Home General Discussion

tablet pc?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
spitty polycounter lvl 17
has anyone tried one of the new tablet pc's that look like a laptop, but you can flip the screen over and draw on it?

i'm a bit skeptical, but it seems like it could be cool for working in photoshop. some of them use wacom pens, so i'm guessing those models might not be too bad.

does anyone know if windows xp tablet edition is much different than regular xp?

here's a link with some info if you're wondering what i'm talking about
web page

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    a "slate" tablet PC is one without a full keyboard, the one you're talking about is a "convertible" tablet PC.

I own a convertible Gateway model from 2004 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It works great as a normal laptop, but I can bust out Max or Photoshop as well. I'd like to look into models that have Wacom pens.. the sensitivity on mine isn't the best, though certainly workable. Probably the biggest complaints I have with it are that 1.) the screen is not very bright at all, which makes doing color work difficult, and 2.) occasionally when working with the screen open (not in slate mode, more like a laptop) the sensitivity drops out and I have to fiddle with opening the screen a little to get it work again. Not sure if either of these problems are present in other models, but I strongly recommend checking out a unit in person before buying.

That all being said, it's a compact way to get work done on the road. As I'm a freelance artist, my tablet PC has been very valuable getting a contract finished when I'm away from my main rig.

edit: also, no, tablet XP is virtually identical to regular XP, it's just got additional control stuff that's specific to operating a tablet PC. Button controls and voice recognition. Also: damn that IBM thinkpad model looks nice.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Tecra M4 is probably the best one for art right now, since it's got the highest resolution and fast components, and is still relatively light.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I was looking at that one awhile back. I've read some reviews on it that say the screen has some pretty poor glare & viewing angle problems though...
    But it does use the Wacom "Penabled" technology apparently.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    wouldn't this be groovy
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I have a COmpaq tc4200, and I dig it, but yeah it's limit is 1024x768 and it's a 12 inch screen, but it works pretty well.

It's good for sketching and all, but I kind of get tired clicking on everything and convertible mode with no keyboard....