Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Ogre Tyrant paint job

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
as most of you may know here at mythic we are working on an upcoming Warhammer fantasy game www.warhammeronline.com and to get in the mood a chunk of us at work have started playing tabletop warhammer games weekly, i'm just getting into ot for the first time and starting up a Ogre army here is my Tyrant, just frehsly painted, i made the stand out of sculpey all i need to do now is add some sand and grass to the stand tommorow, and he is done! tyrant03.jpgtyrant04.jpg i've painted a couple of goblin figures, and squigs before him but i'm still pretty new at painting, but i'm pleased with him

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyrant05.jpg oh just to show size
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    w00t! NICE stuff, especially since they are small and hard to paint. i want to get some figurines too, but i fear i will give them poor color choices frown.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i love his flower dress!! your my hero
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the thing to remember with painting miniatures, is to use a LOT of contrast, because they are so small, its a good idea to have very defined area's with high contrasting values when your painting things like the face, and muscles, even armour, depending what it is hehe.

it looks like, but i cant be sure, that youve used some washes or inks to fill in the shading? its sometimes useful, but i would get into the habbit of painting up from a base colour, it gets a much smoother result, and you will have more control over the end result.

with armour, like chainmail, focus on a drybrushing technique, where you dab your brush into the paint, then remove as much as you can with a tissue, or something, then lightly brush over the model. itll leave a very fine spread of paint on the desired area, you can get a very nice weathered effect that way.

ive been keeping a close eye on Warhammer Online, and often thought that my knowledge of the miniatures, and games would come in handy if i ever applied for a job with Mythic, but my 3d skills arent up to par. so nevermind :P
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really nice, it doesnt have the overdone shadeing that most people do on figurines (i mean the ones that looks like badly done dodge-and-burn textures).
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    having painted a few hundred miniatures myself, I have to agree with Gir, a full Army just looks better when painted with a bit higher contrast. Still, very cool though. I didn't even know they had an Ogre army out. I forced myself to get out of the hobby, because it was taking up too much time and money.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are the tusks on his belly part of the base model? They look a little... impractical. Otherwise, nice work. You're better than I ever got when I used to paint these things back in highschool.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    indeed great paint
    been painting warhammer 40k figurines myself, damn hard, but damn fun smile.gif damn, now that I saw yours, I definitely have to go back to figure paintings, got 2/3 dark eldar figures that need some painting love tongue.gif
    hope warhammer online will be as close as possible to the original table top game, there was som much stuff to do there smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack the ogres believe that their powers come from their stomach and their constant apatite, so they protect their guts with huge metal plates the more powerfull ogres have gutplats that are lavishly decorated such as this tyrants with its giant tusks, also one of the ogres attacks is a bull charge, where a whole unit will just charg and run over enemys, i asume the tusks would be verry pratical for that,
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool job, mojo! I haven't painted any miniatures really for years, but i know they can be a bastard to photograph nicely (you can actually stick them in a scanner and it comes out better than a photo, if you're careful).

I agree about the contrast thing, this guy looks a bit muddy here and there.

i like the detail you added to his fabric with the yellow pattern.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the Ogre's are so freaking awesome, I really want to get some. I hope they're in Warhammer Online.

You might need to simplify his color scheme, it looks like there's a bunch of color washes for blood and filth on him but it makes him look a bit muddy. (lol, didn't see Mop's post, I'm basically saying the same thing)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    jesus h, man. Haha. DAISIES ON THE PANTS? I'll kill you.