Home Technical Talk

XSI UVW mapping question

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
JordanW polycounter lvl 19
So I've heard that XSI already had a form of UVW mapping simmilar to max8's pelt mapping, it's called like cluster mapping or something? I cant seem to find much documentation on this, is there anyone who can shed some light on this for me?

Replies

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    What is it you want the uv mapper to do? I don't know what this pelt mapping is exactly.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    pelt mapping is a new word for a method max8 uses for unfolding a mesh properly. i think it sounds very similar to the unfolding method Wings3D has been using with UVcharts.

in XSI, you can select a series of edges to create a edge cluster, then disconnect them for seams, then apply a texture projection and select Unique UV's and adjusts its properties. I don't always get the results I'm looking for, but I'm wondering how effective max's pelt mapping is with similar complex shapes. It's all about where you place your seams. After adjusting UV's in the editor, freeze, then weld boundary edges to have your mesh whole again. Wings works best for me so far with a little practice.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the info GX, i'll try that method on my next character or something and see how it works out.