Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Khador Destoryer (big mech)

khador_03.jpg
khador_01.jpg
khador_02.jpg

Ref

I orginally posted this in the Privateer Press forum and in the WIP thread, a few days ago when I first started this model. I finished the mesh and decided its time for its own thread so I can keep my 'I do stuff SEE!' status hahaha =P

Once I finish unwrapping it I will release a SDK. I will be doing my own texture that is close to the default paint scheme. But its always fun to see what kinds of paint jobs other people come up with since most of the people here are better at textures than I am =P

I orginally thought of putting this model in UT2004, and while that still might happen I am kind of excited by the idea of putting it as a Space Marine replacement for Dawn of War. Of course that might run into legal issues so it I might be restricted to UT2004 =/

Changes:
- I have fixed the fingers, moved the thumb to the inside and made them look more detailed and look closer to what the metal model looks like.
- Added the cannon to the left arm.
- Detailed the face.
- Added spikes for detail.
- Optimized the mesh by removing unseen polys.

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Totally love the legs, they seem very unique to this mech. Awesome! smile.gif
  • razialx
    Offline / Send Message
    razialx polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool. I have been getting into Warmachine lately, went to a couple tournaments(to watch).

It captures it well, and the only areas of concern are the upper legs(thigh, I guess). Looks... Off somehow.

I dunno, talking out of my rear. I have been waiting to see some cool WM models, figured it would have happened sooner or later.

Are you going to do any others? IMHO the Khador are the best looking, though in the few games I have played I used Cryx. My brother plays Khador.

Who do you post as on the PP forums?, and did you post in the modeling forum or somewhere else?

You(if you intend on doing another model from the WM area) should put up a poll to see what to do next. If you feel crazy, I would say Karchev or Terminus(But do Terminus without the fluffy sleves on his upper arm.)

Also, this is one of the best paint jobs I have seen on a WM mini to date, I would love to see a similar style on this model!
    Great work. Kodiak Paint Job

[EDIT] Wow, I really come off as a little kid with this post. Get too excited around things nerdier than programming !
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    This is really awesome!
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Im excited for the sdk. Ive always been a fan of The warjacks.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm lookin forward to this one too. dunno if i'll do anything with it myself, but it's a damn cool model and i'm sure the PC community will crank out some awesome stuff for it.

Since you're gonna do an sdk, *big* question... what'd you make it in? if it's max, I'll put forward now the offer to prep the .obj (and .fbx) files seeing as max .obj's show up as utter rubbish in xsi (and occassionally maya).

One final thing, I think that'd make a slick model for UT2k4; and what you may want to do is mirror the whole model so the gun arm is on the right, and just set up the player code so that the gun model is hidden in 3rd person / from other player POV's so it looks like he's using his actual arm cannon for whatever weapon is being used.
  • ultra
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    very cool model, nice mech. Just one thing, how he move the arms?

ultra.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    its a ball-joint! cool model

Jody
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that thing rules.

its like DOG v2, or something straight from Final Fantasy. I diiig it laugh.gif
  • yeluis
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    nice clean model. and turning it into an sdk, that is sweet, cant wait to see the diferent aproaches people will take on it. keep the update of your version coming.
  • Mark Dygert
    Rig'ed and working on animations.
    khador_destoryer_walk_01.gif
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Don't know how much you want to add to the animation, but I think it would be cool if the cannon and hand bobbed up and down a bit during the walking. Might get sturdy otherwise for a mech that consists of so many thinly connected parts.

And it might be an idea to let it take a while before putting one foor in front of another, like it already does when he's on his left leg (though that's because of the loop). It seems to be walking pretty (too) smooth for such an unbalanced mech.