no clue ..i see i bunch of pinching going on. AS an animator if i got this model i'd have to add about 300 or so polys to it..:) if this is Indead a "game"
    projectHAHA.....
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP...Blargh!!
    Grok_wip.gif
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    haha DeathByChris thats cute! nice stuff dude :D
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    BrodyB - what i think would help bring the polycount immensely is to change the head to a geosphere (the one thats made up of out of triangles) instead of a regular sphere. you might have to edit a bit in the middle where the helmet meets the head but i think it'd save a lot of polys
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just blocked out the rough colours on this guy. just under 500 tris
    coolwip1.gif

deathbychris, that looks great so far.

Edit: done some of the texture, corduroy looks a bit chunky though:

coolwip2.gif
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    oidipusss wrote: »
    Looks sweet renderhjs I like the color theme. Maybe give her eye's a bit more 'twinkle'. Could give her more personality.
    Can you post the diffuse, I'm seeing the famous tile trick if i'm not mistaken.
    keep it up!
    here you are
    3d_test_mother.png
    nothing fancy,- my engine doesn´t care much about texture size- its more of a online bandwidth thingy not a real technical limitation in the architecture itself. Therefore my belief for this project is to keep unique texture faces in order to add more asymetrical details, and I´ll add more details on her.

this is how she looks in the engine:
    screenshot.jpg
    the online engine demo requires flash player 9

and yes 300 triangles is the real limit as flash still isn´t that fast for polygon rendering and I want to display 3-4 characters at once animated wich would be propably the limit on my machine with this engine.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    update on the textures:
    color_cure_mother2.jpg
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious if there is a site that teaches how to use triangles correctly in low poly models? I know how to use them in joints but looking at everyone else's models in here, theres a lot of places I could be using tris which I'm not familiar with
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GsKanible, if you point out examples and ask why something has been done a certain way, I'm sure someone will try to help explain.

Renderhjs, she looks good. I also checked out demo 11 she looks great in that background, although she's a little too light for the bg I think.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waqlk cycle for fun, its been a long long long time since ive done one. blah
    Grok_walk.gif
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    great walkcycle
    I made an animation test myself- seeing if the low poly count would hurt the animation:
    walk_cycle_ani.gif
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    hehe great job ! both of u :P
  • A_GAME
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A_GAME polycounter lvl 11
    hey All!
    Im a Long time lurker, first time poster. Im new to the whole 3d art world, but I find it more and more fascinating with each passing day. Here is the first model Im willing to show off. It is a coffee maker. Cant wait 4 your crits!

GC_Coffeemaker_Presentation_private.jpg
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Always, always mind blowing stuff in this thread when I'm lurking around. Working on a low-poly model of the main character from the PSX classic Azure Dreams, default name Koh. First low, low poly model I'll be finishing really.

Any crits?

kohwip.jpg

A_GAME: Lookin' purty good, welcome to the scene! I think you could get the curve of the body of the coffee machine a little smoother with those vertexes, and I think maybe there's a little...too much noise on the texture. I'd actually maybe redo the texture with a smaller map, as it looks like 64x64 would do just as well for the object.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    renderhjs: jeez a 512x512!?
    That could easily look 256x256 or lower with more clever uvmapping as what you have on your skin ATM is pretty redundant
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    leilei wrote: »
    renderhjs: jeez a 512x512!?
    That could easily look 256x256 or lower with more clever uvmapping as what you have on your skin ATM is pretty redundant
    Agreed. If you added a few more tris for the apron and the flower in her hair, you could mirror just about everything and you could overlap all the different sections of the dress that have the same pattern on the UV map.

Since there are so many parts that could be mirrored, I doubt you'd lose any detail at all.
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know if I went over-the-top with the exaggeration on this anim:
    coolanim1.gif
    Also need some advice on the texture.

renderhjs and deathbychris, those anims are really good.

A_Game, nice coffee maker. The coffee stains stop too abruptly on the front-bottom part though, perhaps continue the stain over the edge slightly. Also the stains should probably have more defined edges like this.

Nice work so far snuggles.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the stretchy head is radical, i like it.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Waqlk cycle for fun, its been a long long long time since ive done one. blah
    Grok_walk.gif

ha. love this guy. one of the most fun pieces i've seen for a while
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, the bouncing head looks great.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    @ Okno: I would say it's not exaggerated enough. The head is very exaggerated, yes, but the torso and pelvis stay completely rigid. There's no rotation or bounce on those parts at all. Also, when he comes down, he needs to come down faster, which will give the animation more weight.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    worked on 3 new characters:
    web_characters_01.jpg
    one of beeing a rebuild of the first little girl approach- this time with a cleaner UV and some fixed areas.
    The biggest guy is a guard and the texture was not done by me. Textures are still in progress
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madPXL polycounter lvl 10
    It's been a long time that I wanted to make Mario in low poly. (it spend a long time to did it too...)

mario.png

mario_tex.png

tris : 494
    texture : 128*128

Enjoy ;)