Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cadillac Chaos

Steakhouse
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
Rather then pollute the Sketch thread post with progress shots I figured I would instead give this image its own thread.

It's based on a story I've been working on but enough about that, here are the images.

This was the sketch where it started:

ckpreview25bd.gif

The idea is to have the two main characters bailing out of a low flying space ship with the town below. Secondary characters and generic mook aliens would then populate the extremities of the image to help the various parts of it all to flow better.

From there I've been defining each part of the image a portion at a time starting with Kellen and Crowley in the middle.
kellenandcrowly0nj.png

I tried to work in a highly exaggerated pose because someone pointed out to me recently that most of my images are very stationary, with little to no movement in the poses of the characters. The motion I was shooting for was the figures being blown forward by the explosion from the ship behind them. The smaller character, Crowly, is reaching out to grab an item out of the air, while Kellen is taking shots at various mooks around them.

Another thing I'm fairly poor at is mechanical design and perspective which should be fairly evident in the next image.
plane2az.gif

This is what's become of the plane in the background from the initial sketch. I'll be putting characters on and around it in the future just as soon as I'm happy with its shape. I've really been wrestling with its tail end because I just don’t know enough of perspective to get it where I want to. If anyone has any suggestions I'm more then willing to put them into practice to get this where it needs to be.

I'll do my best to keep this thread updated every few days with something new.

Replies

• Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the progress for the past day or so. I've added in Grandpa Cleary into the plane (damn thing needs a title) and Rosen Mile onto the back.

plane28ht.png

And the gun Rosen is holding is a combination of a CZ-75 and an old revolver. I enjoy combining bits and pieces of recognizable guns into a whole new weapon.

rosengun7mh.png

This one is fairly simple because I rushed through it in places, though the image is really only supposed to provide a base for me to draw from.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This update doesnt add a huge amount as I've been finding little time in the evenings to work on this.
    And here we have aliens. I'm calling them Grendals for the time being.

planealiens14qo.png

They're pirates and I wanted to give them a haphazard look about their clothing choices so some will have a bit of armor and some will have shit kicking boots, etc. Despite their disimilarities I was still hoping to give them something of a unified color theme. Not really sure what that should be just yet.

This one in particular doesnt even get a shirt though I am thinking of giving him some sleaves from his arm guards down.

planealiens26pm.png
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Nice sketches man, supprised no one else has replied.

Would be nice to see some of the newer ones in higher resolution!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks good. love to see this mdoelled and textured in 3d also

only thing I thought was that the two central figures are kind of cancelling each other out. perhaps make the bad dude on the tail further down/smaller and the foreground guy bigger more perspective towards the viewer
  • El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Jeeze, Great stuff!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    This is great stuff! You're doing a great job!
    It should look great when it's colored in.