Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demoreel: Environment &Props

rockyj123
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rockyj123 polycounter lvl 18
Hi.. i will be graduating next month(Jan 21st) from Vancouver Institute Of Media Arts(Vanarts), and this is my Modelling/Texturing Demoreel.

Demoreel: www.rajeevj.com
Resume: www.rajeevj.com/resume.pdf

alternate link to my website: http://www.vanarts.com/portfolio/rajeevjagasia/

apache.jpg

tank.jpg

Thank You
Rajeev Jagasia

Replies

• EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Hey Rajeev, I like the work you're displaying in the demo reel, it's quick and to the point; which is a great thing.

One thing that I would suggest for your reel (and for any demo reel): At the beginning and end of the reel (or beginning of each piece), you should consider displaying text that tells what your contributions to that piece were and what tools you used. I'm assuming you created any models/textures/animations displayed and that your tools were photoshop and 3dsmax, but that's not always the case.

This information might be on your website or resume, but it's not something you want a potential employer to dig for, because generally, they won't.

Anyway, very cool stuff! Best of luck with job searching!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    some crits on your reel If i may smile.gif

I like the teaser at the beginning, but in not sure how employers may see it. Since they want to see the meat of the reel.

The title is missing ure email or phone number, how are they supposed to contact you? If they don't have your contact information near them.

The hollywood camera movement looks great on the tank, but you then cut to a rotate which is hard to see the details. Perhaps doing the same style for the wireframe would look better. Plus where the texture map for the tank?

Apache is the best work i think, but the maps are so small, its difficult to see the hard work you put into it. Making the LOD models so small makes it difficult to see the polygon reducion. A slow dissolve between each model would be more pleasing to show you have the experience in doing LOD.

The Doom3 level is a great idea showing the objects you made and their textures laugh.gif I will try something similar on my reel.

I think instead of putting titles at every section, it would be better to have that in your demo reel breakdown sheet. The WIP model looks great, but I've always been told to keep out WIP projects. Maybe complete the building and include it in the beginning on of the reel.

Overall it looks good, however it needs to be refined a little more. smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Your reel was missing your name at the start. It should be the first thing people see.

I think there were FAR too many polygons in your LODs. For your third lod of 3k It really should have been under 1000.

Thats the whole point of Lods, to really make a significant leap in model detail. That lod will be about 40 pixels high on screen.

Also, the initial 12k poly model to me looks undetailed for that many polygons.

Anyway, a good thing to do with lods is to take te original model and the lod, zoom out like you did and see if you can see a difference. I will put money on the fact that at the distance you were using the 3rd lod could have been under 1000.

Your website could do with some work - the textures on your model are good, but the images you use to make your site are blurry. You have a crate and a barrel with shadows that dont't show any of the background through and horrible jpg compression.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff overall. I agree with Rick that your LODs could be much lower. Just worry about keeping the silhouette. Also no need to zoom out. I would prefer to see the change up close. Cool to see someone showing LOD creation. I would have never thought about pimping that on a reel. The first building could use something in the street and background. I know it was freelance so maybe that's not a huge issue. I really don't like seeing WIPs on demo reels. To me it says that the time spent on making the reel could have been spent finishing the project and putting it on a site instead of a reel. I really don't think a reel is half as important as a website is in this industry. Film might be different. But I've found that most places almost prefer websites or zips cause them can pass it around easier. Hope the comments from everyone help you out.
  • rockyj123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thnx a lot for the replies guys..
    yes this reel needs a lot of work, i agree as i had to put it together in under 2-3 days as some1 had asked for it..
    i still have some time b4 graduation, so im gonna work on that wip n also the overall presentation..

cheers
  • rockyj123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi.. guys... i have update my reel a bit.. lowered the polycount..also there is a higher rez reel on it now..
    c&c most welcome..
    thank u..
    www.rajeevj.com
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    looks great, i love the textures. i would like to see more screenshots and textures on your page.
    later petra
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    great stuff overall, i like the apache. I think it could still use a little more work on the texture in some areas, like the highlight on the wheel, it just bothers me, maybe a bit less thick and more opaque would help. great job. The first building you have is really nice too.
  • honey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honey polycounter lvl 17
    hey man,

really gud work . well tank and apache looks gud . i like the detailing . and about ur demoreel that doom environment, wat to say cool dude, but u shud mayb try to make some more environments if u wanna apply for an environment modeller.
  • rockyj123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kalinka,yeluis and honey..\

yeluis:about the wheels.. thats a nice observation actually man..good eye
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    All I have is one tiny little crit.
    If the wheels on the helicopter are rubber, they should be sinking a bit under the weight of the helicopter.
  • rockyj123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow..
    thats another very good crit..thanks cmb
  • carakong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carakong polycounter lvl 17
    heya, outstanding work, really good stuff, I guess as for making it even better, maybe some rust stains coming down from the bolts,
    istockphoto_662198_bolts_and_rust.jpg