Home General Discussion

Psychonauts

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
http://www.psychonauts.com/

It's possible I missed a previous thread about this game but I don't want to take the risk.
This game is incredible, some of you ought to buy it.

In the same way that Halo was reviewed as being great not because of any standout feature, rather because it balanced things so well that extreme progression was required, this game shines.

The characters, the story, the dialogue and the expansive range of minigames and quests all gel together into a deliriously additive blend of fun that should be accessible to all.

When so many development houses delude themselves into thinking they are capable of quality prose and inventive depths of wit, its refreshing to see someone effortlessly pull that off in a game.

It's just a joy to play and dammit, it's not selling like it should so I'm trying to convince people to give it a try because if you don't, bearing in mind how many 'oh why oh why' threads I've seen the majority here indulge in...

...well if you don't check it out you will end up seemining like hypocrites for lambasting the lack of quality in games today in general as this one's a classic.

I have 3 games saved on it atm, 1 for me, 1 that I started with my 2 and a half year old daughter that became mine and
1 that is still her's!

She loves to instruct me to find and beat up the 'big bad bear' and to collect the bubbles ( buried arrow heads that are the game's currency , though they emit purple bubbles on the grounds surface and thus the root of her mistaking them for bubbles).

So I play it with her, and I play it alone to quest through the game, it really had a lot of range.

I think above all, I love it for it's humour. I'm very cynical and sarcastic and jaded when it comes to humour or intelectualism in games ( well not just games actually ) because I read a little too much...
... but I constantly admire and laugh at this one, its just pure bliss to play a game like this, even to know that people are still making games like this amidst a sea of sequels and a and neverending plethora of the Empire's by the numbers movie tie-ins.

So if you are feeling tired and close to giving up on finding something fresh, give it a go, or if you are just looking for something cool you might have missed, then put your hand in your pocket and give it a try.

r.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    dammit, xbox only..
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, really great game. One of my favorites from last year. I got to hear Tim Schaffer speak at GDC a few years ago and wow. He is as off the wall in person as Psychonauts and his blog (I mean www.doublefine.com news section) is. Ashame it didn't sell that well though.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    One of the best! grin.gif

I picked this one up because I was bored, and didn't really have much else to spend my few bucks on, and wow! I was completely blown away.

a few weeks later I tried that same strategy again, and ended up seeing what CDs do in the microwave. So I guess its a once in a blue moon sort of find.

Anyways, Psychonauts has to be on my all time favorite game list.
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dammit, xbox only..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it is available for ps2 as well.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ror, i agree 100% best game i've played in many a year (tho the last level will make you hate it untill you beat it) its brilliantly done, i need to go back and check shcafers past works.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    It's also avaliable for PC as well.

I finished this game a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it. It took a while for me to get into it, but the characters are great, and the pshyche/levels idea is very nicely done. The voice over work is amazing, probably the best VO I've heard in a game. I thought it was actually a little too long for my tastes, but that's probably just me.

Anyways, yeah, this one's a true labor of love. I'm glad Double Fine is at least getting another shot with a new game in development.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's also avaliable for PC as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Linky me (other than ebay). EBgames.. or should I say Gamestop. Or should I say "fuck PC gamers" only showed me the xbox version.
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dammit, xbox only..

[/ QUOTE ]

FFS, oxy, get one already or stop whining.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, I really enjoyed it, but it's an incredibly uneven experience. For every amazing level or moment there is an equally bad or repetitive one.

I think personal hype had a great deal to do with it though. I was looking forward to it for years.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    FFS, oxy, get one already or stop whining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. I have neither the money, space, nor set to get one. I also know how dangerous having a pure entertainment machine to play. You know this. frown.gif
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    the money i understand, but it's worth saving for, especially if you are into games. dangerous? it's all in your mind really. i own a GC, PS2, Xbox and GBA, and yet somehow I manage a full time level design job, community UT2004 mapping, a wife, band practice, and a social life on top of playing games. (and i know, compared to a lot of others, that this is NOTHING.)

I understand though, Forza Motorsport took a chunk out of my life this summer. tongue.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Schafer and his crew of double-finers are an awesome bunch indeed. Got to meet and talk with them when they did an art show of Psychonauts concept and in-game art at my college.
    I was really impressed with what I saw, but never actually got the game (I don't play console games as much lately). May have to pick it up sometime soon.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    For a second you had me thinking I made this stuff up. Here's an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...re&n=507846

And here's the news straight from Double Fine:

http://www.doublefine.com/news2005summer.htm#23June2005
  • Daz
  • Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Overall I loved the game but did have one roadbloak that frustrated me to no end. I played through and probably had died 5 or 6 times when I reached a helix shaped fence that required awkard angled jumps. I reached and failed a jump with fire in the way as well as on the next fence segment over 50 times before swearing the game off entirly.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I played the demo and loved it. The game oozed character and quality.

Its's still not out int he UK though, I believe it's due early December, and it is on my Xmas list.

Also, I just completed The Warriors. There were a few flaky moments, but overall a great and sadly overlooked game that I do urge you to pick up. It has reinvented the beat-em-up genre.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Just checked Play, Rick, and they say 4/2/2006. although Amazon say Friday (360 day!)

Finished Beyond Good & Evil last week, so I need another quality game
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

...She loves to instruct me to find and beat up the 'big bad bear'...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...I didn't even do anything this time...*sniff*... ;]

But yah, I agree 100%. This game was definately a refreshing change from the norm and well worth every penny. The characters are great, the gameplay and environments are amazing. Good stuff all around.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Psychonauts was on my top games of all time list up until the Meat Circus. It did so many inventive fun things right up until the last level where it becomes a big ball of jumping-puzzle crap. I couldn't even finish the game.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I heard about this game, and it looks to be something I would enjoy. But for some reason I also thought it was Xbox only, and PC which I won't install a game like this on. It seems the PS2 version came out a few months later. I'll check it out.

On a similar note, since they share the same publisher, I didn't know Advent Rising had been released. Guess I have myself to blame. Prince of Persia (SoT) is one of my favorite PS2 games, and it did poorly in sales at first. Just need to go out and find them myself, eh?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I really want to check out this game.

One thing that bothers me though, is that during the developement, about halfway through the dev cycle, all the level designers left. It's not clear if it was because they all quit at once, or Schaffer laid them off. Either way it's pretty clear it was because of creative differences. From the Post Mortem, it sounds like Schaffer tried to control every aspect of the developement and the company, using the employees as human etch a sketches and level lay out tools to bring his "vision" into reality, and the LD's got tired of it, which led to the split. After that the environment artists did the level design, but it was basically just them doing exactly what Schaffer wanted, with no real input of their own.

It's funny if you look at their company photo after shipping, it's like Schaffer and a secretary as the only people over 30, and every other employee looks to be straight out of school. There is nothing wrong with that (shoot, I'm still in that category) but I think it says something about the company and how it operates. I know they didn't start with that few veterans.

I'm sure the guy is smart, but things like that just sour me to the game before even playing.

poop.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This game was a whole bunch of fun, although I also did not finish it. Jumping puzzle mania got to be a bit much for me later in the game. I really like the art style & voice acting though. All that was pretty top notch.
    Some of the graphics/assets were a little lower quality than I would have liked, but meh.
    It was fun.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    it was basically just them doing exactly what Schaffer wanted, with no real input of their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think there's a chance the overall quality of the game would have suffered if the level designers contributed their ideas?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    what a great game, if only it was a point & click adventure game, I'd be in heaven.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what a great game, if only it was a point & click adventure game, I'd be in heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

I share that sentiment. I still replay the old LucasArts adventures every now and then.

Still I enjoyed Psychonauts despite the fact that the last stage was fiendishly difficult. Not generally a fan of 3D platformers but this one has considerably more depth than the usual fare. Hope their next title contains more adventure elements though.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it was basically just them doing exactly what Schaffer wanted, with no real input of their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think there's a chance the overall quality of the game would have suffered if the level designers contributed their ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, if they were bad level designers it would have suffered, but then that would have been his fault for hiring them. I have full confidence that experienced qualified LD's could contribute to his vision without being forced to obey his every whim. Artists do it under AD's all the time. I know I would never want to work for an AD that made me into his wrist, never getting any creative input of my own. It's one thing to adhere to a vision, it's another to be an extension of another person.

And, maybe the game was better becauase of it, who knows? I just know that's not the type of working environment I'd ever want to be involved in, one that stifles any creativity but the "visionary" in charge. And I'd rather not support that type of studio by purchasing their products either.

poop.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPOILERS tips for the meat circus

the circular fence you have to climb up and around , climb to the top of the first segment, and jump up on the lip there, stand on your bouncy psi ball and super jump way up to the highest fence you can reach, and repeat, not that hard if you do that,

then you have to walk across the tight rope an daddy is throwing the flame darts at you, turn invisible and just walk across
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sure, if they were bad level designers it would have suffered, but then that would have been his fault for hiring them. I have full confidence that experienced qualified LD's could contribute to his vision without being forced to obey his every whim. Artists do it under AD's all the time. I know I would never want to work for an AD that made me into his wrist, never getting any creative input of my own. It's one thing to adhere to a vision, it's another to be an extension of another person.

And, maybe the game was better becauase of it, who knows? I just know that's not the type of working environment I'd ever want to be involved in, one that stifles any creativity but the "visionary" in charge. And I'd rather not support that type of studio by purchasing their products either.

poop.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, all but one of the original level designers were fired (they didn't leave on their own). The remaining guy was made the lead LD.

Anyone going to work at Tim Schaefer's new studio would know that they are going there to make a Tim Schaefer Vision. Of course everyone gets a certain amount of input and I'm sure the remaining developers did during the making of Psychonauts.

Beyond that, none of us has any inside info with regards to how the development of the game went and if anyone was treated unjustly. Poop, if you have stronger information I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'd reccomend checking the game out as it's quite good.

It sounds like you're saying that some of the developers were creatively raped and that offends you personally somehow. If so, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I believe Alfred Hitchcock was a bit of a dick to his crew and cast, putting them under stressful conditions on purpose and generally mistreating them.. but he turned out some masterpieces. It's a difficult point for us as producers and consumers, as we empathise with the workers but admire the finished product.

I read once that Miyazaki checks every cell of his films before release to make sure they're perfect.. I can't imagine him allowing input from all the production team into his vision, to allow it to evolve the way some projects do. There are only a handful of videogame auteurs, and I guess the price of working with a 'genius' to create their vision, is that sometimes it isn't going to be enjoyable. It sucks, but I know I'm not going to boycott any Ghibli films because the background artists werent allowed to go with their instincts.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really see the problem, when you go to work for someone you are expected to do what you are told to do not what you want to do.
    If you wanted a blue house but the painter starts to paint it red, because he thinks its better, wouldnt you fire him?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I hear Kubrick was hell to work for as well...meticulous, supposidly tyranical, prone to bouts of cursing & shouting.
    But nobody can argue with his results.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i hear the real reason all the level designers left is because they wanted to use speedtree and tim was like "your all fired assholes!!"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I hear that they used poser for all of their character work.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I applaud the guy having the balls to sack a bunch of ld's if they were determined to do their own thing rather than what they were paid to do.

Ive been on projects where large ld splinter groups form and the boss just endlessly tried to placate them rather than put his foot down and it ruined the game.

Many were the times I wished he would sack them or at least discipline them.

Much like Poop, I haven't the slightest idea what happened at DoubleFine, but I'd fire a bunch of people if they thought they were strong enough to mutiny due to numbers.
    It's mutiny amoungst team members that often causes games to flop, simple childishness and the inability to get along ruins many more games than we admit.

r.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the game a lot, but didn't like the art direction on the characters. Well, no...I didn't like the skin tones. I'm really not a fan of what they had.

I agree with Nitzoff about the good leve/bad level swing. The Milkman Conspiracy level was amazing. Was so fun to jump around it and the G-men were hilarious. The mechanic for getting past them was just great. Lungfish Town, or whatever, was awesome, too. The gameplay in it wasn't that great, but the scale was. The Napoleon gameboard level was cool on paper, but was mundane in execution. Oh well. However, the Velvet whatever level was so damn stupid.

I really didn't like the decision to not let you play the levels again in their original form. I really wanted to play through some for a second time, without having to go through the whole game again.

About Schaffer:
    As an aspiring game designer, I respect Schaffer for
    having such conviction. As a level designer, I'd never want to work with him because I wouldn't be able to stand being completely just a grunt and having no creative input (if that was the case).

I wonder if there were any ld's who were completely listening to Schaffer, but got lumped in with the others and got canned?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I can't honestly see where you would not have any creative input as an LD. Sure, the lead gives you constraints to work with, but it is up to you to use the constraints you are given creatively while adhering to the overall design of the game and helping to fulfill the lead's vision.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i loved all the levels, but the meat circus, milkmans level was the best i think,
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its the artist versus artisan arguement rising its head again. So before we go too far, they are both acceptable viewpoints, and each is desired over the other with particular companies/individuals.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Ok. Maybe not "no creative input", but pretty much that.

I've sat right beside a situation where the ld had very little creative input. The design was given to him and all he got to do was place the entities, debug, and fix the holes that the original designer didn't bother to address. Nothing like having a mechanic that's never used in the game ever again. Yeah, I'm still bitter about what went down.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    most renaissance masters did not paint their own paintings.. they laid out the compositons and had lackys fill it in..the goal i guess would be get your own lackys to fill in your compostitions.. you usually have to prove yourself somewhat before doing that..
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    It's really just an east vs. west thing. Games in Japan are the creative vision of a single individual. Those underneath know that their time will come if they just do their work. It's like an apprenticeship.

Western game design is design by committee. All Tim is doing is using a different design philosophy if that is the case.

Both can work, both can fail.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's their playground, we rent space.
    We're owed our wage, nothing else, don't forget it's a job.

r.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Some places, yes, but not everywhere.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ror, sometimes I wonder if your not the most pessimisitic person I have encountered (yes even beyond me). I mean if that how you truly feel, then why the bloody hell spend so much of your waking life at it? There are other "jobs" that pay better and require less of your time and stress.

Ah hell, Im probably reading into it too much. Answer this though. What is your self passion these days?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Of course Ror is perfectly capable of answering in his own defense should he feel the need, but I feel the need to iterate that its more than one persons perspective. That statement Ror last made is perfectly true. Nothing else is owed to us but a wage. Games companies are merely our employers, nothing more. They have no obligation to provide anything else at all whatsoever, other than the various things that the law dicates ( health care, toilets, regular wank breaks. Whatever, I don't know ). Sometimes extra good things ( e.g creative buzz, shagging the secretary etc ) come along with and on top of employment, sometimes not. It's the luck of the draw. You call it pessimism, I call it reality.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, are you (Daz and Ror) referring to just artists or everyone in production (minus art and creative directors)?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Look, Im not trying to flippantly create a bleak picture here! It simply is what it is. An employer pays you a wage for labor and time that you provide for them. They are under no obligation to do anything further. For any of us. Be it artists, everyone in production or the woman that makes the coffee. I am thankful that I get a creative buzz from being a 3D artist, but my employer isn't under any obligation to provide that buzz. It just happens. You're over complicating this. "We're owed our wage, nothing else, don't forget it's a job." That's all Ror said, and it's the cold hard truth. The good news is, creative buzz often does come with this job, but not always. There is no guarantee and there sure as hell is no obligation.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but then there is the fact that if you completely deny creative input, you can get whole teams to threaten to up and leave, and then you have to *fire* them all.

No one is obligated, but the law of supply and demand applies. There simply aren't enough experienced tallented artists/programmers/designers to go around, so if you won't treat them right, they will go somewhere that will.

poop.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You're absolutely right mate, but that doesn't change the fact that your employer is that, and only that.

I hear working for videogame companies in Japan is positively hellish. I bet Kojima doesn't fuck about in inflicting his vision. I pretty much guarantee that's a hardcore dictatorship. The MGS series is industry leading in many respects though.

Anyway, we're getting into philosophical debate here about the creative process. It's interesting, but probably hard to reach a conclusion on this one!