Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animator in search of work...

Wallace
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wallace polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone! I'm a long time idler of #MD, 1st time poster. I just recently moved to the Los Angeles/Hollywood area and I'm in search of work. Ideally, I'd like to go into animating for feature films but I've found that video games might offer more opportunities for me. With that in mind I've been trying to update my reel to appeal to both audiences. Feel free to check out my online portfolio at www.JPS3D.com and let me know what you think.

For now I'm looking for a C&C of this basic walk cycle: http://jps3d.com/Movies/AK_Walk.mov

And if you do know of any immediate animation jobs in the LA area please dont hesitate to let me know about them.

Thanks for all your help.
-Wallace

Replies

• yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    looks like basic motion is in, too stiff i think though, add some secondary motion. give the guy some character now that he has basic motion. also in your movie if its a loop you can change your code to this so it loops.

<embed src="temoc/temoc_walk_stream.mov" width="640" height="480" loop="true"></embed></td>

pretty much however your code on it is just add the loop part to it.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck. It is brutally competitive. My advice is to do a lot of legwork and find some of the smaller companies.

Yeluis had it right. Maybe pick an expression, have him act nervous or confidant or something.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, definately need some more follow through. The motion should come up from the hip through the spine and to the head.

Right now, neck doesn't appear to be animated at all. A little overlap in that area is needed. I did a very quick, very crappy example of what I mean.

View it here.

I overdid the head bob, especially for the state of emotion your character might be in, but a think a little would help loosen him up.

Also, aside from the fact that he's holding a gun, his posture is very generic. Is he sneaking in to cap someone? Or is he walking boldly down the street taking out bitches left and right?

Right now his Power Center is unclear, so his emotion is as well. If he's bold, put it in his chest, if he's sneaking, put it in his shoulders or chin.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Wallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. Thanks to everyone for their helpful insight. I've got a new update I just finished last night. I will try and take into account all your ideas while I work more on it today. Great tips Humble-Ego. Thanks again.

http://jps3d.com/Movies/AK_Walk2.mov
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately improved, but still could be pushed further.

BTW, I'm assuming since you went to SCAD that you have Acting for Animators by Ed Hooks but there's alot in there that would help you really push this guy's feel.

Good stuff though.
  • Wallace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm going to work some more on it this afternoon. I did not take that class but I did have the chance to sit in on his class at Siggraph 2005. Amazing guy and is on top of his game. Stay tuned for new updates.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So did I! The book is great, but he's amazing in person.