Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SciFi Support Beam

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
I've been working on this for a wee while for KillingPeople to practise texturing on. I've put in more work then I meant to so to make use of it I'll release the low poly and normal maps etc to anyone who fancies trying to texture it.

I'll try to find time to document some of the steps involved.

SciFi_Support1.jpg

Larger Pic at http://www.polycount.com/cottages/rorshach/pimp/SciFi_Support1big.jpg

SciFi_Support1b.jpg

SciFi_Support1c.jpg

Next to do is the low poly then I will process a Normal Map, Diffuse map and Global illumination map.

r.

Replies

• shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shincartoon polycounter lvl 17
    wow... it looks incredible. So much different from the usual stuff that you see.... It's FRESH!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    really excellent, and great level of detail.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    in the future, even holding up the ceiling is complicated business! smile.gif

great to see a more recent example of your high poly work, ror. i enjoy the attention to detail, especially on the scrapes and gouges on the interlocking v-shaped plates. should be a lot of fun to see how KP (and possibly others) will do with texturing it smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks vaguely Mayan for some reason. Nice work, curious how it will look in lowres.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    the dings and dents really adds to the piece.. Is it displacement or modelled in with say zbrush?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    neat piece, kev. I dig the lighting and beatupness (new word).
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye the whole thing looks pretty organic to me, which is cool.
    like organic metal (new word x2 combo takedown evanaged!)
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    AT-AT walkers need to poop too :P nice work. wink.gif
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really nice, but the damage seems kinda odd. The front and back look all bumpy and such like someone had fun with a bat, but then took out a knife and went to town on the sides. The long pipe, especially in the mid-section could use a little bending. With that much damage to the rest of it, either those pipes are really strong or someone was really careful not to scratch them while pounding the rest.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    With detail in games getting more and more detailed... even the beams take alot of care and work to do... time spent in older games, went into creating the main model!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! are those dents in the metal done in max? or taken into zbrush? Is that some of the normal level of detail in the Unreal 3 engine? Like whats are some of the polycounts for ingame stuff, if you allowed to give that information.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SciFi_Support_compare.jpg

SciFi_Support1_normals.jpg

The lowpoly came in at 1676. Everything is processed but I'm tweaking the heightmap and lightmap before release of the assets.

On the above comparison shot you can see where max is getting confused about the mirrored cap section
    on the top. The reason for this is due to max's normal support being flaky, this flaw would not appear in the
    UE3 engine. In UE3, the cap at the top would appear like the cap at the bottom without the flaws.

You may be able to see from the low poly at the far right that the smoothing groups are pretty forced on the poles vclamps.
    This is deliberate.
    Low poly was best though of as a rigid hard form in previous engines, now
    its best though of as putty and the softer it is and the more areas are on 1 smoothing group, the more ably
    it will be able to grab all the hi poly information.

It may look bad in the preview window of max, but in-game it will just look like it should. It's because of this
    that I chamfered the cap sections to make sure they were able to support the single smoothing group and
    process better and also so that the object is self capping.

As for the damage looking more extra on the central section and then there being nothing on the poles, this
    is because I'd hoped for a texture artist to pick up on my cue to demonstrate blast damage and burned
    metal areas here. Also, I hope for a texture artist to further articulate the level of detail here and overlay
    the softer dents with harder Photoshop generated impact crater marks and scoring.

The poles are plain because not everything needs to be articulated in 3d as that would be a poor use of time,
    particularly on a smaller less prominent shape such as the poles where the texture guy can damage them up.

As to their lack of deformation in 3d, again it is counter productive to warp the hi poly then unwrap to a
    warped low poly when I can treat it much like we would a ponytail on a character and keep it straight to
    start with for a cleaner unwrap later to be followed by deformation in 3d once the texture is final.

In this case I have unwrapped every key area neatly into tiling squares so thatall the main sections of the
    center body, pipes, clamps and bases are all capped and can be deformed through the 'Deform to Path'
    function or recombined in different orders.

The end result of this would be that although I spent probably a full 5 days modelling, zbrushing, low
    polying, unwrapping and processing, I will be able to get a dozen reuseable assets out of the set minimum.

The spec here is comparable to an average piece in UT2k7 and Gears of War. It all depends of course.
    Recently I've been able to spend about 4x2048 normal/diffuse/spec maps and about 12k polys on a
    single building for Gears. However, that's because its a singleplayer game and makes use of our streaming
    technology more than UT7 where the spec is more optimized as there won't necessarily always be the
    streaming tech to rely on in tight indoor levels.

It's also worth pointing out that the Building sections collectively, thanks to making things modular and
    liberal use of path deforming, help to produce about 60-80 assets ingame and can also be the base sections
    for later works.

I hope that helps to answer people’s questions.
    Environments take a lot more time when articulating to hi poly level so we try to make the most of that
    time by planning ahead to make everything modular, its really important to do this now and repetition is
    the cornerstone of good environment design anyway so its all good!

r.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    amazing that an expensive program like MAX would have problems where the U3 engine dosn't. Heh, looks like those guys at Max have some work to do.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the model and that writeup is an invaluable aid to the community, Ror, thank you very much for taking the time out post it all for us.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    well appreciated ror
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the model and that writeup is an invaluable aid to the community, Ror, thank you very much for taking the time out post it all for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

w3rd
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately - thanks for taking the time out to do that Ror...it is much appreciated smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    invaluable indeed rorshach , its good to know how you guys handle the normal mapping method together with every department, in this case texturing.

Thank you smile.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the awesome reading:D. Very informative! I can't wait to make levels for Unreal 2007. hehe
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for this example Ror. It helps. smile.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    amazing that an expensive program like MAX would have problems where the U3 engine dosn't. Heh, looks like those guys at Max have some work to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because we all know the U3 engine is just some cheap garage-born hack of an engine and no one actually puts any work into it wink.gif Besides, normal mapping has no use in games: its presence in the U3 engine's list of features is purely for show, wheras displaying cool real-time effects is vital to max's toolset (which has always been totally bug-free and never displays any kind of instability at all) laugh.gif

</facetiousness>

(Don't mind me, and yeah: great writeup Ror smile.gif )
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, because we all know the U3 engine is just some cheap garage-born hack of an engine and no one actually puts any work into it wink.gif Besides, normal mapping has no use in games: its presence in the U3 engine's list of features is purely for show

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, thats some comment! wink.gif the U3 engine/reality engine or any of the new next-gen engines use normal mapping to improve the realism of the games. Eventually games will be as detailed as the current CG Animation, so normal mapping definately helps lessen the gap.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    LOL, thats some comment! wink.gif the U3 engine/reality engine or any of the new next-gen engines use normal mapping to improve the realism of the games. Eventually games will be as detailed as the current CG Animation, so normal mapping definately helps lessen the gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well damn, even properly labled and ludicrously phrased sarcasm doesn't seem to work on the net ._. This pains me like... like iodine in the communal colon of the net... Or something wink.gif
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Great info Ror, thanks for sharing!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great job Ror, glad to have the reference.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement, it’s appreciated.

Recovering from the typical New Year drinking has slowed me down so before finishing of the thread I’m
    going drop in a general tips list for doing this stuff.

Tips –

1. Don’t forget it’s not really Hi poly work, its generous lowpoly work that uses hi poly
    assets to render out the design onto normal maps. Most people starting off on this tech forget what it is
    that they are really doing and put too much articulation into the silhouette which requires you to spend too
    many polys on the low poly later.

2. Try to model out all your low poly cages first without worrying about optimizing or turning quads into triangles
    so that you can use this work as a guideline and cage to restrain you from forgetting what all
    the hi poly assets are later going to be constrained to be processed down to.

3. Every part of your low poly needs to be capped and have a smoothing group, open edges will make it more
    difficult to process a normal map and ensure the asset cannot correctly light ingame and it will be much
    slower to render shadows from and upon.

4. Softer curves and angles produce better normal maps than overly tight chamfers and bevels because the normal
    map that is rendered from the HI to the LOW is relative to the normals of the LOW. What this
    means is that if you model a detailed Hipoly sphere and then a flat plane Lowpoly and process it down it
    will process an enormous amount of colour information into the normal map in an attempt to map a flat
    plane look like a sphere! If you however process the Hipoly information down to an identical sphere
    Lowpoly, there will be almost no colour information in the normal map at all because its only required
    when the normal map has to describe additional forms that are more complex than the Low poly asset.

It is vital that you understand this.

5. Mirroring is now flaky and requires work a around. We can no longer mirror a UVW Unwrap in the
    centre of an object, we need to ‘almost’ mirror it by ensuring that it’s a ¾ unwrap of the front
    section and then it can mirror the rest of the object. In a nutshell, the Rorschach effect is no longer
    applicable as it creates shadowing and lighting errors often. Normally, when unwrapping a face for
    instance, people unwrap the front ¾ on a unique space and then mirror the rest apart from the back of
    the head which follows the same ¾ unwrap rule. This rule should be applied to all objects in general now.

6. Assets that do not have a 100% unique unwrap now require a 2nd UVW channel where there are unique
    UVW coordinates for all parts of the model. This 2nd UVW channel is for the light and shadow information
    to work correctly ingame rather than trying to use the mirrored unwrap as it creates mirrored shadowing.

7. Processing normal maps in Max requires that all mirrored sections of the UVW coordinates must be
    detached and moved away from the original coordinates or when the normal map has processed it
    overlays the wireframe of the lowpoly over the top of the normal map.

8. It is often a requirement to process separate parts of the scene in separate files or processing passes because
    of the amount of polygons being hi enough that Max or Melody or our inhouse tools can’t handle it all
    at once and needs small chunks. Typically once your scene starts hitting a 100meg in size this may be
    a requirement.

9. The more objects you instance (like bolts and mirrored sections) in Max, the easier it is to process and
    the smaller the file size and the easier it is to update. Using layers to neatly group all the sections and then
    freezing the areas you are not working on is a good way to go to reduce waiting times between complex
    operations.

10. PolyCruncher from www.mootools.com is a vital plugin when working between Max and Zbrush.
    It is capable of optimizing zbrush chunks, generally between 75-90 percent without any real noticeable
    difference in quality. When using it, always remember to use the ‘select and optimize’ button as it causes
    less crashes when selecting parts you want to optimize. Always keep your chunks below half a million
    when optimizing them in PolyCruncher.

I think that’s enough for now, I’ll get back to this when I’ve got more time.
    A lot of these tips will be useless to you until you have
    been going through the process for a while, but eventually they
    should make sense smile.gif

r.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Yet again, thank you for sharing all this information with us. It is greatly appreciated.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shincartoon polycounter lvl 17
    Absolutely Amazing tips Rorshach. This is the best information I have seen on the net in a long time. Thank you for sharing all this with us. This really gives me a great guideline for my future projects. Happy New Year~!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    now I understand why it's going to cost millions to make nextgen games. Thanks for the wonderful insights, it's always a joy to learn something from well documented "posts" smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone not had the same issue in step 5 that ror speaks of? I have definitely seen the limitations ror is speaking of in 1st gen PPL tech, but I was wondering if anyone does not with their game engine.

Question:
    Has anyone used PPL tech where the color space is sampled on a per polygon basis (IE: in every instance green isn't always up or down?)

To simplify my question: Have you ever made an oldschool model UV with mirroring and overlapping and had the normal maps render correctly? This question is especially directed to those who mix and match by using the Nvidia filter and a 3D app to generate some of their normal map details.

-R
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    You have to take into consideration the 'XYZ' orientation of the 3D app your using as it is possible to render normalmaps that have sligtly different orientations. It's not really something to overly worry about as it's easy to 'fix' in photoshop by flipping the channels around.

What you shouldn't do with mix and matching is rotate the normalmap sections to fit into the texture space because that then orientates the normals incorrectly relative to what any given game engine is looking for.

Hope this helps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another heartfelt thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    5. Mirroring is now flaky and requires work a around. We can no longer mirror a UVW Unwrap in the
    centre of an object, we need to ‘almost’ mirror it by ensuring that it’s a ¾ unwrap of the front
    section and then it can mirror the rest of the object ...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you're just shuffling the lighting discontinuity off to the side of the head, instead of leaving it at the midline. True? Or does the error actually disappear altogether?

[ QUOTE ]
    6. Assets that do not have a 100% unique unwrap now require a 2nd UVW channel ... for the light and shadow information to work correctly ingame rather than trying to use the mirrored unwrap as it creates mirrored shadowing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is this a replacement for calculating the bitangents to use in the shader? From all I've heard, that should fix (almost) all mirror-shading problems.

Or maybe you're using that 2nd UV for light-mapping tech like PRT?

At our current stage of development, we've put off implementing the binormal calculation so the coders can concentrate on other more pressing things. So the artists don't use any UV mirroring at all, and it's bugging the heck out of us, it can be such a waste of UV space.

We've created most of the pre-processor that calculates the proper bitangent "flow," and it does it automagically with no artist involvement. So it seems this step is do-able on the tools end. Anyhow, I haven't seen it spit out anything visually compelling yet, so I'm reserving judgement.

One last request, could you detail some of the work that goes into your speculars? I recall you said something about it in the Jobs section awhile back.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Kat: If your engine can calculate the normal, binormal and tanget on a per polygon level then you can mirror and rotate all you like. This is an engine rendering limitation, not a normal map generation issue.

[ QUOTE ]
    At our current stage of development, we've put off implementing the binormal calculation so the coders can concentrate on other more pressing things. So the artists don't use any UV mirroring at all, and it's bugging the heck out of us, it can be such a waste of UV space.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same frustrations with doom3 tech, source tech and splinter cell tech. I spent all that time learning howto make efficient UV's and that knowledge went to waste...at least with those PPL engines.

-R
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ....This is an engine rendering limitation, not a normal map generation issue.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I should have clarified, I spend most of my time on D3 tech forums (and thier ilke) so I keep forgetting there *are* other PPL engines out there confused.gif
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: No. Specifically what the engine does not like is the Rorschach effect of having a centerline where identical lowpoly normals meet and have identical information on each side.
    By using the 3/4 face unwrap method, we do not shuffle the problem away, we eradicate it and the 2nd UVW channel problems a unique set of lighting and shadowing coordinate information.

I do not know the technical explanation and I do not even understand much of your technical questions, I only understand from experience what I have seen work ingame.

Like in the case of the normal map i gave as an example here, although max gets confused rendering mirrored sections, as long as the 3/4 rule is observed, the UE3 engine handles it fine.

As for the specular question, I'll ask the big Moosey to check the thread out and see if he can spare time to address the texturing side of things because I chose to specialize at the start of the project and work only in 3d.

r.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, that's good to hear. Weird how the 3/4 trick fixes the problem. I vaguely recall a coder here talking about how sudden switches of normal direction (the rorshach seam) can cause lighting headaches. He also asked for unique UVs for lighting fx.

Sorry about the techy bits. I'm still coming to grips with this mirroring thing, a bit impatient not having something to play with yet.

And thanks for asking Moose.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so heres the final assets for anyone interested in experimenting with them...

Lowpoly - http://www.polycount.com/cottages/rorshach/pimp/SciFi_Support1_low.zip

SciFi_Support1_NormalMap.jpg

SciFi_Support1_LightMap.jpg

SciFi_Support1_HeightMap.jpg

SciFi_Support1_Diffuse.jpg

And thats me done! The Diffuse is just a mask like base
    to make it easier for you to seperate pieces out from the whole.
    The Heightmap and lightmap are just aides to help you work out the depth of things and construct your specular.

I realise theres a lot more Q&A that could be done but it's back to work for me tomorrow so I won't be adding more info
    or assets to this thread.

It all gets easier with practise, all I can advise people is to simply practise and eventually they will get good with
    the new tech and start enjoying themselves.

All the best for 2006 folks and watch out for Gears of War and UT2k7!

r.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    its great you took the time and effort to create and document this, thanks! I'm not currently working with any normal map tech, but I guess it's quickly becoming commonplace and I'm sure this advice will come in very handy getting up to speed- Cheers!
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome resource, thanks for all the information! I'm surprised by how detailed the final piece looks with such a limited color map. shocked.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome dude thnx!

G E A R S of W A R !
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Height can also be used for parallax of course =)
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I know I said thanks once before, but just want to say thanks for this Ror.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    hey thats pretty cool.

a word on the mirroring though, in doom tech games theres alot of mirroring going on, and it looks just fine for the most part, in q4 almost all of the marine and strogg heads are mirrored all the way down the middle, theres a tag in the doom 3 engine shaders called unsmoothedtangents which makes the seams disappear (for the most part).

I've made quite a few characters using that tech, and I've actually been able to do all the things I could do with oldschool models, mirroring down the center, mirroring chunks here and there. It also depends on how you render your normal map, main thing is to make sure is that the normals interpolate over the whole mesh and there aren't any breaks that you don't need, like for rendering I don't delete the overlapping part of the uvs I just scale it down and drop it in the corner somewhere and then just use that for rendering, but for the ingame mesh the uvs overlap.

hey ror that lightmap looking thing you got, is that just a gi thing rendered to texture or did you do something different? it kind of looks like a cavity map from zmapper.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its just a lightmap render-to-texture in max that uses the light tracer advanced lighting option and a skylight.

r.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorshach: hope u don't mind, but this info is extremely valuable, so I made a PDF with all the tips you provided, for some quick reference to those interested.

http://art.lee3dee.com/files/rorshach_U3_guide.pdf

by request on irc, here's an obj for those not using max
    http://art.lee3dee.com/files/scfi_support.obj
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    this is really cool. gives me something to play with to prepare for how the new tech works.

scifisupport02.jpg
    got your processed normal and diffuse showing in DX9 so i can start to edit them. thanks for contributing, with the time you had off work.

edit: render fixed. xsi users, send me a PM if you would like my scene.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    th_rorshach_pillar02.jpg th_rorshach_pillar03.jpg th_rorshach_pillar04mb9.jpg

well, i think it's a little messy, but i was having fun doing so. i'll probably try another. these are screen grabs from the viewport. the first two have spec color maps and i faked a bloom effect on the red lights in photoshop. the second i darkened the diffuse map drastically to see what it would look like, and i thought it looked pretty rad. the third is using metalbump9 and has some quick lighting (no illumination or spec color maps).

here are the flats
    th_rorshach_pillarflats.jpg
    below 50% the size

thanks again to ror.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks to Rorshach and others for all the valuable info!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, thanks to all of you especially Ror for posting this! Very great learning material!