my first animation! w00t!

gonna put it into JK3 as a taunt animation smile.gif

ps. its in quicktime format.

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You should've seen my first animation. A superhero lifting his arms and taking off in flight.

If you want a critique, try planting the feet. Also right now the arms are very animated, but the spine and head don't do very much. Lastly the sword just kind of floats into place at the end. A lot of begining animators don't "finish" animations, they just let them tween back into the idle. Did you do the model? He's got a cool FF look to him.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yes i did do the model, and of course it has an FF look, its meant to be Sephiroth :P (or rather, my own take on him...)

ill see what i can do about the back and head for sure, im not entirely sure how to fix the end of the sword movement though... and the feet i definately need to fix, thanks a lot smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That was a TON better than my first animation attempts. Still needs work though. First off, plant the feet. Second, remember these words: "ease in, ease out." I saw you doing it for some of the motions, but not a lot of them. Ease into every motion and ease out of every one. No one changes direction/stops on a dime.

Cool shit though for a first try. You've defintely got more of a talent for timing then I did when I started.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice one! To improve for the next animation, try adding some variation in the speed things move- the timing of the animation. Right now, the arms move at a pretty steady pace, quite predictable- which is not as interesting as it could be. Maybe he could swish thw sword out to the side, pause for a second and then bring it behind the back. Same with the hand coming up infront- theres no emphasis on one particular part of the motion, it goes up then straight back down. If I was flipping someone off I'd raise the arm forcefully then stop it in position (perhaps it shakes slightly) then drop it more casually. Also maybe a little secondary motion on the sword, they're pretty heavy things.

Of course, animation for games has a lot of limitations concerning the time frame you have for certain actions, but within those limitations there is still plenty of room for variety
    Cool stuff tho, look forward to seeing more!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, the skeleton im working with, doesnt have any form of IK solvers, and i cant add any either, because the game will literally crap its pants. so its hard to get the animation as smooth as i would like.

pffft excuses over!!! Monster, ive tried getting the head and spine a little more active, ive planted his front foot, and have the right foot lift up from the ground when it moves, so theres no magic sliding.

ive tried to define a little better, whats going on with his right hand, which i want to be him flicking his hair out of the way. unfortunately, i cant add any more bones to the rig, or i would have to redo all 200+ of the games animations, and i dont feel confident enough yet. otherwise, i would animate his hair as well!

one question though, im animating in max, and i would like to know if theres a way to scale the entire animation, so it plays over a longer timeframe, so it all appears a little slower?

edit: done that, click the link in the first post for the updated animation, the head snaps a little in the middle, but im on top of that right now! and how does he look with the specular map he will be using in-game?
  • almighty_gir
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good. Some crits from me:

1. His right foot should move faster when it repositions it at the start. Have you tried recreating this guy's actions yourself? Get up out of your chair and act it out! smile.gif
    The movement of that foot also represents a re-distribution in his weight, so the pelvis should rotate when the foot is planted in the new place.

2. The torso (spine) is almost entirely stationary for the whole animation - get some motion in there! Animations always look more dynamic when the pelvis and shoulders are rotating against each other - ie. when one side of the pelvis is up, the opposite side should be up on the shoulder.

3. He doesn't seem to have any focus. What's he looking at? What *should* he be looking at? His head is kinda waggling around seemingly at random right now. If you gave him some kind of intention, something to look at, it might seem more believable.

4. I think you should speed the overall animation up a little. You could do this either by moving all your keyframes so they're closer together, or (and this I would probably not recommend a whole lot, especially if you have more than one animation in the scene), you can use the Re-Scale Time option you should see by right-clicking on the playback buttons in Max.

It's improving, keep it up! smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ok, this should be better smile.gif

http://www.mechmod.com/team/Almighty_gir/test3.rar

changes:

1. kept the face "locked" onto the target (in this case straight forward).
    2. moved his clavical bones around, along with the thoracic, to give him the impression of leaning forward, intimidatingly.
    3. made the leg movement faster
    4. sped up the animation.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely better.
    His left arm seems to "pop" a little ... I think you may have too many keyframes... something I used to do when I did my first animations was, if there was something that looked wrong, I added keyframes to try and fix the problem. While it might seem to be working, in the end it'll cause a lot more problems than it appears to fix.

Are you using the Track View at all for changing animation curves? A lot of natural smoothness in animation can be attained just by tweaking the curves of existing keyframes, rather than adding more to try and rectify stuff.

Basically you want as few keyframes as possible, keep it clean, and use Track View to do all of the tweaking and timing work. If you haven't used Track View much before, now's the time to start learning it - you should quickly realise how powerful and useful it is.

Mainly a lot of the problems with the animation here seem to come from a lack of natural smoothness (such as him spinning the sword in his hand) - seems very jerky. This sort of thing is what Track View is so good at sorting out. Learn to love the curves!

Keep it up smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks a lot MoP! this is quite informative, and ill be breaking out the max bible later on to find out how to do that to best effect!

right now though, i have been doing this for the best part of 5 hours, so i am gonna take a break/move onto something else. and i'll leave you all with this:

www.mechmod.com/team/Almighty_gir/victory.rar
  • pairorat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pairorat polycounter lvl 18
    left link: broken!
    not too shabby at all for a first anim and excellent choice in subjects.
    a few quick crits:
    when he moves his right foot back you need to shift his whole torso to the left to counteract the loss of the support that leg was providing.

Stand up and try and lift one leg without shifting your weight, can't be dont unless you like falling down smile.gif

aslo his left hip need to shift higher than his right hip to account for all the extra right sided wieght it's now supporting

heres a sweet lifelike illustration describing this effect.

awesome.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    link fixed ^_^

thanks, ill bear that in mind when i finish the animation tomorrow !_!