Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heading Practice

Manic
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Manic polycounter lvl 18
hey, thanks to all those that offered me tips on my modelling and texturing before.

I've decided i need to practice my heads more, as well as modelling in general i guess... so my plan is to post heads i've made up here on one thread, and with any luck, we might spot some progress!

here's my latest offering, i like it, although the hair needs to be sorted out, i think i need to think about my UV arrangments a bit more in future...

oh and he looks like an emo kid ooo.gif
newhead3%20WIP.jpg

cheers

Manic

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the texture on this one much better. I didn't mean to imply on your last head that it looked like it was painted with a mouse, but I was remembering when I was starting to get serious about textures and I didn't have a tablet, and I just ket plugging away.
    I think the shadows around the nose look a bit unnatural and I think other shadows could be darker.
    One thing I notice is that the skin looks a little smooth. Instead of smoothing with a soft edge brush, you may want to try using a 'natural media' brush (one with bristles) and scattering turned 'on'
    I think it looks pretty good! Keep up the practice.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Why the new thread?

anyways, its a definate improvement. are you still using poop for reference?

the skin seems awfully monotone. do you by chance use burn&dodge? I used that tool way too much until recently when I finally sat down and learned how to paint with my tablet. Now I hardly ever touch the tools. Painting with colors is just toooo fun. My advice is to set brush size and opacity to stylus and get sloppy with the colors. keep on scribbling, layering it all on, and you'd be surprised how the picture starts to come out of it. Thats been my experience, anyways. and I'd save the noise layer until the end.

like ninjas said, keep up the practice!
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    hey, thanks for the support!

sectaurs: yeah, i proberbly didn't need a new thread... nevermind.

i painted the texture in colour, in fact i think i used the dodge/burn tools about twice. i think my gradient ramp needs a bit of tweaking. Thanks for the tips on brushes, i was using the soft brush, and it does make things a bit flat and uninteresting.

i should have posted wires too, but ran out of time, so here they are.

newhead3wires.jpg