Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4 model

swartsz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swartsz polycounter lvl 18
Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums after watching them silently for a long time.

i would like to ask you for some comments or criqitue about this model and texture.

31.jpg

thank you

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a rifle :P

You should atleast post the stats (polycount and texture resolution). If it were 300tris and 128x128 texture i would say unbelivable yet if it were 100000polys and 2048x2048 texture i would say its rather poor...
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    looks around 800polys with probably a single 512x512 skin, maybe 2, one for the gun and another for the removeable parts.

looks nice. personally I'm not a fan of seeing work rendered out via Brazil/Mental Ray/Renderman/etc. As the lighting models are far beyond what you'll see or be able to have in-engine, even with GI and such turned off.

I would say that an issue I can see is that the normals don't compliment the texture. You seem to have just blanketed it with a 90-180 Normal Grouping; pulls the light in across some areas you might really want to keep it sharp. Might seem silly but you can add a world of difference through normals. smile.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The painted lighting on the texture looks nice while the gun's laying flat on the ground like the lower one in the pic but once you turn it into the normal use position the light seems to come from below the horizon. That makes no sense.
  • swartsz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swartsz polycounter lvl 18
    First of all, thank you for your input.

the polycount for the model is 1708 and has a 512x512 texture for the m4, plus 256x256 textures for the scope and the grenade launcher. The render was made with the default 3ds max renderer.

I am quite new at making textures like these and the lighting was the hardest part on this one, hopefully it will improve with some of my next models.

Raven, i am sorry but i do not really understand what you ment with this comment: 'I would say that an issue I can see is that the normals don't compliment the texture. You seem to have just blanketed it with a 90-180 Normal Grouping; pulls the light in across some areas you might really want to keep it sharp. Might seem silly but you can add a world of difference through normals. '