Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gatts/Gattsu/Gats/Gutz/Guts

Mr Ray
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
Heres wip of the texture. He is just unsder 3k tri's with all his accessories.
Two 512² textures, one fot the character and one for this addons.
Got some of the base texturing done but, still need to add the fine details and change some of the colours like his main aromour for example.

The colours on my model look totally different on my crt and my tft monitor, which one should i trust more??

th_Guts15.jpg
th_Guts14.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Never trust a LCD. Some companies won't even allow any texture-related position to use LCDs.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    how about trusting a monitor that's using some standardized color matching profile? there's a reason why Photoshop is so insistent upon this business of color profiles. That's what you should be looking into, not getting hung up on LCDs vs. CRTs nonsense.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with gauss, had this problem last year at school, as we were using lcd screens, my texture weren't looking the same at all on the lcd and on the crt, then I used the little tool provided with photoshop (the gamma loader if I'm correct) and set both screens to match the same color profile, and everything was cool ! smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thinking about it, won't most PC gamers these days be using LCD screens? doesn't it actually make more sense to use them in (PC) development, if thats how most end users will view the stuff?
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amouro polycounter lvl 18
    maybe but like they said each LCD looks different. so then you'd rather make the texture on a monitor that displays as true to life color as possible, instead of making it one one that is very off.
    but i play alot of games and i can't stand using LCDs. most of them seem very fuzzy to me. i'd rather have my display look good than have an extra foot of space on my desk.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I use a mac widescreen CRT and dont really see any difference in colors (besides the fact that they look more vivid and contrasty) to my old calibrated monitors.
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Gotta admit, I prefer my old IIyama CRT for playing games, if only because the black colours are actually black. But, for anything else, my new IIyama LCD is brilliant.

Iv spent ages getting my games to look exactly like they did on the old CRT, the colours are exactly the same but even now the blacks are a dissapointment. There is always a very slight glow from the screen (only on dark images and more noticable on the top and bottom edges) so blacks dont appear 100% black even though its a good quality monitor.

Anyway, for games development (art/textures/3D) its still far superior to the old CRT (and I have so much desktop space now, I dunno what to do with it all!)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    what gauss said plus if your LCD is vga, throw it away. (Or sell it) Replace it with a DVI model, they have perfect colours I don't care what any LCD basher says, a DVI LCD is the top of the pile concerning monitors and thier performance, followed by CRT then vga LCD.

It's likely that even if you do use Photoshop gamma loader (I'm also using this on boot up), it'll still look different on a vga LCD. They are only good for word processing and 2nd display for tools. Artists should buy DVI only.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    To more of the point of the model

The shoulders are too far apart. The arms look really odd becuase of this, makes them seem too long and thick. It should basically be almost lined up with the hips, just a bit more out, if not right on it

The head is definately too small...partially becuase of the shoulder thing, and partially because it is scaled too small

The toes also look really wierd...I think it's because you gave the "boot" so much height, and it has such a steep incline to bottom out...just looks odd, but then again some art has that intention, so if that's what you were going for, it's fine. I personally don't like it, but that's me

I think there should be one more ring on the knee, it will look really pointed animated. Not to mention that the lines are sooooo close, that when it does animate, the texture will stretch like your mom's vagina o_O

Looking great besides that though
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx for the info on the colour profiles, did a bit of googling on it smile.gif. Ive just recently got a new pc and it came with a LCD, first time using one properly tbh.

Yea Hawken its a dvi. It came with a dvi adapter but i didnt use it, just plugged it into the vga port. Ive plugged it into the dvi port now smile.gif

Thnx Death for the model crits, ive moved the shoulders in and scaled the head alil. i totally forgot about the knee joint. The feet might look wierd because of the angle? i always rotate them 10deg.

The armour looks abit washed out because i forgot to apply a layer, my bad.

So how are the proportions now??
    th_guts17.jpg
    th_guts16.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks **ALOT** better bro, grats, however still a few things smile.gif

I almost want to say that the shoulders should come in a *bit* more...but i see your going for a definately strong/buff look...and i guess if you did that it would take away from that...so maybe just keep it the way it is

However, going for that look or not...I just realized that your (wow, i forgot the name of the muscle, but its basically your shoulder muscle, just before the tricept and bicept) has like, no defintion and doesnt seem to be the right size. It basically flows straight into the bicept, and that's not realistic. Try and push the "point" in a bit more by bringing the bicept down a bit, and just forming it.
    Also, it's skinned too small...that muscle actually flows from the pectorals...and the way you have it, it doesn't match up...bring that down a bit and should be good

The head still looks wierd...and i think thats because you modeled it in an angled fashion (like \ / )...maybe try making the head a bit bigger, or maybe just try making it like | |

either way skin and model are looking great...love the single hand armor
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the deltoid i believe =] and yeah, it should have an almost spherical apearance from the front as it connects to the upper arm.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! that's it! laugh.gif thanks gir wink.gif
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished it yeasterday, al post some front, side views tomora morning.
    th_Gutsf1.jpg
    th_Gutsf2.jpg
    th_Gutsf3.jpg