Home Technical Talk

HighPoly, Sub-D, Normal mapping. Where to start?

DimitrisT
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
DimitrisT polycounter lvl 17
Anyways, after living in the World of Warcraft for the last 1,5 years(have old users been deleted or are the forums just revamped?), I've finally started to do some modelling again. And well it seems alot of things have happened since then...

Now don't get me wrong. Im really excited and anxious to start learning all the new techniques and what have you, but I'm kind of overwhelmed atm. Seems there's just so much laugh.gif.
I've been searching the different CGI boards over the few days looking for a good place to start with my highpoly endeavours(for normalmapping to lowpoly game meshes primarily) but I mostly find threads regarding the theory behind SubD's and vague tutorials.

So I figured I'd see if anyone here has been in my position and if they have any advice as to what road to follow smile.gif.

I use 3dsmax and have mostly been doing lowpoly work earlier(500-4000tris), so a practical guide on SubD's in max would be ace if anyone knows of one. I havent checked the maxtutorials yet though, I'll have to do that when I get home. Also if you know of any good books on the subject feel free to mention those aswell.

Any help is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
/Dimitris

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Keep it all quads, and read up on edgeloops. That's about it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What's taking me the longest time to learn, is how to make certain shapes subdivide properly. In the case of a certain fountain I made recently, it was HORRIBLY painfull, trying to get the sides to blend correctly into the angled base front.

Aside from that though, it's really a breeze. Painting a diffuse/spec map for a normal mapped model is amazingly fun, as you concentrate on details, instead of lighting.

All in all, I'd suggest practicing a LOT. I've built about 20-30 normal mapped assests in the past 3 weeks, for learning purposes. I've learned a huge amount within that timeframe, with thanks to MoP, Eric Chadwick and Ben Cloward. Everyone here on Polycount is more than willing to help people out, so be sure to ask whenever you get stuck smile.gif