Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boxing Trainer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
Just thought I would post up my current project - an old boxing trainer.

Normal maps just about finished, as is the spec and diffuse (though I dont have the diffuse here at work so I cant post up a coloured shot!). I've made some morph targets for the face and now have to rig this dude up... mygod I hate rigging frown.gif

render.jpg

Will probably go in and round off some of those more visible edges before I start weighting it up to the skeleton.

Replies

• Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    When I saw the thread title I jumped for joy. "A new PunchOut! sequel!?!" Hehe.

Normal maps look wonderful. The anatomy of the head is kinda wonky. The ears seem extremely high, the nostril parts of the nose seem to be a lot less round than they should be. The area just around the chin seems flat.

Great work though overall though. smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Slum nailed it with the ears being too high. If you are careful you can possibly just morph the low poly with soft selection, and not need to re render the normal maps. Looks good man overall, nice small scale detail.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm yeah I saw the ears thing myself and knew it wasn't "anatomically correct" ... its pretty close to the reference I used though. I suppose pulling them down to be in a more "averaged" place wouldnt be too hard though... soft selection is indeedd our friend smile.gif

Heres the ref I used for general proportions

ear.jpg

Thanks for the crits so far though guys smile.gif

EDIT: Just thought that it might be because my reference could have his head tilted forward slightly?
  • ShadowM8
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
    Years are inbetween the bottom of nose and top of eyebrows as a general rule, it fits with your reference but not your model .
    Very nice model btw!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    IT R TEH FAT_CAPSLOCK
    how are ya mate smile.gif

as a general rule, the reference you should be working with is
    004_skull_profile.jpg
    the middle of the ear pretty much sits on the end of that skinny cheekbone that goes along the side of the head. NOTICE where that skinny parts come from.. from the socket it narros down roughly at the same level of the cheek. in your model, that skinny bone sits way too high, like in the level of the socket. thats where your problem's at homie
    good luck! smile.gif

EDIT
    chex0r this out!
    http://www.bmezine.com/skulls/alien/index.html
    alien skulls from the abyss!
    freaky stuff.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Shotty dooood! Hows tingz!?!?!?!

Thanks for the heads up... you truly are the Mr. Miyagi of anatomy!!!

I've pulled the ear down a bit - hopefully its in a less freaky looking situation now. It looks better to my eyes at least.

new_propo.jpg

Ignore the artifacts on the guy's tracksuit - its just something to do with the fine detail of the fabric... I still haven't got the finished maps with me here at work.

Will post the colour shots up tonight...if I remember wink.gif
  • El_PIG
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, nice work!
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Damn gud work thus far, looking forward to see how the diffuse pans out on this chap.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Eventually found some time to get these shots rendred off...Im getting forgetful in my old age!!!

Textured model
    render1.jpg

And a few little morph target tests smile.gif
    morph.jpg

Still working on rigging him up which should be done soon.
  • verybad
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. Looks incredible, I was just thinking how cool it would look if one of the guys eyes was filmed over with cataracts or blindness.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work. There's something ever so slightly quirky about the eyeshape perhaps, and the open mouthed morph target looks strange with the little creases either side of the mouth. I guess the only way to avoid that is to start looking at blending normal maps. Great stuff though. He's got a lot of character. Makes me think of something out of a Guy Ritchie movie for some reason. He'd look perfect in a gym in the east end of London.
  • the_podman
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    Really great model. Those are some scary morph targets. I wouldn't want him training me.

The lower half of the face seems older than the upper half a little. I think it's the sagging cheeks.

Now just grab the sound bite from Rocky of Mickey calling stallone a "bum!" and you've got some lip-sync in your portfolio smile.gif
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh - thanks for the replies and ego-boosting guys smile.gif

DAZ - Yeah, I agree that those wrinkles at the side of the mouth look a bit odd, especially when compared side-by-side to the other morphs. I had actually thought about doing various normal maps to create the illusion of wrinkling skin to go with the various morph shapes (I remember someone posted a great video of someone who had done exactly this and it looked great)... I sort of ran out of steam though before I got to that part!

THE_PODMAN - huh huh huhuhuh huh...you said "bum". Yeah, trying out some lip-synching is a good idea... Im not too much of an animator though but it could be fun smile.gif

Heres some final posed renders... its been a long trawl getting this one finished... ahhhh, time to sit back n relax for a while now!

posed1.jpg

posed2.jpg
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha so nice! He looks just like my oncle!

Impressive sharpness on that last render, I like how you used a rather dense mesh for the ingame model, it really makes it shine.

Congrats!
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Simply awesome smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    That kicks ass! I love his expressions.

- BoBo
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message