Home Technical Talk

Paint.Net Freeware

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/reviews.htm

0,1425,i=102781,00.jpg

gives commercial photo editing programs some serious competition, which is all the more impressive since it began as a classroom project. This free program was developed by a team of computer science students at Washington State University, under a partnership with Microsoft.

Paint.NET is still considered to be in the midst of development. Yet, its current version, the second beta release of 2.1 (Figure 1), is very usable, stable, and nimble for an application that was created by full-time students within a 40-week timespan. It includes many of the convenient tools you'd expect to find in a commercial photo editor or image paint program, such as red eye-removal, a clone stamp, and color replacer. At this stage, most of the features that the original Paint.NET developers wanted to put into the program have been implemented.

For many on the Paint.NET team, taking part in developing a photo editor was motivated by love of the commercial products — which, in turn, affected how Paint.NET itself was designed.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    peanut: While these are all well and good, why are you posting a separate thread for each one and (from what I can tell) copy+pasting blurb text from each one into a new thread?

Can't you just make one thread called "Freeware image editing applications" and post them both in there? It makes so much more sense.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    True my apologies, those are the only 2 i had in mind.

hope you'll like

PS: for 3 1\2 minutes i really thought i could get away with it, me posting 2 threads about 2 different program Sheeesh! Polycount felt like un-moderated

cool.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    looks like an adobe product, and sounds like a microsoft product thumbdown.gif
    but still a cool project from students.

it would be cool if something like this came pre-installed on a windows system. Haha...MSPaint. HAHA.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know, it sound really odd but I hope shit like this doesn't come with the OS. Paint is only cool because its so god damn basic, its quick and easy to load without really altering anything else (Photoshop and Max for me can be a bummer where as Max and Paint= teh win). The only thing that paint needs is its compression algorithms or w/e it is that causes GIFS with a solid background colour to dither and get all spotty >_<.
  • Raven
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I posted about this about a month ago in the program listing thread. Still has a very long way to go, but is getting there eventually; nice to see someone else who likes it though. smile.gif