Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rainbow Brite in Fallout 3

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Saw the mini challenge on CGchat and got inspired.

I liked the idea of this contest, but I had zero time to devote to it, so I did a speed run tonight. From start to finish, it ook about seven hours.

I thought it would be cool to take a cutesy character and adapt it to a more rugged game, so I took Rainbow Brite, http://thetoonspark.tripod.com/rainbow%20brite%20group.jpg
And tried to redesign her for the fallout universe. It was a fun exercise overall, and I'm happy with it for the time spent.

rainbow_brite_01.jpg

Cheated a little, final tri count is 362 tris.
rainbow_brite_wire.jpg

rainbow_brite_tex.png

poop.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    LOL!

So she lost a little of her Brite and got addicted to heroin instead?

Nice work smile.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, It doesnt look like anything in the screeny u provide, Plus I gather its suppose to be a female, but urs look man ish ( like all ur models btw WTF FEMALE KTHANKS! lol har har) . The face is just Nasty btw Lol. Also, even tho its small rez texture, U need more sharp edges or something, it feel way to blury and wash out.

I like the back view of the mesh, and the knee texture tho.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks cool poop I love the idea! I agree with bill that its a bit blurry, I think itd really benefit from a few sharper parts in the texture. Great interpretation :]

I know its against your blunt style of crits b1ll, but they could do with a little added tact.. hard to listen to crits when they're semi-insulting..
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know its against your blunt style of crits b1ll, but they could do with a little added tact.. hard to listen to crits when they're semi-insulting..

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just how b1ll is. Nobody reads what he says anyway, they just look at pretty pictures and ignore the text. Har har har!

poop: I like her overall. She's certainly got the rainbow, but she could use a little more brite. Very dull and soft pallete. She could still be wicked and 'fallout-ish' with a brighter, more punchy pallete.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I completely agree with what B1ll said. My first impression was that’s a man! I also think your characters tend to be orange. You need to work on your skin tones. I know this was a quickie for you but the texture is very muddy even at this resolution. I also think it would have been more successful without the reference to Rainbow Bright. I think its too far removed from the original character. She’s a bit crossed eyed too.

I really like the mesh for the polycount.

- BoBo
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    If you would have just said it was a "inbred post apoc hermaphrodite" I would have been like "Bad ass, good job! you nailed it!" but since now I know it's rainbow brite, I feel sad.
    I agree with bobo about the tones, but I feel like something that could help right off the bat, is to give some sort of impression of femininity in the face, I understand your going for like a sigourney weaver aliens 3 thing with the shaved head and lack of makeup, but you could make the lips pouty or darken the eyes to suggest eylashes or soften the face by pulling a few verts.
    oh yeah and fix the crossed eyes.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Oh sorry rooster, I should of posted a Penis paintover instead, MY BAD! uh
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    but a Penis paintover is worth a thousand words!
    pont taken tongue.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great crits. I need to do some skin tone studies for sure BoBo, I've been making this same mistake on the last several skins, you're right.

I was worried about the mannish look too. It was hard with so few polys to try to pull off a curvy skinny chick, since they curves become really important in a slender woman. I also wanted a bit wirey gaunt look so she would look like she'd been living in a wasteland instead of fresh of the models bench. But in the end, I agree she is probably too mannish. I was looking at so many naked women though! Oh pr0n, why have you failed me?

And yeah the texture is blurrier than I'd like, but I'm also going to blame the short turn around on that. I'd definately work on the crispiness during a revisit.

Thanks for the crits guys. I was looking to flex a little creative muscle quickly and the contest inspired me, so I rushed it, and the quality level suffered a bit, but still I had fun.

Also, lol @ heroine comment Mop.

poop.gif
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    hey man have you posted this over at cgchat? didnt notice it!

Jody
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice to see you knocked this out so quickly Poop. If you took off the ponytail it would kinda look like you. Minus the shorts I guess smile.gif . But good idea, love to see some concept sketches if you did any working out the arm and neck thingys. Also the tats are a bit too blue. Mine are more purple than blue.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    "Oh pr0n, why have you failed me?"

best quote ever!

After looking at this poop, now my huntress's face doesnt seem to look so fugly... hehe
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think what makes her 'manish' would be the shading on the face. It makes her look 'chiseled' when generally stylized women aren't chiseled unless they're intended to be foreign, or 'barbaric.' the chin seems to drop a little too low, again giving her the 'man face.' Her eyes are very... 'blah,' she could go with some eyeliner, or darkness around the upper-outter edge of her eye, and slightly on the lower (like eyeliner and maskara). adding this sublety to the eyes will really make it pop. lastly, her lips are very small, which all in all seals the 'man' deal. Sure, not all women have sultry callogen injected lips, but give them a little meat, and it'll change completely.

i do like the poofy arm and leg pads, lol those rock.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow.... Thats umm.... i uhhh.... hmmmmm i cant think of anything that i wont get flamed for saying haha.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    love to see some concept sketches if you did any

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need concept sketches when you're hardcore.
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should have followed this reference instead. ooo.gif

http://www.divideby0.com/photos/2002-ComicCon/pics/DSCN1688.JPG

Great idea for a revamp, Poops, but I agree with previous crits. Sorry I can't add anything worthwhile. frown.gif

Edit by MoP to prevent 5000-pixel image appearing in thread tongue.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    er, think you hit some kind of anti-hotlinking thingamy going on there, unless you meant to post a white 5000x pixel square laugh.gif
    edit: ah mop fixed it: jeezus h christ
  • HumbleEgo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HumbleEgo polycounter lvl 18
    Damn it! It's redirecting to that image even with the link. Those diabolical basterds!

Well, I guess there is always copy and paste.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    This is the rainbow bright I would make. laugh.gif

TNARAINBOW-B.jpg

btw, poop, I dig the model alot. I like your interpretation with the texture, but id love a more colorful Rainbow bright. smile.gif
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is the rainbow bright I would make. laugh.gif

TNARAINBOW-B.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
  • Seyiji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seyiji polycounter lvl 19
    My Idea of a Rainbow Brite update (I didn't make it smile.gif)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25666663/
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Good lord, I nearly exploded in my pants. That, boys & girls is the PEFECT female body, IMO.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My Idea of a Rainbow Brite update (I didn't make it smile.gif)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25666663/

[/ QUOTE ]

holy shit is it really possible for someone to pose like that naturaly and still show both their breasts and both cheeks on their ass.

my mind is boggled.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow.... Thats umm.... i uhhh.... hmmmmm i cant think of anything that i wont get flamed for saying haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I'll say it. DEAR LORD IT'S HIDEOUS! KILL IT!

But yes, that is probably what she would look like in the Fallout universe. Crackwhore with a giant freak arm.

Nice model and texture, but the concept disturbs me. ooo.gif