Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly Zbrushed Guy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I'm still learning ZBrush so there are a few problems here, but overall I'm really pleased with this. This is my first try at a model using ZSpheres which are pretty damn cool once you get used to them. I decided to keep the poly count to a manageable level but perhaps another tesselation would have been worth the slow chugging of Maya trying to calculate it. I'm still having mad problems getting anything resembling sharp edges (I eventually just gave up all together on the shoes because I was running out of time). If anyone has any hints on how to get best results out of the pinch tool (or any other hard edge giving tool that I'm not aware of, I'd be grateful).

A few other things that I'll do differently next time - face needs greater allowance for geometry, particularly around the ears. the face could probably use a bunch of zspheres for the features to give better results. Likewise the hands and feet could have used some more geometry.

Proportionally, I think I've gotten pretty close. The ribs stick out a bit too much at the back but overall, given that I've never tried anything this detailed before, it came up pretty well.

So without further ado...
81c.jpg
81c.jpg
81c.jpg
Shoes look really nasty from the back. I'll probably go back and fix them up if someone can give me some sharpening pointers. Then perhaps a Normal map will be in order.

Replies

• J.I. Styles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J.I. Styles polycounter lvl 18
    Just a few quick suggestions for you before I go to bed:

- selectively mask off areas and do edge loop subdivisions to detail localised areas (eg, face can always do with a higher subdivision than, say, the inner thigh.

- for hard edges, I usually try laying down your main bulk, then growing out the mass on the sides of the edges, then shrink the edge in softly with a finer brush ( this gives a tight "valley" sort of formation) - once this is formed, the pinch tool loves it, set it to a high threshold (I usually go maximum), and run it along your edging to pull them into sharper tight edges progressively. If the edging is too extreme, you'll need to smooth out the bulk of the mass since it'll be pulled taut.

- proportionally, be careful about relations -- it may look ok until you look at the overall context of the anatomy; he's suffering a bit from the "midget" look (eg, head height versus chest height versus arm length versus hand resting position etc).

Keep going, zbrush is a frustrating app to properly get to grips with, but is also very fun at the same time smile.gif