Home General Discussion

Something stupid

nfrrtycmplx
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
I think MMPORPG's should take it a step further and give each race their own language... and as part of the game... force the player to learn their races language ...

... you're right... bad idea

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I've been meaning to take some time off and learn Black Speech, Khuzdûl, Quenya, and Sindarin. But right now it may be more beneficial to learn Spanish.

Ash nazg durbatulûk!
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    They already do that in SWG. Just everybody except wookies speak common most of the time. Wookies can only speak wookie but can learn other languages so they can at least understand them.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hollowmind: I think he meant that the player himself has to learn a language (like Klingon, Elvish, etc), not that the game will tell him "you don't understand what that guy is saying, learn his language for 100 credits". That may work (and probably is already implemented) in some kind of uberdork MUD.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah.. the way it's currently implemented in games is stupid... i want to make the player learn an actual language.. and the developers to actually write a language for each race... that would be hott
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    of course, you learn Gargish in UO.

THAT'S RIGHT, GARGISH, THE LANGUAGE OF GARGOYLES.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would you enforce that upon players?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I would just kill anyone who didnt speak my language. You know... in case they were "making fun of me"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yep, bad idea smile.gif

The warcraft system of Horde and Alliance having a different language ( but still being able to gesticulate at each other ) but of course that language is actually English on both sides is simple but works a treat.

I don't think we need to make mmorpgs even more of a life/time sucker now do we? smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally want to try and set up a 20 man raid and not be able to communicate with 95% of players...

WoW has languages for each race, you can take the time to learn them and you can even force your character to speak/type in them but for the sake of everyone around you, all players on your side speak common as default. That doesn't mean you can't be the only guy on your server spouting things in dwarvish, you can, but it is not default. It would be hell trying to get anything done if langs where forced...
    It also makes sense that a common lang exsists, since dwarves, elves, and humans all fought several wars together. Communication is key in war.

General Joebob[human]: opps sorry mr dwarf I thought your sneeze was the order to lead a calvery charge, next time get your tiny ppl out of the way of the big horsies oOOookay?
    General Joebob pats ironkeg on the head
    General Ironkeg bludgons Joebob to death with his bare hands
    ***!ALLIANCE LOSES!***

Alliance common is different than Horde common so when you come across a player of the oposite faction all you see is,

mogoguypan says: ogg klesk uorg moh
    which means: suck my utters b!tch

I think its perfect the way it is in WoW. Its not so much of a pain in the ass that I have to spend 6 months learning 8 langs just to play the game. But I COULD do that, IF I wanted to, which I don't... as I suspect 95% of the player would also like it, a nice side option but not manditory.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think other games like Everquest and Ultima Online (if in doubt, bring up UO, any thinkable feature probably has been in there first) included that already.

Though I could really imagine that some MUD out there forces its players to learn fantasy languages, I mean MUDs are for the hardcore nerds so I wouldn't put it beyond them.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yep, bad idea smile.gif

The warcraft system of Horde and Alliance having a different language ( but still being able to gesticulate at each other ) but of course that language is actually English on both sides is simple but works a treat.

I don't think we need to make mmorpgs even more of a life/time sucker now do we? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only that it is (was?) hackable by changeing ONE file on the CLIENT side!!
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Why the hell put more languages in the mix.
    If you've ever taken the time to play Guild Wars, Final Fantasy XI, etc..

you'll be barraged with German, French, English, Korean and Japanese speaking playing. Try learning them first, then when the world is proficient enough to actually communicate without speaking slowly and loudly. smile.gif then we can think about making up language to learn that have no use outside of a game environment.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wouldn't be that hard to enforce really, if a weapon that was built by a race could only be described in the race's language from which it was made, then in order for the player to beable to use and upgrade it properly, they'd have to learn the language... would be kinda fun if you ask me... and i'm pretty sure that the language that is shown for the horde if you're on the alliance is just garbage... and not a real language.. a series of random words that are generated for that line of text that is typed... nothing real.

who wants to develope these languages with me... ?

we'll base it off of english, that way it's simple... any other language is too stupid to worry about anyway.. like, who the hell speaks spanish anymore anyway? and... german... pahpee kock....!!! it's all rubish...

btw... the topic of this post was indeed.. "something stupid" smile.gif... and i did say it was a bad idea.

i love you
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    like, who the hell speaks spanish anymore anyway? and... german... pahpee kock....!!! it's all rubish...
    i love you

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh only about 8 per cent of your nations population.

It's a really silly idea sorry. mmorpgs do not need to be more time consuming than they allready are. I see them ruining peoples lives, and yeah, I said ruining. I see friends at work getting fatter and less and less social all the time. I'm cold turkey with WoW, and intend to keep it that way.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    laughing skull man, we're starting new characters.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if a weapon that was built by a race could only be described in the race's language from which it was made, then in order for the player to beable to use and upgrade it properly, they'd have to learn the language

Since only NPCs and a few hardcore RPers will completely ignore requests in another language and NPCs have very limited vocabularies there will probably be sheets of common phrases for each language detailling everything you need to progress in the game without having to really speak the language. Some people will probably hack an auto-translator into their client.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    我吃着桂香小圆面包

ik eet een kaneelbroodje

я ем плюшку циннамона

yo estoy comiendo un bollo del cinamomo

and finally

i'm eating a cinnamon bun...

apparently chinese and russian aren't valid languages in polycountdonia... boo! another reason we should make our own...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't you just liense Klingon or Elvish?