Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cave Story -Main Character- Wip

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Needles polycounter lvl 19
This is the main character in the Free game Cave Story.

frontbrace.jpg
bracefront.jpg
braceback.jpg

Wire Views

wirefront.jpg
wireback.jpg

This is not exactly how he looks ingame <quote1.gif>, Its a fan work concept that i found here, wich rocks btw.

1133805391765.jpg
<...>

Been a while since ive made or finished anything. But i love this game to much and this is my homage. Im planning on finishing a model for each concept. The girl is Curly, shes a secondary character that you get to play along with and you get Very attached to her. Especially after the Secret final dungeon :3

IMG_000057.gif
<curly>

Im still a long way off but i just wanted to show my progress.

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good start, but he suffers from girl crotch (a.k.a. birthing hips). Put some junk in his man-trunk, tone down the hip width and you'll really be on to something here.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, he's wearing some rather feminine hip-huggers. I expect to see thong showing.

Looks like you modelled penny loafers on him, which is all kinds of awesome.

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the head.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it does look like the hips are kinda wide, been having some trouble keeping the upper body proportions true to the concept, ill see what i can do.. thanks smile.gif
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If you really wanna stay true to the concept, then I see the following issues: the feet need to be significantly larger. The pants need to expand more at the ends and start expanding earlier. The torso (mainly shoulders) is too broad. waist is too narrow. Hands are way too small. Waist is too wide. When I first saw the model, I thought it was a woman with tiny tits. Theres a very stylistic shape to the arms that youre not paying attention too.

Those are the main problems I see. Good luck on working em out smile.gif
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points aesir. Seems ive run into a crossroads lol, go against my intincts and follow the concept tooth and nail. Or keep the model with real proportions. Kinda tough overcome this lol. Feels like im forcing myself to think that a shape looks right cause its in the concept. But its not cause nature says otherwise @_@.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I always invisioned 'him' to be more robotish. But it seems to be a good start.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea needles, I've dealt with the same problems whenever I try to do anything cartoonish. Right now its obvious that you've been trying to make a realistic mesh while making some sacrifices to the style of the concept. Frankly, if you want a cool looking character, then you should stick as close to the concept as you can. If you don't want it to look like the concept, dont look at it all while you model, and if you can, come up with a new concept. There really isn't any middle path you can take.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    JK: Well, at one point some NPC tells him that he doesn't look like a robot at all.

The concept looks interesting but your model doesn't quite look like it yet. Especially the gloves are a big ommission and he looks more slender in the concept.

Makes me wonder about Misery and Balrog (what are they, anyway?).
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    that is the most homosexual shirt i think i have ever seen in my life. even on the concept.
  • CMB
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed.
    I thaught that your model was a female.

Find better concepts/references.
    (by that I mean anything but anime.)
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Heheh i had the same thoughs. Yet im still making the model. if anyone wants to get all homophobic now. At least its not a big muscled shirtless dude. Im not gonna start musing about diff cultures artistic conventions.. i rather sit back and appreciate.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    well the homotastic shirt is froma fan concept, not somethign that you would HAVE to go with,,, even going as far as just covering his freaking tummy would help
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they took a lot of inspiration from Final Fantasy for that concept.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Oh teh noes, he's not some super macho man, whatever will we do!? Quick, slap some massive sci-fi boots on him and 50 tons of armour plating! (but no helmet that would just be gay and cover up the manly stubble and face scars).

I stay stick with the shirt and stick to the concept.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    looks like classic "Bishonen" ("beautiful boy") territory. it's not a concept that appeals very well to western sensibilities, but unless you feel like taking your own liberties i guess it's just as well you stick with it smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Naah, bishounen have more elongated faces, sharper features, often long hair and smaller eyes. He looks like the average nerdy lead character that anime fans can identify with. RPG lead character instead of main villain.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigh the dude never talked in the game lol. And well i guess i should point out that these are NOT official concepts these are FAN works, They are much more stylised than what you do actually see from the developer, style would more like something emo in the US or whatever. I really just though these looked pretty badass, wich of course that opinion comes with the territory . Guess i should have made from this drawing instead,

quoteandcurly.jpg

much more corservative outfit and style on that pic. But im liking how this thread is turning out so i shall continue. laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks too much like Ash from Pokemon on that second pic, better keep the style you're going for tongue.gif.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    acc theres a large diference between huge macho man with space boots, and a halter top
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, he's a robot, he doesn't know what dignity is.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the model, I changed the hands, New head, hat, scarf and made the gun and sword. I dont like the gun much so i might have a redo of it.
    update.png
    updates.png
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    No comment or flames ;_; ? Comon guys i know you can do better!
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    We just all shy away from commenting on that 'shirt' smile.gif

Seriously though, the nose seems strange and the cap could look more like a real 'basecap'.

Oh and give him some hair underneath his hat.

P.S.: bumping your own thread is evil tongue.gif
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    *Well not bump update* cough
    Well i need some input, i know that making it like the picture is not something my brain is wired to do. Or its just not up to my skill yet. So im gonna call this one done once i TexMap it and call it quits, and just move on to the chick.
  • Shady-D
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    lower his crotch he looks like a she
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't you try draw your own ortho's using the concept as a strict guide. This way you will be forced to follow the proportions of the original drawing, provided you draw the orthos acurately.