Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mercedes L3000S

Vitor
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vitor polycounter lvl 18
First thread i start here =)
This is a model i've doing in my spare time for a game called 1944 LINK:

(there are some mirroring errors, can't get 3dsmax working well with mirrored UVWs and normal maps frown.gif )

Polycount: 5200 tris.
Textures: 1024*1024 Normal map

18b6ig.jpg

19b8aa.jpg

20b9oe.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    *Attention Mr Ruggels, Attention Mr Ruggels*

Looks good man, though I'd suggest trying to find a better viewer to show off the normals.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    mercedes-opel-blitz.jpg

The cab seems slightly large, and the "A" pillars fromthe hood (bonnet), to the roof seem a little too thick.

mbLkwWL-18852li_Baydeww2.jpg

Not here, how the roof is not flat, but slopes gradually up as it moves back from the windshield.

mbfiretruck1f_Frank.jpg

Here's a Blueprint image showing the relative tire size compared ot the fender and the windshield. The body though is for the Fire Engine body, bot the utility body.

mbL3000S1_Oswald.jpg

A command post on the truc bed on a standard utility body, Note the thin ness of the roof and the "A"pillars, as well as the shape and epth of the cab.

You have a good start there, you just need to ckeck your proportions against the photos, the same as you would ifyou were modelling a realistic human.

Scott
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oddly your model resembles the L3000A a little more than it does the L3000S. See?

mbL3000A.jpg

But I'd suggest a bit more work in proportions as well.

Scott
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbL3000.jpg

Here's an excellent front shot, showing the true shape of the window and the lateral thickness of the "A" pillares on either side. The Italian troops in the back for scale.

Also note the shape of the radiator is more of a rounded house shape, than a half circle round asyou have on the model.

Scott
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    heh, scott's a badass.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    The shape and normal map of the vehicle is very nice! The only thing that I don't like is how "dark" the color of the vehicle is. The seat, the cab, and the wood, look very similar in color and texture, it just seems too beat up for me.

It looks very nice though, but that's just me 2 cents!
  • orangecatninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orangecatninja polycounter lvl 18
    christ, i'm amazed/scared at how much reference people have handy on an old truck ;]

that's really lookin nice,normals/model-wise.
    tweak the mesh a bit with the new-found ruggels awesomeness,
    and that's all set.

the textures are really close, but there's a lot of really cool details that you could add, along with some spec/reflect in choice spots. could you post those and explain how you're doin that? :]
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i like ti vitor, i agree with what has been said , and i would definately work out more the normal map, add bumps, scratches, everything, layers of mud so thick that it makes us puke, add some bulletholes or summit to gve the sensation that it had been thru a hell of a war smile.gif

keep updating us PLEASE ( u know what i mean wink.gif )
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, sorry, I didn't notice that you hadn't made a color map yet, my bad!