Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

entrance animation

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
just got clearance to post some work animation, haven't had a long time to work on it so its still pretty wip. I'd like just some general comments and suggestions for anything you think would improve the animation, (please ignore the unfinished weighting)

Its the first animation I've done using this rig so technically its all a bit unfamiliar, and theres a part just after the second time he stops where it glitches, and I'm having trouble smoothing it out. again, wip smile.gif

Its for a darts game, this is a character entrance where he walks in, claps a bit and puts his hands in the air to applause, and the camera will fly around him:
http://www.rooster13.plus.com/dartsavi.avi (divx, 1.2mb)
cheers

Replies

• PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    looks well executed but i think his waving/clapping could be more exagerrated.
    only thing to point out is the glitch you already know about wink.gif
    would be nice to see if fully lit and textured
  • TryForce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TryForce polycounter lvl 18
    i gues this is supposed to be a situation where the guy is like a star on the tribun and he´s infront of fans?

nway if there would be sucha situation i would make him walking at the beginning... maybe he should run out and then stop and show some more exiting...>_< sry my english sucks i know
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Generally a very good start - all I can really say is he needs a bit more energy overall, like pete says, the waving/clapping could do with more exaggeration. More detail on MSN smile.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    He stops walking, whilst clapping (after the wave). He should continue his walk IMO.
  • adam crockett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam crockett polycounter lvl 19
    His head is pretty static. He steps out of the door, and then doesn't ever look to his left, which is where I assume the audience is. How about having him greet the audience with a nod and a high wave as soon as he steps out the door?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks for the comments!

cuban pete: yeah I've exaggerated his wave a bit more, might push it further. The second time he stops I havent finished animating his top half so that will be more lively. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it fully textured, I'll find out. thanks smile.gif

tryforce, yeah I considered a run out, it all depends on the time I've got really.. time is tight. I'd like to put in a little jog onstage though

mop: dunno if you can see from the cam angle (its the best one to fit the whole thing in) but I've made him swagger a bit more. Might push it further, and I will try get some more emphasis on the waving

thnom- yeah, I'll see about that, I might make him nod to the ref guy or something so it makes more sense.

adam: again, tried to add in some swagger, it might need further exaggeration still. think you're right about noticing the audience sooner.

heres an update:
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/entrance2.avi (1.2 meg divx)

he still jerks a bit, working on that. so many curves! ooo.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heres a mockup with zoomy camera. Its probably a bit too zoomy tongue.gif
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/entrance3.avi
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just me or does he seem to have a slight limp in his left leg?
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    I think if you paint your weights a bit more you will be able to pinpoint where the animation needs work.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I won't be finalizing the weights for a while now- since the rig and bones have been revised a few times now, I've weighted it several times and if I touch up the weights till their perfect- I'm pretty sure I'd just have to do it again sometime before I'm finished. So thats why the weighting is a bit ugly at the moment, but I hear what you're saying- I could weight him a bit nicer without too much work.
    Kaos- it might be the camera angle, I can't notice a limp when I look at the walk straight on, but I'll have another look come monday.

I should mention its my first animation using maya so its still a bit foreign territory. I absolutely hate the way you copy and paste keys, maybe I just need to learn more about it. But it seems so much simpler in max frown.gif