Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kobold

BigL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BigL polycounter lvl 18
This guy is from the Monster manual, a rule book contains creatures and monsters for the role playing game D+D, it's a Kobold as the name entails, a lizard man type creature about 3-4foot tall. I think the proportions are off, but I can't seem to figure out where and by how much. I would appreciate your views on this.

kobold8nn.jpg

BIGL

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, looks like a pretty good start.
    I think the geometry around the crotch needs some work to have a better flow and be less rigid (it's all straight lines at the moment). Also that'd be needed for better animation deformation.

As for the proportions, they seem fairly good, although I'm not very familiar with the D&D Kobold look - I'd suggest maybe making the torso less wide, lengthening the legs (although the thigh area seems about right at the moment), and bulking up the arms a bit. I think mainly the wideness of the torso is what's making it look a little strange right now.

Keep it up!
  • BigL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigL polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so I spent a few messing around with what you said, added some aedges to the arms to bulge the biceps more where it meets the forearm, and extended the pecs defining lines to the centre, bulking them out more.

I thinned him out too somewhat, although I think I may do that some more. Lengthened his legs, angled the edge loops around his groin.

kobold2sr.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I think that's looking better already. smile.gif
  • BigL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigL polycounter lvl 18
    Messin around with the body again, this time adding hands. I still need to define some more shape on them, but all the neccessary adges are there. Now the head - which, being honest I have no ideas as to where to start. The head is basically a stylized lizards head, of which there is almost no reference. I've tried at least four seperate times to come up with a decent head model sheet, to no avail.

Any ideas?

kobold3zr.jpg
  • BigL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigL polycounter lvl 18
    I have tried afew times now to model a lizard head, all of them complete failures. Could anyone give any tips perhaps. Currently I start with a five sided box and model out half of the head. I haven't tried yet modeling by edge extrusion, but will hpefully try that tomorrow.