3dsmax Face Rig Update Problems

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
Hi! (i also posted this in cgtalk)
- I got Jason Osipa's book, and wanted to do similar setup in max8
- I ran into problems - actually sort of update problems.

1. Parameter wire update in viewport. I need to have dummy morph targets in morph modifier to get secondary "volume" controls update in realtime. I haven't found any other solution. any ideas?

2. Objects too have update problems. Parameter wiring of eyelids works OK. Eyelids also take eye rotation into consideration in wire script - but they only update after i move time slider? - It's not too bad but it's not realtime frown.gif
- You can see this in video link. Moving eyes don't move lids until I move time slider. See how "BrowVolume" slider works in realtime. Tongue doesn't have dummy connections - that's why "MouthVolume" slider doesn't work in realtime...

- Whole parameter wiring is done in one max script, which then creates all connections - i'm complete newbie with max scripting but i think wirings are OK and i'm just thinking if there is a trick to help update of viewports?

(BTW models are just prototype models, i wanted to see clearly how things work)

20060101_face_controls.jpg

http://www.cgmill.com/ss/wip/20060101_face_controls.avi

Replies

• Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    I too picked up this book and found they 3dsmax answer to Jasons Maya setup is to use Joystick manipulators (found on scriptspot) and control them using the reaction manager in max. Click here is a screenshot of my set up.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Silva_Spoon:

Thanks for reply! - It seems like you don't have any kind of "Volume" Or "Assymmetry" Slider which Jason Osipa used, or at least they are not visible in your image. (cool looking head BTW!)
    - The problem what i have is only evident in this kind of situation;

- A is controlled by SliderA and it's effect is multiplied by SliderB

- A's wire is basicly: SliderA * SliderB

- Now, unless i make the trick i mentioned earlier, realtime update is not working for SliderB part, not even with morphs... But after this trick with dummy morph connections these "SliderB" cases are taken into account every time i move SliderA... Don't know if you have run into this. However, moving timeslider updates this wiring completely.

- But if you do have this kind of wire/expression and if it works better with this joystick manipulator - just could you please let me know wink.gif
    - I tested this joystick script earlier, and chose max objects... the reason was i couldn't access joystick from maxscript frown.gif

- But anyway thanks for reply!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know that this is much help but CG Academy has a DVD coming out here very soon on just this exact situation. It's all about rigging a facial setup and control system almost identical to Jason Osipa's method in 3D Studio Max. I too have his book and have been working on bringing it to Max in my spare time and have ran into similar issues. I'm hoping this DVD will shed some light on them and maybe get them resolved. Just was going to give you a heads up on it.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    TelekineticFrog:
    - Thanks! I have found a solution with help of guys in cgtalk forums; i just replaced those bone object wires with script controllers - They seem to be updating in realtime without any problems!
    - Now i'm just trying to figure out how to create these script controllers from maxscript (more like how to create script controller variables...)