Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P - Semi Broken down city

Alka
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Alka polycounter lvl 17
Just something i've been working on lately to refresh my low poly modeling. The scene has texture maps ranging from 128x128 to 1024x1024. The ground was not meant to be a mesh on its own just to help create the scene. All crits and comments are greatly appreciated!

Poly Count;

Faces: 1663
Tris: 3354

My reference can be found Here.

City-Perspective4.jpg

City-Perspective3.jpg

City-Perspective2.jpg

City-Perspective1.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    hey you forgot a few things:
    http://img425.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chicagotownrender25xi.jpg
    I reckon the more it looks like that, the better. :P
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    not nice to rip off that author's design like that, at least credit him if your going to do that. infact you shouldn't have done it in the first place.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Huh? I really don't think it is a big deal that two different people did city blocks. Sure, this guy was inspired by the other... so what? That is like dogging a person because he isn't the first ever to model an ork.

On topic: It really isn't anything special. It needs to be taken up a notch or two before it is worth commenting on.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas: It's not just any city block. Some of the buildings have the exact design and location.

Anyway, with the ethics aside, a few points:
    Your polycount is nearly the same as the source, but you seem to have half the detail. Put more into your textures.

Your scale is off as well. You have parking spaces as big as a house, super-wide sidewalk, etc.

Keep in mind that when you copy others work as reference, it will very rarely go without being noticed. I suggest you, at the very least make a mention if you're recreating something to any significant degree.
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    *cough* *cough* (rip off) *cough* *cough*
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    everything seems to be out of scale or proportion, the textures are low in detail, the main block doesn't have windows till like 15ft up which looks odd. Then the small block just looks like it's a re-sized version of a big block. All of you fences seem to be floating in the air and one of them has strips of timber that would be impossible to fin the real world as they are like 3 times longer than real wood could ever be.

and you've been busted, not that it should dissuade you but it is frowned upon not to mention your source if it is so obvious!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    All the buildings look like they start and the ground stops, with a hard, hard edge. This is jarring.

Nearly every wall in the world will blend slighty with dirt, and most buildin will actually have a border at the bottom, with a damp proof course in it.

1 wall, 3 obvious layers of stone
    york1.jpg

Notice the discolouration at the base
    brick%20wall.jpg

rendered base:

house_southern_exterior_wall.jpg

These are little things that add depth to your scene.

Basically, just open your eyes and use reference. The devil is in the details.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incidentally - I know Craig Kerr - I work with him. Cheeky wee monkey. He'll recognise the avatar photo from one of our parties. I was going to stop him having a fight with this HUGE fella, but I needed the toilet.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    being inspired by someone elses work to make something similar can't hurt. I'd think it would be an ego boost wink.gif
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    course but I think he should be credited, its an 'obvious ripoff' which might not be a bad thing as you've said but yeah.
  • Alka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alka polycounter lvl 17
    Hello all,

First I would like to appologise to craig. I did send him a few pms on cgtalk when I first saw his work but he never msged me back so I figured it wouldn't be too bad to gain inspiration from his work. I'm striving to be an environment artist and from his renders it gave me a new zeal to strive even harder to gain recognition from companies as a viable candidate for a job.

To those giving tips thank you! as i'm sure you can see I need as many as I can get.

Rick_Stirling : thank you for the reference it really shows that extra detail that i've been missing from my scenes.

My next question would be a more basic one. When texturing for a game would it be best to take a photorealistic image and tweak it, take a photorealistic image and add it to something i've hand painted to give it that extra eumph, or would it be best to hand paint the entire texture either by my own creative mind or by using photorealistic textures as a reference?

Incase your wondering I did go to school for 3D animating and modeling but we never really touched on textures that much, nor did we really get into uv'ing other than human characters. I could really use any tips and tricks you guys have to throw at me! and yes I have been reading the forums for any and all methods for texturing/uv'ing.

and Rick if craig is at all angry at me for this please send him my appologies as I did not mean for this in any way to get blown out of proportion or to try to pass this off as my own creation without reference.

*edit* I've added a link to chads work quoted as my reference.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    to create a scene based closely on someone else's work, especially when that person's work is outstanding, only makes your work look much weaker in comparison. so much it may be ignored or degraded. even when you are inspired, try for something different. that way the feedback you receive will be focused more on your skill, and less on comparisons. there's an added level of difficulty and education when creating, rather than recreating. show some new stuff, and get better comments.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who is this Chad? You mean Craig?
  • Alka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alka polycounter lvl 17
    Yes sorry craig, it was around 4am when I wrote that post.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    For your question about texturing, I'd suggest this:

Do what works. Using photos is fine and pretty common practice, but dont rely on photos to do the work for you. have an understanding of how things work and dont be afraid to get your hands dirty with the paintbrush tool. I would definitely suggest doing more hand-made things as you start out. It will help you learn the foundations of how textures work rather than how to just cut and crop a photo. Most commonly, people will create a decent amount of stuff by hand, then go in and add photo-sourced accents as overlayed detail.