Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I *heart* ZBrush

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
My first crack at ZBrush based on an old Maya model I had laying around. He's not all that detailed and was done mostly as an excercise in working out how everything works so he looks bit weird, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

Props go out to Poopinmymouth for his Frog video tutorial
4fc.jpg
4fc.jpg
Feel free to critique if you like, I dunno whether I'll be doing any more work on this fellow though.

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yea , you fell for he trap of trying to define too much volume in z brush.
    i try and get most of the hard work done in max or maya and then paint minimal surface detail in z brush.
    If you try and do too much volumizing in z brush it can come out looking 'lumpy'

Not saying you can't work like that , just I have found it easier the other way
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Oh I know, I am so in Love with Zbrush. and getting "past" bad geometry goices in the base model is just amatter of cranking the counts higher, and a bit more sculpting. But man I am loving just the calmness and "Zen" of making things work. I wish I could show you all what i am doing in Zbrush, but NDA and all.

Scott
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I tend to make the base model, teswt it in z brush for potential problem areas, go back and fix them then test again until I have a base model worthy of z brushing, then I go for it.

Z brushing can be very relaxing i agree though,like stroking a cat
  • JBoskma
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    The ears anatomy is all wrong smile.gif, congrats on actualy producding something with ZBrush though. That's hard enough for most people.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, yeah, the ears are pure half finished Maya, untouched by Zbrushes tools.

I actually find the interface far more intitive than either Max or Maya. Its weird to begin with, but once its been explained it feels much more like an artists tool than a tool made for artists by coders. Lovely program to work with, a lot like working with clay which is where my background lies.
  • Isis' Minion
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, but you seem to be having the same problem as me. Whenever i try to make buttocks, i create them while looking at the back side of my character. Then when i turn to a side view, the buttocks stick out way too far. Imo this has happened with your brows as well...or was that done intentionally maybe?

Anyways, it looks better than anything i've been able to produce with Zbrush so far, so kudos for that.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    you *almost* sound like you are blaming the dodgy ears on Maya there Jackablade ;-) But no, that would of course be silly smile.gif

Not bad, it's a little strangely lumpy in places. You'd probably benefit from examining a specific piece of ref. more closely. Keep stabbing away at it though. If I could make a complete head from painting geo as opposed to pulling verts around I'd be a happy man.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Only because it doesn't ship with an automatic ear generating script. I -like- Maya now Daz, you can stop playing the over protective parent now tongue.gif