Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Underground network

carakong
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
carakong polycounter lvl 17
heya, I posted this before but got flamed because it didn't have a floor and stuff, here's just a WIP pic, I'm thinking of adding a bumpm on the floor to make the bricks pop as commented by some people.

LabrinythWIP0002.jpg

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    seems to lack purpose, not trying to urante on your fireworks but it's either (a): a "deviant art" avatar or (b): 3 minutes work in a 3d program. At the very most it is a small part of a scene.

The atmosphere is ok, and I can imagine it would be a nice setting to add some characters. However I feel you should call it done, leave it and move on to something with more meat. That way you would get more experience with modelling instead of plucking this chicken.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • carakong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken: ooo.giffrown.gif

Weiser_Cain: thanks grin.gifwink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think what Hawken was trying to say was something along these lines, but he has a rather blunt way of putting things:

I actually quite like the image. Just as an image in and of itself.
    However, it's hard to see what you're planning on doing with this. You mentioned it was a WIP - do you have any concept sketches or ideas of where you're going to take it further?
    Right now it's one, fairly bland and repetitive corridor. The colours and lighting, and mood are working quite well, but the whole thing seems kinda purposeless so far. The corridor is not going anywhere. It's got no doors off to the sides. There's nothing growing on the walls. You do have some text in the foreground on the wall but it's so faint that it's almost unreadable, and barely noticeable at best.

What I'm wondering is if you actually had any initial concept when starting out, or did you just think "Hmm, today I will make an underground tunnel scene" and just started working on the 3d model?

Consider if this was in a game or a film. If it was in a game, people would be running down this corridor for a considerable amount of time, and there would be no change in scenery. It's identical all the way down.

Here are some things you could consider (most of them fairly cliched, but at least adding interest - you could do more thinking yourself and come up with something more original, i'm sure):
    - Make the tunnel 1/4 of it's current length, and break off the end so it's all jagged and torn, then have a large rock cavern opening out there. It could be some sort of undiscovered labyrinth of caves, or it could be a secret military hangar, i dunno.
    - Add weird slimy goo dripping from the ceiling, getting more dense and alien-ish as it approaches a doorway... have weird plants and things growing out of the walls.
    - Put some doorways in, or branches to other tunnels - put signs up pointing directions to things (since it looks like an "installation" which would be neatly organised and signposted)... maybe have different types of door ... or put air vents in the walls, or big fans on the ceiling.

All of those ideas are fairly unoriginal (i thought them up in under a minute) but all of them would add the vital element that this piece is missing right now - interest!

Basically you want to grab and hold the player/viewer's attention. Right now they'll look at this piece and think "Oh. Great. An endless red corridor with lights"... then wander off to do something else.

At least if you're gonna post an image this early WIP, post some ideas in text or concept sketches if you have them (and I recommend concept sketches like crazy!), rather than just saying "I'll maybe add a bump map to the floor" ... a bump map on the bricks is the least of your worries right now.

Concentrate on the big picture before working on the tiny details.

Does that help?

I don't mean to dishearten you, the overall quality of finish on this piece is good (texturing, lighting etc.) but the idea and concept right now is just nonexistant. It's a tube... that's not a concept.

Keep working on it and think about how to add spice, interest and really capture the viewer's attention.

Keep it up smile.gif
  • carakong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah cheers, yeh i see what you mean, better concepts smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it.

However it doesn't really reach for any technical high bar. It's a cylinder with a floor and some pretty textures. Not much to comment on. BUT it does look great. You could try adding a curve or a bend in the hallway instead of a bright light. It would give the scene more mystery. Copy what you have ahead of the white light, modifiers/bend your done, mysterious bend added =)

I agree with mop something needs to be added to break up the monotony of scene. random pipes, maybe a light out, brick missing from the wall, a random power box with wires sticking out. If this was for a FPS there is very little in the way of "cover". It would be a kill zone no one would go into unless they had to.

Unless we are looking up a silo (where is the ladder)? The bricks are facing the wrong way. Bricks are made to lay horizontal; it’s how they are designed to give support to things. Only when bricks are decorative will they be stacked on end like that. In a tunnel they are more than likely holding back the weight of an massive amount of earth.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. You do good work with lights and ambiance. It would be nice to see what you could do with an unlighted scene. People do get hired to do just lighting passes, mostly in the bigger studios, but it does happen. A few more pieces with different moods and you might have a portfolio together?