Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some C&C Please?

Level_Designer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Level_Designer polycounter lvl 17
Hello There,

I would like to have some C&C on the artwork on the website. I will post the link down below.

http://lddreams.com/index.html

Our portfolios are also on the website but I will post them here for more convenience.

http://lddreams.com/Portfolio.zip

http://lddreams.com/Model_Portfolio.rar

http://lddreams.com/Texture_Portfolio.zip

If you have any suggestions on what can be changed please don't hesitate to mention it please.

Thank you for the time.

-Paul.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    The page transition animation is interesting ... the first time. After that, totally annoying.

Put your portfolio(s) on the site. Don't expect people to do a download to see it.

Do NOT release your portfolio as any kind of .exe file. That's just scary these days.

Take the price list off the website. Note your services, provide solid examples of anything you want to sell, negotiate service contracts with the customer outside the website.

Focus your services more. Your offerings are way too diverse (read: unfocused) to be taken seriously. My intial response was ... an art school grad (or several grads) trying to get work ... not an established business.

And the whole Paypal things says "unprofessional" and "below the radar" to me. Until you are an established force in the biz, anyone who is going to contract you for serious work is probably going to be the ones to dictate terms of payment to you, not the other way around. Plus, any serious work will require filling out government forms like W9s so they can track their production expenditures.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    well besides the stuff paul already mentioned I have to say the following.

I actually downloaded the folio and went thorugh some assets. What do I see. hmm looks like the good old bobo engineer face texture. Hah, one image later, yeah close up!
    And this fun goes on, stole eye parts from the brunt texture and stuff barely seen. And I not want to know where the textures are coming from...
    Besides that the folio contains a lot of stuff in varying quality and I really doubt the authencity of this "company".
    But most of the time I see levels which look like a first voodoo 1 gfx card promo screen from QuakeGL...

So, do not rape textures or models, make some quality assets and stop being that naive.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I remember you guys. Posted this site a while back, but too bad you replaced it with a new site that as unnavigable. As _Shimmer said, you have stolen work, and it was obvious. The site is poorly designed, and the content is pretty low quality (art seems really dated). In fact, it reminds me of my portfolio from 1998. Try looking at some current level artist/design portfolios, get some next-gen/ high detail work in there, and some hand painted textures. The current lot are barely edited pictures.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    It's a template flash site you can buy from several sites. If you want to be hired for an art position, perhaps... originality?

And you stole work... Blacklist him. We should keep a list of artists not to hire, so companies don't get duped.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ahhh, Flash template. That's why they have the super-cool transitions, but the actual web page content looks like it was made with Microsoft Office. Not good.

Interesting that there are no actual proper names (that I saw) on the site, except for one Rich DiGiovanni, who is referenced in a way that makes it seem as though he's not involved with the 'Level Design Dreams' team. If there is, in fact, a team.

Hmm, stolen textures? Pull the lever, down you go.

Dreams, yeah. Keep dreaming guys.

/jzero
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    moving this to the proper forum--come on kids, let's read the forum descriptions before posting.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    There's no info about what games the levels are for, what polycount target, what texture res is being used etc... etc.... The one 'published' example says nothing about where it was published. Info would be nice.
  • Level_Designer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To whom it may concern,

The textures are not stolen. We created everything ourselves. The Wine Estate sample is where they are from. We do all our creations by hand so please do not assume we steal our work.

Thank you.

-Paul
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

The textures are not stolen. We created everything ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh? duh.gif
  • Level_Designer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

LDD on the Textures means Level Design Dreams for short.

LDD.

-Paul.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, sinistergfx beat me to it. I was just getting ready to post images of the Dwarf in your model portfolio, where the face texture is stolen from Bobo_the_Seal's Engineer model for Q3F.

The fact that this texture is stolen makes me wonder about the others in "your" portfolio.

Would you care to explain yourself, or would you prefer that I locked this thread now to save you some embarrassment?
  • Level_Designer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lock it. That texture is being removed the modeler I hired has that in portfolio for some weird reason.

I never knew. Now I do.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In future, I'd recommend you research your artists' portfolios in more depth, then. I'm going to lock this to avoid a big flame war or anything.
This discussion has been closed.