Home General Discussion

Pixar at Siggraph

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Saw this link on another forum, very impressive stuff.

http://www.vidimce.org/publications/lpics/

Replies

• pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    That was an awesome video . That would be completly awesome for getting nice renders for your portfolio ...much better then anything else that I have seen that is out there real-time . I wonder if the real-time lighting system for Unreal 3.0 will be something like this ?? From what I seen in that video something like that would be a huge advantage for level builders at the very least.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That was pretty interesting!
    I noticed they never rotated or manipulated the rendered view angle during the course of the presentation.

After seeing the breakdown of how the system works, I guess it is applying some approximations & effects to a 2d image and its component channels. It uses some kind of normal map & depth rendering to inform its lighting rather than true 3d model.

Sounds like an intelligent & novel approach to a challenging technical hurdle.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Good point, it makes me think of zbrush rendering actually.

I won't pretend I know anything about programming or am a pro at zbrush but it seems to drop the model to a 2d image then perform the calculations (could explain rendering a few million polys in a few seconds).

I think controlling the reflections and having it automatically create the lightsource was one of my favourite bits in the video.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    It's meant for lighting. so once the camera shots are setup this passes are done and thrown out so the lighter can get a better idea of what each light would be contributing to the scene instead of re-rendering out the shot each time for small changes to the light.
  • JBoskma
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    very impressive indeed....