Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

high poly practice..

Titan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Titan polycounter lvl 18
hey all, trying to sharpen my high poly skills, seems a requirement now to get a job....I just came off a 3 month contract at Gearbox Software..so I am trying to land somewhere else..this piece is an informal art test for someone I know...as well as a portfolio piece...
comments appeciated..I'll post more as I complete it. thank you.

Max 7, zbrush2
testrender.jpg

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ron Pearlman!

Looks pretty good, but I think you need to work on the way muscles are defined. Right now it looks sort of like he was made out of sculpy, with his pecs glued on. Same sort of 'stuck-on' look is happening in his abs.

all-in-all much better than anything high poly I've attempted.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good, i agree with what sec said, i'm learning high polymyself, its a trickysy beast
  • Titan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titan polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys
    the final model will have the shirt on...I had a softer version of the muscles but someone else had mentioned that they looked too soft so I chiseled them a bit...I'll try to find somewhere in between. I am using a fitness magazine as reference, and before that I was trying to do comicbook proportions, which just looked bad...lol...thanks
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Paul!

This is looking good, the head looks cool, and I see you put some more definition around the inner elbows. But there's still some strangeness in the clothing. I think it might be that the fabric looks wrinkled, but there's something missing. Maybe it's gravity, or maybe they need to look more affected by the shape of the legs. I always try and draw pants as if they are hanging off the legs, the wrinkles seem to make more sense when you approach them that way. These pants look like they have more float than hang. (Uh, what?)

I would definitely hate to get hit by this guy. Ow!

Good luck with the test!

/jzero
  • Titan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titan polycounter lvl 18
    thanks Jzero..I updated the shoes in the above pic...I think I have all the elements in there now and I'm gonna make a few passes over everything to try and make fixes and tweaks...
  • Titan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titan polycounter lvl 18
    I think the top pic is about as finished as its gonna get for now...I'm on to some other stuff.....thanks..
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the chest muscles, mainly the abdominals seem very weird, like if they were stones , they seem over defined but still with no definition .. agh cant explain, basically i would try to look at some pics and figure out whats looking odd.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the chest muscles, mainly the abdominals seem very weird, like if they were stones , they seem over defined but still with no definition .. agh cant explain, basically i would try to look at some pics and figure out whats looking odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know what you mean, i think you should move his abs up more closer under his chest, and defining his obliques a bit would be good too i think, and perhaps a little vascularity on his biceps and forearms if you want to push the detail a bit further, good job though, he looks good, his physique reminds me of mark wahlberg's, perhaps use that as a better ref:

marky.jpg